Author Topic: Fuel pumps  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Gmg31

Fuel pumps
« on: Thursday,June 02, 2016, 03:35:21 AM »
I'm at the stage of my rebuild/restoration when I'm going to start fitting new fuel lines and I'm wondering about the pump.  At the beginning of the project I stripped down the old manual pump. cleaned it all, inside and out,  and re fitted it.  I was just wondering what members experience is of fuel pumps.  Do people stick with the original or are members moving towards electronic pumps.  Are there any issues with pressure too high or too low.  How do you feel about filter king filters and regulators?
« Last Edit: Friday,June 03, 2016, 01:31:31 AM by Gmg31 »

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
Re: Fule pumps
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,June 02, 2016, 03:57:58 AM »
I went the electric route, although there was nothing wrong with the mechanical pump, I found the cranking time was a little excessive. I removed the pump, installed a blanking plate and a Facet low volume pump with a 3-5 psi range along with an adjustable pressure regulator by Moroso. It made all the difference and fires up quite nicely...The pressure build up can be heard once the Ignition is turned on by a few audible clicks...then crank it over....ld   

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,June 02, 2016, 05:46:53 AM »
I second Lou on the Facet fuel pump. IIRC, they make several models. The one I have - and I bet the one Lou has - is a small box shaped affair. They are solid state and some sell them with a fuel filter. The ports are usually 1/8" NPT, but you can get them with AN -6 male nipples and probably other configurations. They are pretty inexpensive too. They come in different pressure ranges so make sure you get the low range like Lou got. I got mine at Dave Bean (it might be nice to throw him a little business after he lost his house in a wildfire), but lots of places sell them.

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,June 02, 2016, 05:54:48 AM »
I use the Facet 'Silver Top', $97.99 from Pegasus Auto Racing.  I located it on the right hand side of the engine bay on the fiberglass forward of the right rear wheel and mounted it with rubber shock mounts.  It is mounted upside down with the removable cap accessing the 74 micron filter at the top.

Tom
74 TCS - 4605R

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,June 02, 2016, 06:51:26 AM »
Nothing wrong with the original pump.  Did you fit a new diaphragm?  They can crack with age and use.

If you fit an electric fuel pump, fit one with the correct fuel pressure rating.  In this case, low, 2.5 to 5 psi.  Trying to tame a high pressure pump with a fuel pressure regulator is not a good idea.  Fuel pressure regulators are fine for triming off a few psi.  Commonly available rotary fuel pumps from Carter and Holley are really, really noisy and have too large an output -- unless you have a 426 hemi shoe-horned in there.

Fit a safety shut-off circuit!!!  You do not want the pump to keep running if you are in an accident!!!
« Last Edit: Thursday,June 02, 2016, 06:53:01 AM by jbcollier »

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,June 02, 2016, 02:21:10 PM »
One problem with the stock mechanical fuel pump is its location - really close to the starter.  Should the fuel pump leak and fuel drips on the starter motor, the next start could cause a fire.  Many Europa's have died in a fire.  I have a shut-off switch on my steering wheel that shuts off electric fuel pump and the ignition.

Tom
74 TCS - 4605R

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,June 02, 2016, 06:58:25 PM »
One problem with the stock mechanical fuel pump is its location - really close to the starter.  Should the fuel pump leak and fuel drips on the starter motor, the next start could cause a fire.  Many Europa's have died in a fire.  I have a shut-off switch on my steering wheel that shuts off electric fuel pump and the ignition.

Tom
74 TCS - 4605R
Gmg31 is running the Renault motor, the starter is on the other side of the block. :)

Offline Gmg31

Re: Fuel pumps
« Reply #7 on: Friday,June 03, 2016, 01:35:32 AM »
Thanks everyone for your views and advice.  I have searched on line for the options you have recommended and will make a purchase this weekend.