Author Topic: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly  (Read 154805 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly
« Reply #1860 on: Monday,April 24, 2023, 02:11:41 PM »
 Thanks BDA, its been way to long.
  Finally getting rain here, we had no real accumulation in over four months. I'll be in the garage away from the lightening.
  I thought I could install the steering column but I’ll  need to trim the bracket I made for the flashers and led lighting. Tomorrow is another day.

Dakazman
« Last Edit: Monday,April 24, 2023, 03:05:27 PM by dakazman »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1861 on: Tuesday,April 25, 2023, 03:02:15 PM »
 :beerchug:
   After 30 years the Europa has a steering wheel and column again!

I fabricated a 1/4 inch block to fit above the column mount, a member mentioned it being too high .
 His father owned a lotus dealership so I took his advice, but what do I know. The studs seemed too long and looked like it would hit the tach/ speedo housing so it’s done.
  I think it took me longer to get the horn contact ring wire to exit the hole in the column , after I encased all the other wires through a heat shrink shield.
  I’m getting closer to installing the front windscreen but have a few other little jobs to do like connect all the column wires.
  Hopefully I have more rain tomorrow 😂
 Dakazman

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #1862 on: Tuesday,April 25, 2023, 03:49:34 PM »
Getting closer to done!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1863 on: Friday,April 28, 2023, 02:33:05 PM »
Getting closer to done!
    Turbo, sometimes it feels that way , then your 2 steps back.

I'm at a cross roads , do I install the crash pad or windscreen?  I'm not done with the demister vents which is the only thing I can see holding the crashpad in which look to be a b**** to install later.
 I did not get to work on the europa today because my tiberon developed a leaking clutch slave cylinder. I'm not bummed out by it because I installed a new one and also got my el camino A/C to hold vacuum. to further my great day all my efforts to have no oil dripping from the power steering reservoir on the elky and timing chain cover are gone.
  dakazman

Offline Kendo

« Reply #1864 on: Friday,April 28, 2023, 03:38:51 PM »
Don't the four big chrome screws along the top of the dash also go through the front edge of the crash pad to hold it in? (I haven't reassembled, so might have the wrong assembly image)

Offline BDA

« Reply #1865 on: Friday,April 28, 2023, 04:11:48 PM »
That’s right. The vinyl from the crash pad needs to have holes drilled/poked into it for the screws. I’m not sure how the front is secured. My memory from long ago was that was a problem with them and that some pop riveted it down where the windshield lays in front of the crash pad. Maybe glue would be better. I haven’t looked to see what the manual says.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1866 on: Friday,April 28, 2023, 04:14:43 PM »
  The crash pad I had was deteriorated badly, if it had four tangs that came behind the wood dashboard
We’re gone. I made a crash pad modeled after what I had . It is not stock, nor a pad. It’s a glass mold and painted gloss black.
  I could cut it to the lower surface and add the L bracket if needed. Thanks for calling it those mounts.
  Bda, the de mister vents are in and secured. Then the crash pad… secured only by the the thin demister covers, with Phillip head screws.  I’m going to make my own covers and use Allen screws to secure to the fiberglass under the entire assembly.
  I found some pictures .. but I thought I was just going to lay it on top of base and secure as stated above.
Dakazman

« Last Edit: Friday,April 28, 2023, 04:37:28 PM by dakazman »

Offline Kendo

« Reply #1867 on: Friday,April 28, 2023, 04:55:53 PM »
Don't the outside front corners fit under the lower lip of the windshield mounting lip? I thought something tucked under there.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1868 on: Friday,April 28, 2023, 05:27:07 PM »
  I don’t know. I vaguely remember any of the interior from 30 years ago. Speedo says 86000 more like 286k for the condition I bought it.  Lol $ 1,000 with blown motor and no ashtray.😂

Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1869 on: Saturday,April 29, 2023, 04:21:44 PM »
  Made some headway today after doing some weekly chores.  Vacuum pressure on my elky were still perfect. I took BDAs advice and stayed focused on my wiring up the steering column. All was going well until I got to the ignition leads … dang , I put those tied leads on the fuse side of tunnel. I made a flag note saying fuse on the white wire and when setting the dash just put it there.
After crisis averted routed to the left side without taking much apart.  The rest was easy.
   Then the skies opened up and the hail started pounding on everything.  That was it for the day, with only 3 more connections to make.  Storms expected to end about 10pm.

Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1870 on: Sunday,April 30, 2023, 11:42:08 AM »
  After 30 years, I managed to dig a path to the windscreen. After a bad experience with a side window and knowing the replacement cost i slowly lifted it to a platform while standing on the floor joists.
Then down a set of wooden pull down stairs.
  Now safely on a stand, and I notified my wife not to go near it, and the price. 😂 now to dig out the seal and trim.
Dakazman
« Last Edit: Sunday,April 30, 2023, 11:44:02 AM by dakazman »

Offline Kendo

« Reply #1871 on: Monday,May 01, 2023, 11:11:52 AM »
Dave, I don't know if you've seen this dash pad write-up. But it mentions and shows the top chrome screws and tucking the front corners under the body. Hope it helps.

Ken

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1872 on: Tuesday,May 02, 2023, 05:11:31 AM »
  Thanks Kendo,
   I noticed the securing of the flimsy bezel problem, and mentioned it to Sandy long ago.  I fabricated a fiberglass bezel that I could use as a mold to making more.  Recently I covered it with composite veil.
That is where it’s at right now. I’ll probably replace the Phillip screws with Allen’s, and use rivnuts as anchors.
  My S2 had the rubber seal around windscreen, so I’ll dig it out of storage and mimic the cuts on the new seal from RD. The bottom of the glass doesn’t have a lip so I’ll have to read up a little more on how to add the locking trim on the lower side into the sealant or just leave it out completely.
 The old rubber may give me some clues.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1873 on: Tuesday,May 02, 2023, 11:56:58 AM »
  Found the original seals for the windscreen. It matches up with the direct glazed windscreen procedures in the manual. The new seal from RD has an internal lip that catches the body flange edge, just like the rear window seal .
  The lower center would still have to be done as in the manual, with the fact I will need to trim out the internal lip. The new seal on bottom will be secured to the sealant with ac-251 sealant, that we use regularly on aircraft windows that fly at 32000 ft pressurized. So I think it should hold so that the chrome locking strip will go around the entire window.  It does, with new seal allow the headliner to be tucked in neatly when window in.
  Before installing window I’ll also tint the inner side so it mimics newer installed windows. I also have a lotus sun screen to go on but will have to evaluate it.

The bezels for the defrosters can be just secured to my crash pad and I will definitely have to come up with a way to secure it so that I do have to pull out the window. Maybe just glass them on permanently since they won’t be in view from the outside.
  Then some other details to work on stencil for dip switch and turn signals . The other misc is trying to find an exterior rt side door handle for my 2000 Hyundai tiberon , one available on eBay but at 199$ for a used one seems steep.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1874 on: Saturday,May 13, 2023, 02:52:50 PM »
  Step by step , inch by inch…

Working on the demisters grilles, plan B , ordered some aluminum 1/4” plate back in December and had it sitting by waiting to get formed. I still have to add the studs to anchor them in from the bottom of the crash pad. Then figure out a way to secure the crash pad from the inside at any time.

Battery also went in and some signs of life sprouting.
 Dakazman