Author Topic: Lotus 62 ISH  (Read 4359 times)

Offline 61Elite

Re: Lotus 62 ISH
« Reply #15 on: Saturday,August 25, 2018, 06:12:36 AM »
Here are a couple extra pix of the 62, as well as a group photo.  I managed to corral  them together and sit still for a family portrait.  Elan is my normal summer daily driver.

Went to the Log with the Elite and 62Ish.  My wife drove the Elite and I drove the 62ISH. Log was well attended and the Cleveland group did a great job.  Very nice weekend. 

Suspension geometry on the 62ISH is stock Esprit, with the exception of the front lower A Arm.  Originally the Esprit of that era used the sway bar to locate the lower a A Arm.  I changed that to a true lower A Arm as in the later Esprits.  Shocks are Pro shocks with adjustable perches.  The car is much lighter than an Esprit, so  I had to use adjustable perches to be able to adjust the ride height.  Spring rates were by trial and error. 

Offline BDA

« Reply #16 on: Saturday,August 25, 2018, 06:40:51 AM »
That's where you store your Loti!? Beautiful collection and great garage (I assume your tools are off camera which implies a very large place). Will you be filling it up with more Loti?

Did you enter the casual concours? What category did you choose for the 62ish.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #17 on: Saturday,August 25, 2018, 01:02:23 PM »
Didn’t realize you owned both cars when I saw them at LOG38.  Very nice! Your 62 makes an appearance in my video “LOG38 Road Trip”. 

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #18 on: Monday,August 27, 2018, 10:42:16 AM »
Beautiful collection! I'm digging the Elite.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Nick74R

« Reply #19 on: Saturday,September 22, 2018, 08:49:40 AM »
I thought I had done quite a satisfactory job, but your car looks to surpass mine  - fantastic job and well done. Only wish you were in the UK so I could come and see it. More photos please.  :beerchug:

Offline 61Elite

« Reply #20 on: Sunday,April 26, 2020, 12:14:35 PM »
Due to the current social and travel restrictions in place because of the C19 problem, I seem to have more time for the internet (as most of you, I am sure).  Anyway, I would solicit any opinions about whether I should add the wings to my 62 ISH.  I just do not know which way to go.  Installation requires drilling holes in the body, so is pretty much irreversible.

The 62 was initially designed to resemble the, then new Europa. And after testing showed a lack of downforce, so it started to sprout wings. There were various wing configurations tried, but the "iconic" 62 look is the high mounted canards on the front, and split "boards" on the rear.  Of course adding the wings gave downforce, but the trade-off was lower straight line speed.

Currently, I do not have the wings on the car, but I have constructed a set to see how it would look and if I liked the end result. I still do not know.  The car really looks clean and uncluttered without them.  Especially at the front.  With the wings on, it breaks up the flow of the body line, and I really like the way it looks.  The templates for the wings were given to me by Alex Bollinger, owner of one of the original cars. 

Anyway,  here is what I have come up with.  Opinions are welcome???????????:).

Also,  there was a question a while back about the storage area for the cars.  The barn is 40' X 80'.  It is split in half.  40 X40 for the cars and 40 X 40 for trailers and equipment.  The workshop is a separate building 36' X 24'.  I am running out of room, and I had to decide whether to sell something, add on, or go vertical.  I chose the latter.  I built a set of ramps to sit  at 90 degrees to the long ramps of my old 4 post lift. 

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #21 on: Sunday,April 26, 2020, 12:54:21 PM »
Personally,  I prefer it without the wings.  It's stunning.  I'd also love to see more pictures of the Elite.... please.  I know it's a Europa forum, but I doubt anybody would object!

Offline BDA

« Reply #22 on: Sunday,April 26, 2020, 02:47:47 PM »
Well, now I'm envious not only of your LOTI but your barn and workshop! Congratulations on keeping it very tidy!

I wish someone bade a kit car that looks like a Chaparral 2F (without the wing) and even though I wouldn't have have that wing on a street car, I think I would probably use the conards and the rear boards, especially with the Gold Leaf livery. But it sounds like you like a less "cluttered" look so you should make yourself happy!

Offline gideon

« Reply #23 on: Sunday,April 26, 2020, 06:59:27 PM »
I would vote for the wingless 62ish.  The simpler outline is more classy somehow.

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday,April 28, 2020, 06:28:49 AM »
What an awesome build that is! Stunning looking car. I especially like the wheels with 5 hole PCD, because no other Europa has it.
Every piece of the car looks great. From my point of view, the "wings" (which more look like pieces of sawn timber BTW) would stall (is this a correct use for this word?) the beautiful lines and shapes of this unique car.

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #25 on: Tuesday,April 28, 2020, 11:55:32 AM »
Unless you were going to use the car on a track, I would leave the wings off. The car is aesthetically perfect and a show stopper just like it is. I am glad you went vertical and didn't break up your collection.

Offline 61Elite

« Reply #26 on: Sunday,May 03, 2020, 05:26:42 AM »
Thanks for the comments.  It actually confirms my wifes' attitude about the wings, and the way I have been leaning.  I just haven't been able to bring myself to mounting them, and then regretting the decision.  The wings have been "roughed out", but I think I will just leave them that way, put them on the shelf, and if/when I ever sell the car, they can go along with it and let the next guy install them if he wishes.  I think it really looks god the way it is.

Offline BDA

« Reply #27 on: Sunday,May 03, 2020, 06:44:45 AM »
I think she's gorgeous with or without them. You have to do what's right for you.

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #28 on: Monday,May 04, 2020, 10:00:06 AM »
I don't know if it is an option in you mind but I like the lower chin spoiler you have installed over the original.  If it was me and it was primarily a street car, I would probably put the rear wing on but leave the front with your lower lip only.
Ross
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter