Author Topic: Removing the body from the frame  (Read 3927 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Removing the body from the frame
« Reply #15 on: Monday,April 11, 2016, 11:36:37 PM »
If you mean on the chassis, mine only had insulation on the central backbone and a strip across the top of the front crossmember. I'm not sure what benefit that does because there's not a lot to rattle around there.

On the bodyshell the only external insulation I can recall was on the firewall & in front of the petrol tanks. Inside the cabin there was soundproofing under almost all the carpeting apart from directly under the seats, but I don't know if that was original or the original owner.

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday,April 12, 2016, 05:15:19 AM »
I assume the TC and the S2 are the same. My TC had a thick piece on the 'T', then a piece that wrapped the backbone, and lastly a very thick triangular piece that sat where the 'Y' of the frame.

I checked the S2 parts manual and it doesn't seem to list any at all between the frame and the body, but in section BF of the TC parts manual, the parts I just mentioned are 16, 11, and 18. Unfortunately, you don't get a really good idea of the shapes. 11 pretty much goes from the 'T' to the 'Y'. 18 covers the 'Y'.

I used 3/8" closed cell neoprene foam. 16 would be 3 thicknesses, 11 would be one, and 18 might be three (I still had that piece!). I got mine at a local rubber supplier, but if you can't find it locally, r.d. enterprises stocks it or similar.

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday,April 12, 2016, 08:57:03 AM »
My S2 had the horrible smelly hairy soundproofing all over the cassis.  It was very easy to remove and the cassis was perfect underneath.  After advice on here I replaced it with 12mm self adhesive closed cell neoprene matting and sealed the joints with Gorilla tape. On reflection I thought 12 mm was a bit tight and if I did it again I would use 10mm

Offline Runningwild

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday,April 12, 2016, 07:03:13 PM »
Body is off the chassis and on the roller cart.  Never would have believed this could be a one person job. Thanks for all the advice guys. I really appreciate it.  Got the idea for the two straps and a 4x4 under the nose from a picture on the Yahoo site. Between the two adjustable straps, the chassis electric lift and a floor jack, I was able to do the whole thing alone.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday,April 13, 2016, 01:47:10 AM »
Gmg31,

Same comment, I used 12mm closed cell self adhesive neoprene. tight fit! 10mm would be better
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK