Author Topic: WTB: Steering column Housing for 73 Europa Special  (Read 900 times)

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
WTB: Steering column Housing for 73 Europa Special
« on: Sunday,December 13, 2015, 08:05:16 PM »
Hello all;

Looking for the housing that covers the signal and high beam stalks for my 73 Europa Special.  Would like a perfect one, but will also consider damaged units that I could use as a sample to possibly make a new one.  Let me know what you have, Thanks Allan

Offline BDA

Re: WTB: Steering column Housing for 73 Europa Special
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,December 13, 2015, 08:24:47 PM »
Good luck finding a cover... I see from the caption on the bottom photo that you've learned about the 'Lotus Position!'  :))

May I suggest taking out the seat and putting a pillow under the dash if you're going to spend any time under there?

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
« Reply #2 on: Monday,December 14, 2015, 06:32:43 AM »
The first picture was one I found on this site that was sold for $55, and the second picture was just off the internet. So I assume these things are around from time to time.  But if I can get the specs or a damaged one to go by, I could just CAD out the part, 3D print the two halves out and cover them in Vinyl or leather.  With the new 5th generations of these machines, I can use ABS plastic which is very robust and usable for certain parts.  I just replicated a set of Cosmic Wheel hubs and they came out great, so if all else fails, I could just make them myself lol.  But still need one to go by.  The left hub in the picture is the 3D printed part and the right is the original. 

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Monday,December 14, 2015, 07:16:46 AM »
I suppose they do pop up from time to time. Keep an eye on ebay and you may be rewarded. The original was made of fiberglass and covered with vinyl. Even if you find one in bad shape, you should get it as it should be easy to restore it.

I don't know much about 3-D printing other than what I've seen but I assume that would also be a good route. Maybe some body will lend you one to scan (or get scanned?).