Author Topic: Oil Pan Seal part II  (Read 442 times)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
Oil Pan Seal part II
« on: Tuesday,November 02, 2021, 10:49:17 PM »
I destroyed my oil pickup by aligning my aluminum oil pan on 2 bolts (3rd photo-blue circles) and raising it straight up with a hydraulic jack.  The steel plate in the pan had an opening not large enough for the pickup to pass through.  It required the pan to be offset forward and slid rearward so the pickup would clear the plate’s narrow gap.   Lifting straight up didn’t cut it and the weakest point failed.

The pickup has been repaired  and the plate reshaped so I can once again attempt to gasket and seal the oil pan by aligning it on the bolts and raising it  straight up. 

Whew! This oil leak hunting is getting old.

The modified pan is ready to go back into place.  The third photo’s red arrow points to the dip stick that was shortened to fit the aluminum pan.  The stick’s notches are explained in the drawing below.  Four quarts brings oil to the second notch which is 1 cm beneath the plate.  Filling it to the halfway point between the second and third notch should be enough to fill two remote oil filters and the oil cooler at the car’s right rear corner. 

Hopefully by the weekend this adventure will be over and I can get back to driving it.

Bruce
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline jbcollier

Re: Oil Pan Seal part II
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,November 03, 2021, 06:17:36 AM »
Those blobs of silicone can break free and become real engine killers.

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,November 03, 2021, 08:49:31 AM »
There were 2 lines of silicone.  The outer one caused most of the blobs.  The inner one ran around and between the holes.  This time I will skip the line between the holes but they still need to be circled.  Possibly less height on the silicone will reduce squeeze out.

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,November 04, 2021, 12:46:13 PM »
Used half the recommended 1/4” bead width, only 1 line and had minimal squeeze out.  Hope this solves my leak and blob issue. 
« Last Edit: Thursday,November 04, 2021, 12:48:30 PM by LeftAngle »