Author Topic: WTB: Heater cable and knob  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Lotusjps

WTB: Heater cable and knob
« on: Wednesday,March 04, 2015, 10:47:11 AM »
Does anyone have a cable that controls the heater valve available?  I need a push/pull cable but want to make sure it's the original knob style.

Thanks,
Don

Online BDA

Re: WTB: Heater cable and knob
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,March 04, 2015, 11:14:02 AM »
Sports Car world used to stock a lot of rare used parts so you might try them first (Dave @ Sports Car World dot com, (972)-620-7285). After that, you might try Moss Motors but their knobs aren't likely to match the Lotus OEM knobs. Richard at Banks sells heater cables (exch. and universal). I suppose that means that if you have a knob, he can make a copy of the OEM cable or he can sell you a generic cable. It might be worth a call (do not send email) to him just in case (http://www.parts.banks-europa.co.uk/). After that, your best bet is to find someone who has a basket case and hasn't started parting it out or who has done something else with his cable - a slim possibility, I would think.

Good luck.

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,March 04, 2015, 05:41:17 PM »

Online BDA

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,March 04, 2015, 06:37:13 PM »
Yellow knobs!!!

Blaster, you have an S2. Do you know if you have your original heater and choke cables? Do they have yellow knobs? The TCs had black knobs in the same style as the dimmer and headlight knobs. The graphic on the "face" of the knob has a red flame on it. Here's the headlight knob taken from the owner's manual. The flame goes where the headlight graphic is.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,March 04, 2015, 06:39:06 PM by BDA »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,March 04, 2015, 08:31:52 PM »
No, the yellow knobs are not original, just the bracket I suppose.  S1 Europas had the letters "C" and "S" on the knobs.  "C" was short for chauffeage (heating) and "S" for Starter (choke).

http://s250.photobucket.com/user/jbcollier/media/control_heat_and_choke.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/s1parts/p/index.htm

http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/s1parts/t/t2.htm

Offline Lotusjps

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,March 05, 2015, 08:25:17 AM »
Interesting, I didn't realize they varied that much between models.  I'm looking for the black one from a TCS that matches the other knobs.  http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/tcparts/index.htm

I'm wanting to replace the choke cable (since my car is fuel injected) and use it for the valve on my accuesump (for pre-oiling).

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,March 05, 2015, 04:08:33 PM »
Ok, here we go... @BDA,
Had never really looked at the face of the knobs, (or even given it that much thought) so I went out & looked...
One is definitely not original, the other has a symbol of what looks like; to be best described as, the tube Mario jumped in at the end of each level in the Original Nintendo Mario Bros video game, with something spraying out of it... ???
Whether this depicts fuel or heat coming out of the "Mario tube" I haven't a clue...
If it helps it's on the passenger side... (71 S2 Federal).
The pic has a little glare on it but you get the idea...
Maybe JB will chime in again & enlighten us...

@Lotusjps, if you think this might work for you let me know, maybe we can work something out, as I don't care all that much if my cables are original or not...

« Last Edit: Thursday,March 05, 2015, 04:42:09 PM by blasterdad »

Offline Lotusjps

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,March 17, 2015, 11:25:38 AM »
I ended up cutting the original choke cable off and drilling out the knob.  Then bought a universal choke cable and cut off the inner solid wire and soldered it to the original knob.  Now I can control the accusump in the car and everything still looks original.   :)

Online BDA

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,March 17, 2015, 11:42:19 AM »
Very cool! I'm considering something similar using the knob for the dash light dimmer as a choke cable knob.

Offline JasonH

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,April 18, 2015, 05:52:04 PM »
I have that heater cable... The one with the flames on the end of the knob.  When I find it I will let you know.