Author Topic: Clutch pedal fore/aft position  (Read 3244 times)

Offline jjbunn

Clutch pedal fore/aft position
« on: Monday,June 15, 2015, 10:55:53 AM »
Can someone comment on the location of my clutch pedal in the photo below:

It seems to me it is too far back (towards the rear of the car). It's certainly well back of the brake pedal. The rear travel is limited by a little foot/arm that touches the floor, and I'm wondering if mine has been bent, so the pedal comes back too far. Or maybe my brake pedal is too far forward!?

Thanks!
Julian

Offline TCS4605R

Re: Clutch pedal fore/aft position
« Reply #1 on: Monday,June 15, 2015, 11:43:45 AM »
Julian,

First, your clutch pedal pad looks too wide.  And yes, it also looks a little too far to the rear, but the brake pedal looks too far forward and is missing the rubber pad.  The accelerator pedal and cable attachment are not stock.  Attached is a photo of my accelerator pedal assembly.  Your PO has obviously replaced and modified your accelerator/brake/clutch pedals.  There is a forward stop on the stock accelerator pedal - it is the silver bolt you see at the front my metal pedal pad.  My pedal photo also shows a 'back' stop and 'stop' bracket that I have added - it is the silver bolt you see above the cable attachment point.  Below the 'back' stop is the stock accelerator cable attachment point.  A clevis attaches the stock accelerator cable to the bracket on the pedal.

I like the brake pedal to be positioned about even with the accelerator pedal so that 'heal and toe' down shifting is easier.  My clutch pedal is in line with my brake pedal.  You can adjust the location of the brake pedal by screwing the master cylinder rod in or out of the clevis on the brake pedal - don't forget to tighten the stop nut on the clevis after you get the adjustment where you want it.  You can adjust the clutch pedal by shortening and lengthening the clutch cable at the fork lever at the bell housing.

Hope this helps.

Tom Berkeley
74 TCS - 4605R

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #2 on: Monday,June 15, 2015, 11:48:14 AM »
The accelerator pedal and cable attachment are not stock.

The accelerator pedal is correct for a Series 2 Europa ( http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/s2parts/j/jf.htm) , but I agree the clutch pedal appears to have been modified at some point in the cars life.

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #3 on: Monday,June 15, 2015, 12:48:51 PM »
That little ferrel with the bolt securing the accelerator cable is not stock - it should have the cable thru a hole in the clevis with a compression sleeve on the cable between the clevis arms like the accelerator cable - part #9 - on the 's2parts' diagram.  Those little ferrel bolt pieces tend to weaken the cable - the cable can break at that point, usually on the dark road at 3 AM.

Tom

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #4 on: Monday,June 15, 2015, 01:41:11 PM »
I believe the accelerator pedal is stock. It does have a forward stop on it.

The brake pedal is also stock, and the pad is removed in this photo.

The clutch pedal pad is indeed too wide - it's a Ford part! But I am more interested in the fore/aft position of the pedal.

Any other comments on the position of the clutch pedal are most welcome. Perhaps it is fine - it just looks odd to me, but I haven't driven with it yet (that time is still a few months away!).

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #5 on: Monday,June 15, 2015, 01:48:05 PM »
With the extra wide clutch pedal plate, see if you can depress each pedal wearing your normal driving shoes, without hitting the other pedals.

There are some shoes I cannot wear to drive 4129R as they are too wide.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Monday,June 15, 2015, 01:52:15 PM »
Hi there,

There's a section in the workshop manual in the "Brakes" part, which shows roughly how it should go together. This is from the TC manual although I suppose it works for all.

Mine isn't exactly the same, like the others here I tend to have them approximately in a line but on mine I set it so that I can hold the brake on and still get the side of the foot on the accelerator, so at rest the brake and clutch are probably slightly ahead.  On yours, the brake looks too far forwards to me, although I suppose it depends how much pedal travel you have to lock everything up.

Brian

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,June 16, 2015, 09:19:56 AM »
From your picture, it looks like the clutch pedal has been shortened quite a bit.

On my S2s, the brake and clutch pedals are pretty much in line with each other. 1901R has the pedals pretty much vertical to the floor. 2501R has the pedals canted about 15 degrees forward. Both can be adjusted to suit the drivers preference.

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,June 16, 2015, 10:43:47 PM »
I believe the accelerator pedal is stock. It does have a forward stop on it.
Our S2 gas petal is the same as yours, twinks are a little different, the parts manual shows both kinds...

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,June 17, 2015, 08:21:57 AM »
Thanks for all the input and photos. I think the reason my clutch pedal looks shorter is because of the foreshortening of the photo - when I had the pedal cluster out of the car for refurb the clutch and brake pedals and shafts looked about the same size.

I'm not going to worry about the pitch of the pedal for the time being ...  :))