Author Topic: Project stalled  (Read 1158 times)

Offline jjbunn

Project stalled
« on: Friday,April 15, 2016, 07:22:37 PM »
I'm on the finishing straight for getting 0701R running and back on the road, but for some reason I'm finding the remaining little jobs overwhelming and I'm losing momentum and enthusiasm  :-\

Here's what I have left to do:

• Attach handbrake cable at drums and check operation
  • Continue brake line bleeding and then do brake adjustment
  • Install rear window (already spent a lot of time on this - a nightmare
  • Fit door seals (ones I have simply don't fit, not sure what to do) and final door adjust
  • Fit wheels (already have new tires attached)
  • Fit seats
  • Check front suspension tight and complete
  • Fit steering wheel, and horn, check operation
  • Complete attachment of sunroof (after rear window fit)
  • Touch up paint chips caused while fitting doors!

I just came here looking for inspiration, really  :))

Offline rascott

Re: Project stalled
« Reply #1 on: Friday,April 15, 2016, 08:21:58 PM »
not really one to talk, but i figure there will always be more to do.....
my "strategy" has been to gain function, and play with the rest as i can.
heck- you're in socal- you can do without the sunroof and even the back window for a little bit(since summer is nearing).
gotta have brakes, a seat, and a steering wheel, though!
mabe driving it will be the inspiration?

i will put off removing the back window on mine for a bit, until you report success on install of yours.
richard

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Friday,April 15, 2016, 11:06:21 PM »
I'm on the finishing straight for getting 0701R running and back on the road, but for some reason I'm finding the remaining little jobs overwhelming and I'm losing momentum and enthusiasm  :-\

Hey, that's not so long of a list you know ?  we all go through the "fed up with the heap, where's the matches ?" feeling so trust me, you're right on course  :)

My rebuild stalled for years at one point, I was just fed up with the idea of working on old cars and I just left it under a sheet for ages.   The car didn't need much work but I just couldn't face it for some reason.  I really don't know how or why I went back to it, but I do remember making a list and then only looking at one problem at a time rather than letting the whole list overwhelm me.  I realised that I'm too easily distracted - I tended to start on one thing and then move like a butterfly to another issue with the net result that I'd spend all morning and get nothing fixed properly.   

I have a works training course to thank for that revelation, I thought I was multi-tasking but really I was just achieving nothing.  So the "one job at a time" worked for me and once you get the feeling of progress you'll be flying again.

Brian

Offline buzzer

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,April 16, 2016, 01:15:22 AM »
Oh I wish I only had that to do!  As Brian said one job at a time. But pick an easy one first to knock it off the list.  But when you come across one that just does not want to work, sometimes it's best to stop that and pick an easy one or leave it walk away and come back tomorrow. Quite often it then seems much easier.  Mind you, took me over a month to fit the rollcage in mine and that was just a bolt in one !
Good luck with it.
I plan to complete my brake circuit today and start to fit my wiring loom

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Saturday,April 16, 2016, 01:19:08 AM »
I find that you just have to be in the right mood to want to work on the car, or you get angry, do things wrong, rush things, and inevitable get a bit more hand damage and start leaking.

It is raining all day today here in Norfolk, so cutting the ply panels to replace the holes where the firewall used to be on 3089R will have to wait for a dry day.

Alex in Norfolk.

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,April 16, 2016, 04:07:28 AM »
That's really not so long a list. I would follow rascott's plan and get it on the road first. You're likely to look at your car a lot differently after you drive it! Of course, that may cause you to put off noncritical repairs and mods since driving it is so much fun!

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,April 16, 2016, 05:07:15 AM »
 :I-agree:
The Devil is in the details, so they say.
I tend to envision a task in my mind & end up dreading it, but when I actually complete said task, it wasn't that bad, (sometimes).
I am also EASILY distracted, which as stated, tends to be counter productive.
The old adage does hold true, a job begun is half done.
Chip away at the stone.  :welder:

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,April 17, 2016, 11:09:36 AM »
Thanks so much everyone for the positive messages! It's given me new motivation - to whit, I've ordered some different door seals which have a much smaller rubber bulb, which will maybe work.

Offline CCM911

« Reply #8 on: Monday,April 18, 2016, 06:43:34 AM »
I am in the same boat, but not as close to the finish line as you.  I have removed one of the rear soft brake lines, and now lack the motivation to finish up the replacement.  Once done, I can move on to the engine, but there just seems to be so many things to do that I nap instead.

I am sure we will both complete our projects, though.  Merely a matter of time.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #9 on: Monday,April 18, 2016, 01:00:38 PM »
I find the best way of approaching a long task is to make a "to do" list, and then pick which one you fancy when you are in the right mood.

For some things, you need total dedication, for others you can do them in a hour or less.

Plus make a proper list of the bits needed for each thing on the list. It is very frustrating to start something, and then early on find that some small part is not to hand, or a bolt shears.

Preparation for tackling a long list is vital to avoid thinking, "stuff it, I just cannot be bothered". Small steps to climb a mountain, not giant leaps.

Alex in Norfolk, (currently about halfway through #3 restoration 3089R).

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Monday,April 18, 2016, 01:37:30 PM »
Something that I started later than I should have is a notebook or log. I can be handy to see what you did, when you did it, and why. Some time later, that might be important or useful. Taking pictures as you go is handy, too and helps give you a perspective of your progress. You generally feel better about your project if you can see you're making progress!