Author Topic: new owner '74 TCS misc ?  (Read 11473 times)

Offline Richard48Y

Re: new owner '74 TCS misc ?
« Reply #15 on: Sunday,November 08, 2020, 07:18:44 PM »
"Stromberg's swapped to Webers", ah, I just noticed, NOT DCOE's!  :(

Too many links on the 'Web, but somewhere I recall seeing a more modern upgrade to the old Stromberg's.
Stromberg's are actually not that bad if properly tuned. I have them on a couple of cars.
I expect someone got frustrated and a slick salesman persuaded them to buy the downdraft Webers you now have.
As mentioned above, not a direct flow path so not a real improvement.
I will see if I may find the Stromberg replacements.

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #16 on: Sunday,November 08, 2020, 09:48:48 PM »
Those are my thoughts on what happened to the original strombergs as well.  I didn't let it discourage me when purchasing though.  Will enjoy ridding of the current carb setup and am looking for any and all suggestions on what would give it the best

performance/proper flow.  Strombergs are what I'm leaning towards at the moment.  Thank you Richard, yeah definitely let me know if anything worthwhile is found.

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #17 on: Sunday,November 08, 2020, 11:42:17 PM »
Found them!
Weber 45MCHH, basically half of a DCOE and intended to replace Stromberg's.
They are seeing as lot of use on TR6's and similar British cars.
Apparently pretty new to the market, I believe they should be a bolt-on to your head.
Since they are essentially DCOE's and use the same jets, chokes, and venturies, tuning possibilities should be great.

Not as great as a true Weber head but almost certain to be an upgrade from the right angle flow you now have. And NEW, not worn out or "Rebuilt" to unknown quality.

No, I have no affiliation, but I am happy to see a new solution that does not require adding a computer.  :))

EDIT: Hmm, seems the Weber Carb 45 MCHH may have been too good to be true.
I cannot find a current source for them.
They were originally conceived for use on Harley's.
One post I found said that Spain/Weber were in financial difficulty so some products were suspended.
Might be worth more research.
« Last Edit: Monday,November 09, 2020, 12:20:52 AM by Richard48Y »

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #18 on: Monday,November 09, 2020, 04:18:46 AM »
V-performance.com sells Mikuni carb kits. Click on Mikuni link on left side of home page and then Scroll down there are comments etc. on a Twin Cam Stromberg conversion. They are on a '74 Europa TCS.... The guy made comments. 42, 45 & 48mm sizes available.
« Last Edit: Monday,November 09, 2020, 04:32:09 AM by TurboFource »
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #19 on: Monday,November 09, 2020, 06:06:33 AM »
+1 on the Mikuni flat slides.  Webers have a lot of junk in their bores: main and auxiliary venturiis, butterfly and spindle and accell pump nozzle.  The Mikuni flat slides have just an extremely thin needle and an accell pump nozzle.  Also, as stock, the Stromberg heads flow better than the Weber heads.  If I had a Stromberg equipped car, I would go to Mikunis rather than fit a Weber head.

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #20 on: Monday,November 09, 2020, 08:15:58 AM »
Checking out the v-performace site with the Mikuni carb kits and that is looking like a way to go.  Thank you for the link. 

Honestly I'm surprised the engine is able to perform as well as it does with my current carb set up but yeah they have to go.  They are doing the car a disservice.  Going to study up on my options and try to land on a decision by the end of the week.

Appreciate all the input.

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #21 on: Monday,November 09, 2020, 08:34:55 AM »
Hello Lumbes!

:Welcome:

Mark

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #22 on: Monday,November 09, 2020, 09:05:18 AM »
I believe that hose originally went to the vacuum system for the brake servos. If they have been removed then that hole in the manifold should be plugged. Otherwise you will have large manifold leak. Where is that hose currently going?
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday,November 10, 2020, 07:26:44 AM »
Checking out the v-performace site with the Mikuni carb kits and that is looking like a way to go.  Thank you for the link. 

Honestly I'm surprised the engine is able to perform as well as it does with my current carb set up but yeah they have to go.  They are doing the car a disservice.  Going to study up on my options and try to land on a decision by the end of the week.

Appreciate all the input.
If you decide to go the Mikuni route, be sure to keep us posted. I am very curious about the Mikunis, and I'm sure some others are as well. I am currently in the process of replacing my worn out Strombergs with fresh ones, but I must say the Mikuni option is intriguing. The cost seems reasonable as well.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #24 on: Tuesday,November 10, 2020, 09:00:54 PM »
I plugged the breather hole on the motor and left the tube connected to the carb with the other end hanging out behind the trunk connected to nothing.  Don't know if that is right but the catch tank and charcoal canister are no longer part of the system.  Looks like

the tube from the carb would fit if I would remove the plastic reducer from the breather on the engine.  Leaving it how I mentioned above unless someone on here says I should change it.

Really leaning towards those mikunis from v-performance.  Looking like a worth while switch.  I'll be sure to post my results if I go with them. 

Offline BDA

« Reply #25 on: Tuesday,November 10, 2020, 09:15:36 PM »
You need to vent the engine. If you don’t vent to you air filter housing, you should at least vent to a catch can which can be a bottle the hose goes into.

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday,November 10, 2020, 09:34:39 PM »
Okay thank you.  Any problem with removing that plastic reducer or whatever it is in the breather hole?

Offline BDA

« Reply #27 on: Wednesday,November 11, 2020, 06:13:43 AM »
No. All you’re after is a vent..

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #28 on: Thursday,November 19, 2020, 01:51:22 PM »
Pulled out and tore the old breather grommet which was a hard pvc from the crankcase and ordered replacements from rdent.  They are rubber and I connected the breather tube from the carburetors to the crankcase with ease.  Nice snug fit and all seems well now.

E-mailed v-performance in regards to the Mikuni HSR dual carb kit and they can ship it out for the first week of December so that is a go. 

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #29 on: Thursday,November 19, 2020, 02:39:22 PM »
Really curious to how the Mikunis work out!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....