Author Topic: Changing a heater hose.  (Read 916 times)

Offline phil

Changing a heater hose.
« on: Sunday,August 09, 2015, 09:09:36 AM »
Hello all,
I have a leak from the small hose (2 bends in it) which leads from the heater unit to the transfer pipe, I have a new one to replace it, what is the best way to proceed, drain it all down or is there an easier way?
Regards   Phil :help:

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Changing a heater hose.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,August 09, 2015, 09:44:24 AM »
Hi Phil,

If you mean the ones inside the car behind the console, then yep, it will get wet and messy. 

I can't think of a way to drain just the heater so I'd probably just accept the fact I was going to get wet, remove the carpets and just get on with it.  You could drop the overall level from the expansion tank bottom hose but even so be prepared to get some coming from the heater matrix.  In theory it should drain out soon after the level drops below the transmission tunnel but.... this is a Lotus  ::) 

I'd do both sides at the same time if I were you. Sod's law says that no sooner do you get it all back together when the other side goes.....

Brian

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,August 09, 2015, 11:58:37 AM »
If you can't get the heater hoses with bends in them, I lined the inside of the rubber hose with copper plumbing tubing bent to shape, to get the right bend shape, knowing that the inside of the rubber was not going to close up and prevent waterflow like all garden hosepipes do.

I used a little 10mm pipe bender to get exactly the right curve, covered the tube with grease, and slipped it into the rubber and pushed it into place using a drill bit of the right diameter clamped in a vice.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #3 on: Monday,August 10, 2015, 04:26:10 AM »
That's a clever little trick I like that one. I think I'll try that.

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Monday,August 10, 2015, 06:13:56 AM »
Use two pairs of locking needle nose pliers with rubber hose on the jaws to clamp shut the heater hoses at the engine.  Make up a drain guide using a cut up plastic jug.  Place the drain guide under the hose to be changed, use your knowledge of the law of gravity to direct the coolant into a container.  Change the hose and refill and bleed the system.

Offline phil

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,August 11, 2015, 04:59:44 AM »
Ive got a new hose from SJS Sportscars, so I will certainly try this method, I will prepare for the worst!!
Thanks