Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168419 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #1335 on: Monday,March 23, 2020, 04:01:38 PM »
  I guess my last post did not go thru, Glen. It went something like this:

I hope you steered the new owner here so we all can get reacquainted. I’m sure he/she will have some   
Great stories of some long ride trips. Maybe even a LOG event and some more trophies for his collection.

We value your input and newbies will listen 😀
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #1336 on: Monday,March 23, 2020, 08:16:04 PM »
This thread is the top topic according to the number of replies!!!

Congratulations to you, Certified, for having the top topic, a great build, and (presumably) a great sale!  :beerchug:

Even though you no longer have a Europa, I hope you find a reason to hang around!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1337 on: Tuesday,March 24, 2020, 02:55:42 AM »
  I guess my last post did not go thru, Glen. It went something like this:

I hope you steered the new owner here so we all can get reacquainted. I’m sure he/she will have some   
Great stories of some long ride trips. Maybe even a LOG event and some more trophies for his collection.

We value your input and newbies will listen 😀
Dakazman

Thanks Dave. My restoration blog was the reason Grundy Insurance would insure my Europa TC  for $40K.  I directed the potential buyer of my Europa to this site and my detailed write-up which he read with great interest. It was what convinced him to buy the car.

Each of my Lotus rebuilds has been a journey with lots of memories that will last a lifetime. This Europa had the most memories and it represented a true team effort with all the help I got from many of you along the way.  And some of you got to help me in person. Many thanks to all. I’m pleased others will pick up some info along the way that will help in their restoration.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1338 on: Tuesday,March 24, 2020, 02:58:36 AM »
This thread is the top topic according to the number of replies!!!

Congratulations to you, Certified, for having the top topic, a great build, and (presumably) a great sale!  :beerchug:

Even though you no longer have a Europa, I hope you find a reason to hang around!

No worries BDA, I have Europa blood now. I’ll still wander onto this site and read how many of the various new projects are going and perhaps chime in with some tidbit of insight. It’s truly been a great experience with all of the forum members.  :beerchug:

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #1339 on: Tuesday,March 24, 2020, 04:30:27 AM »
Glen,
There's nothing better than people coming together and working towards a common goal...friendships, and memories are the fruits of your labor. Thanks for the journey! ld

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #1340 on: Tuesday,March 24, 2020, 07:56:02 AM »
I too hope you will stick around Glenn. If for no other reason than answer questions from future generations of Europa restorers who will benefit from this book of a thread you wrote.
Cheers,
Tom
 :beerchug:
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1341 on: Wednesday,March 25, 2020, 04:09:06 AM »
Glen,
There's nothing better than people coming together and working towards a common goal...friendships, and memories are the fruits of your labor. Thanks for the journey! ld

Absolutely great memories Lou! Thanks for helping get the rear window in!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1342 on: Wednesday,March 25, 2020, 04:10:25 AM »
I too hope you will stick around Glenn. If for no other reason than answer questions from future generations of Europa restorers who will benefit from this book of a thread you wrote.
Cheers,
Tom
 :beerchug:

Thanks Tom! I’ll be around with a few comments here and there. Glad we got to meet in person at LOG!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1343 on: Sunday,March 29, 2020, 01:44:34 PM »
Said goodbye to my three year Europa TC project. The entire experience was a great adventure and I learned a lot. The best part of the entire rebuild/restoration was all the new friends I made along the way. Now when I see a Europa I know the secrets behind the enthusiast’s compete admiration for this exotic sports car.

I bought this Europa from the second owner who lives in Minnesota. Amazingly, the person who bought this Europa from me also lives in Minnesota. And that is where it’s headed.

On to my next Lotus adventure.........which I’m half way through the planned mods.

« Last Edit: Sunday,March 29, 2020, 01:49:15 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #1344 on: Sunday,March 29, 2020, 02:07:48 PM »
Those are some sad pictures...

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1345 on: Tuesday,March 31, 2020, 05:41:26 AM »
  Sad for sure.
And  with a deep breath it’s gone.
Dakazman

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #1346 on: Saturday,April 04, 2020, 06:30:25 PM »
yes, but on the other hand, i'm quite delighted that decent money is spent on a very deserving Lotus.   I love seeing big money being shelled out for the purchase.   it's about time, and still falls short of other Marques less deserving IMHO and mass produced!   these rare,  hand built, limited production, racing pedigree, artistic beauties, are still undervalued and should fetch big bucks!

TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline BDA

« Reply #1347 on: Saturday,April 04, 2020, 07:01:18 PM »
I agree, Ted. I celebrate every well sold Europa sale. I also celebrate Certified's sale at what I expect was very favorable to him. I guess it's an issue of perspective. If those pictures were of a great Europa being delivered to a friend rather than being picked up at a friend's house to be delivered to an unknown new owner, I would have a much different sentiment.

Actually all participants should be congratulated and the new owner is of course welcome to join us and I hope he does!

Offline chrisbeck

« Reply #1348 on: Thursday,June 04, 2020, 02:01:00 AM »
"Set everything up and started on the new fiberglass instrument binnacle for the tach, speedo and function display lights (The OEM binnacle was warped from heat).  This required drilling of a number of holes to prep for install. Made a Loews run as I didn't have 6 x 1/2 stainless steel screws in stock. Need those to screw the binnacle to the back of the dash."

I'm looking at options to make a copy of the instrument binnacle in fibreglass. Can I ask, did you make yours or purchase it?
Thanks, Chris

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1349 on: Thursday,June 04, 2020, 04:29:46 AM »
Chris, I bought the binnacle off eBay. Someone is making them here in the US. Unfortunately I don’t have the info as it’s in the binder that went with the car when I sold it.
« Last Edit: Thursday,June 04, 2020, 04:40:40 AM by Certified Lotus »