Author Topic: Europa TC Tachometer  (Read 423 times)

Offline TheKid#9

Europa TC Tachometer
« on: Thursday,July 13, 2023, 01:28:58 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I have an original Smiths Tachometer of a Twin Cam Special for sale. Face, chrome bezel and needle are in very good condition. It will not work with electronic ignition. I was able to find another original tach that would, so I no longer need this one.

Someone can convert it to electronic ignition if they would like.

Price $150 OBO - if you want pictures please email me at chrislotus9 @ gmail.com

Thanks,
« Last Edit: Monday,July 31, 2023, 09:30:53 AM by TheKid#9 »

Offline TheKid#9

Re: Europa TC Tachometer
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,August 22, 2023, 08:46:11 AM »
Bump - I'll be at LOG this weekend and can bring it up so no shipping costs.

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,September 07, 2023, 08:37:28 PM »
Bump

Offline Bud

• 416-949-2778
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,September 12, 2023, 07:09:03 AM »
Dumb question but how do you know if your tach will work with electronic ignition. I have a 74 TCS that I am putting on the road shortly

Offline gideon

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,September 12, 2023, 07:59:49 AM »
There is a company called Spiyda that supplies electronics to convert your tachometer to work with electronic ignition.

https://spiyda.com/tachometer-electronics.html

Serge did a video

https://sleurs-motorsport.com/?p=2130

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,September 12, 2023, 08:31:50 AM »
I bought a Spiyda kit and in spite of very good and constant technical help from Spiyda, I was not able to get it to work. Spiyda sent me a replacement kit (actually two, one was lost in the mail) and I was not able to get that one to work either. Serge’s video is very clear and there is another, more detailed, pair of videos from a guy who uses a Spiyda kit to convert his Jaguar tach. He was also successful. In the end, I sent my tach to West Valley Instruments (https://www.westvalleyinstruments.com/) who knowingly chuckled when I told him what I had tried. Either he’d seen it before or possibly, he was tooting his own horn, so to speak. It wasn’t nearly as inexpensive as the Spiyda kit but it does work and according to the guy at West Valley, will work with any ignition.

Obviously, the Spiyda kit can work but I did everything the instructions, the guy at Spiyda, Serge’s video, and the Jaguar guy’s video said to do and I couldn’t get mine to work. The good news is that the Spiyda kit is inexpensive so it’s worth a try but I felt compelled to relay my experiences.

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,September 12, 2023, 09:45:57 AM »
My tach has really never worked, it worked for a for years and then nothing. We actually tried to use the Spiyda kit but wasn't able to make it work either.

It would be best to get this tach and send it off to a pro who can set it up and make it work with electronic ignition. If you are interested, please let me know. I'm open to offers.

Thanks,