Author Topic: new owner '74 TCS misc ?  (Read 11480 times)

Offline Lumbes

new owner '74 TCS misc ?
« on: Saturday,November 07, 2020, 11:10:05 AM »
Do any of you know what I can do to fit this...?

It is a federal tcs with the strombergs swapped to webers.  The "breather tube" (not sure what it's actually called) fitting is too large.  Will have to downsize just not sure on where to start.  Also the cap on the cam cover leaks a little.  Would like to stop that leak but the cap looks great.  I assume its just the rubber seal inside.  Any way to just replace the rubber?  Thank you

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: new owner '74 TCS misc ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,November 07, 2020, 12:56:41 PM »
First post.

:Welcome:

Are you saying that the breather tube will not fit in the hole in the head?

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,November 07, 2020, 01:04:10 PM »
 :Welcome: Lumbes!!

That tube is supposed to connect to the airbox. If your air filter will allow you to connect a breather hose up to it, you might try adapting it at one side or the other (at the head or the air filter). You could also just run a hose to a catch can and then you could use any size that's easy.
« Last Edit: Saturday,November 07, 2020, 01:07:13 PM by BDA »

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #3 on: Saturday,November 07, 2020, 01:10:39 PM »
Lumbes...First of all, welcome to the community!

The oil cap seal is no big deal, you can first try the poor man's method and just flip it over.
 If it's cracked or brittle you can easily fabricate one...or hunt down a like replacement.

The breather fitting into the cylinder head can be replaced or the hose if you prefer. Your local hardware or major box store should have what you need.  I used a standard barbed gas fitting.The venting oil vapors can be sent directly back to induction via a separator/ catch can if you desire.

The hose is typically attached to the air box or air filter. The factory set up was a solid steel tube.     

Offline Lotuswins

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,November 07, 2020, 03:26:02 PM »
Yes, welcome Lumbes,

The cap on the cam cover may be overwhelmed by the cam lobe below it throwing oil up at it.  Check under the cap if there is a sheet metal piece blocking the oil being tossed at it.  If not there, then get one from Bean or RDent.

The oil breather tube is a must, at least to minimize leakage of the motor gaskets since the Twink can build up crankcase pressures.  The stock steel tube had a spark arrestor screen in it also to prevent a pressure wave on carb backfire.  It looks like the DPO left a bit of the old tube in the grommet to connect to.  Just get the appropriate tubing to connect to the inlet side of the carbs, behind the air filter.  You may have to modify the filters on those ugly webers to make it work though.  LOL

Jerry Rude
4005R

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,November 07, 2020, 07:41:42 PM »
Thank you everyone for the replies

No sheet metal under the cap but I like that idea so going to order one from one of those places, thank you.

Let me see if I have this.  The breather tube that is coming from the carbs should go to the airbox that isn't on the car and the breather hole in the cylinder head should be connected to the black cylinder tank that is not in the car but would go in the brackets?

I've added another picture below showing more of the engine bay

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,November 07, 2020, 08:00:01 PM »
The black cylinder tank I think you are referring to is a fuel catch tank as part of the emissions system (http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/tcparts/l/tcla.pdf). Since you don’t have the standard induction, I can’t be positive but I think the breather from the carbs goes to the breather in the head that you asked about earlier.

What you used to have is pictured here: http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/tcparts/e/tcej.pdf
#9 is the original breather pipe between the head and the airbox (#4). This is what you need to replicate with your current carb setup.

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,November 07, 2020, 08:08:45 PM »
Okay I'm starting to follow what needs to happen here. 

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,November 07, 2020, 08:32:13 PM »
If you’re familiar with the idea of a positive crankcase ventilation system, that’s what you’re implementing here. Pressure in the engine is relieved by venting the block (in this case via the head) with a connection to the carburetor which sucks some of the air out of the block.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,November 07, 2020, 08:47:29 PM »
Looks like you already have a hose somehow hooked to the front air filter.  Now you just need to get the right parts to hook it up to the head.  A fuel safe hose that fits snugly into the hole in the head and pipe that fits snugly into the hose should do the trick.

BDA, positive crankcase venting (PCV) uses controlled manifold vacuum to pull air from the crankcase.

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,November 07, 2020, 09:05:41 PM »
I'll drive the car out to some local shops tomorrow probably advanced auto being it'll be sunday.  I think they are open till 5pm in my area.  Thank you for all the information looks like this will be cheap and easy.

Eventually I'd like to have high compression pistons n the better cams installed.  The car drives great and the engine is smooth just down on power a bit being its all federal spec minus that carb conversion.  I assume I'm less than 100hp currently being that's what they were like new?  Around 130hp sounds nice and that is just over what the domestics were making right originally so should be possible with enough $$$?  That's another and much more advanced rabbit hole that might not even be possible for me this year but I will dream.  Will be happy to not destroy the engine seals further in the mean time though. 

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #11 on: Sunday,November 08, 2020, 05:29:24 AM »
You'll be losing power with that carb conversion.  That's a very torturous route for the mix to have to travel.

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Sunday,November 08, 2020, 06:31:27 AM »
BDA, positive crankcase venting (PCV) uses controlled manifold vacuum to pull air from the crankcase.

Thanks for the clarification, JB.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #13 on: Sunday,November 08, 2020, 07:57:58 AM »
Interesting. First, welcome to the forum Lumbes!
I was confused by your photo, so I checked and realized I don’t have the breather tube you are referring to. My PO seems to have plugged the hole. I don’t seem to have any significant oil leaks. Should I be concerned?
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #14 on: Sunday,November 08, 2020, 08:20:02 AM »
The first rule is always, "If it's not broke, don't fix it."

That said, you must have a breather somewhere.  Look around.  Maybe off the valve cover?