Author Topic: TC Clutch driven plate measurements  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Jerryh

TC Clutch driven plate measurements
« on: Friday,September 18, 2015, 06:17:07 AM »
Hi

Can anyone tell me the gearbox output shaft diameter and how many splines it has please on a 5 speed gearbox, also the outside diameter of the clutch driven plate.  I know that the twin cam pressure plate is the same as an Elan but wondered what the Europa TC clutch plate was originally from?  Before I remove the gearbox from the car I want to make sure I have everything ready.

Any help would be most appreciated

Cheers

Jerry

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: TC Clutch driven plate measurements
« Reply #1 on: Friday,September 18, 2015, 08:50:19 AM »
Hi Jerry,

I can't help with the 5 speed box because mine's a 352 4sp one, but I did change my clutch last year.  I can't comment if the plate is the same as the Elan but on the one I used (for the 352 box) there were 21 splines on the plate.

The clutch cover is different from the S1-4 Elans, or at least the S3 Elan.  The Elan cover has a central bearing land on the ends of the fingers, the Europa one just has bare fingers that the bearing interfaces with.   I copied these part numbers from the box the Europa one came in;  Borg & Beck 216mm, LL075, HE2848.

The release bearing is also different from the Elan S3. I think the Europa release bearing was Mk1 Cortina.   I don't have a part number but the dimensions were ID 38.1, OD 68.6, height 15.6mm if you want to look through catalogues.  The front face is curved, sort of hemispherical to land on the clutch cover fingers whereas the Elan bearing has a flat machined thrust face to go with the machined cover.  Hard to describe, the parts books show the differences and I can post a photo if needed.

You could in theory fit an Elan cover & bearing, I had them side by side and everything lines up but the Elan bearing has a smaller ID than the Europa/Renault one and hence you'd also need a carrier for it - so it becomes a much bigger job.

I ended up buying the release bearing from Banks' Engineering along with a new internal clutch fork because mine was broken on one leg.  It is a cast iron thing and apparently failure is high according to Richard.  I must admit if I were doing it again I'd just buy all the parts from Richard because you know it will all fit together.

Brian

ps - be very, very careful with the internal release fork and bearing carrier. My carrier was ok but talking with Richard many break;  they have very flimsy side arms.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Friday,September 18, 2015, 09:12:45 AM »
21 splines for a 5 speed. Just counted them.

Exactly 8" in diameter.

The centre hole is f'ing difficult to measure, but if req'd I will get a caliper on my clutch aligning tool to tell you the int diameter of the cluch tool in mm.
« Last Edit: Friday,September 18, 2015, 09:17:16 AM by 4129R »

Offline Jerryh

« Reply #3 on: Friday,September 18, 2015, 11:41:41 AM »

Hi Brian

Thanks very much for the information, the cover plate is the same as a Elan +2  5 speed I know what you mean about the thrust face on the S1-4 Elan, with 21 splines it does sound like the plate is the same as an Elan 4 speed but that seems unlikely with the Europa Renault box I can't think Lotus changed the input shaft.  Like you said probably just as well going to Banks.  Ive got a NOS pressure plate and was just trying to be clever by sourcing a driven plate without going to the usual suppliers.

Thanks 4129R for the info, if it wasn't too much trouble could you give me the internal measurement? I'm curious to know if it is the same as an Elan as I have a spare plate somewhere.

Thanks again

Jerry

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Friday,September 18, 2015, 11:58:54 AM »
Well............. I have just measured the OD of my clutch alignment tool, and the bit that fits snugly into the centre of the splines of the 21 spline drive plate measures at 21.75mm on my micrometer.

Offline Jerryh

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,September 19, 2015, 04:20:07 AM »
Many thanks for the reply

Jerry

Offline buzzer

« Reply #6 on: Monday,September 21, 2015, 09:40:44 AM »
The centre of the driven friction plate is definitely different to the Elan and is Renault specific. I've been there!! The std clutch is 8.5 inch dia. on TC & TCS

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK