Author Topic: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly  (Read 154472 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly
« Reply #1845 on: Friday,February 17, 2023, 02:49:23 PM »
  Lol, that’s why I’m finishing thing instead of working on the Europa. I did however find my ac wiring problem and can now install the dash.
  It’s my first time installing dual doce carbs . After getting through the intake problems and the blueprinting the head and gaskets. I managed to get both carb on . Almost!  I had to trim off the throttle shaft off one carb, after that , “I got her done”.
I’ll go back in and tighten the carbs to specs after I install the throttle linkage. Hopefully it won’t take another 8 hours.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #1846 on: Friday,February 17, 2023, 04:18:10 PM »
I assume you have your soft mounts and Thackery washers or cushions, right?

I don’t have any experience with that kind of linkage but I understand the one you have is very difficult to setup. My only data point is what Keith Franck of sidedraft central told me when in the course of a long discussion about some problem I was having, he suspected I had a linkage like yours. Rather than recreate what he said, I’ll just copy what he said:

From what I gather you have the exterior shaft linkage which uses spherical swivel joints? I keep telling my son just because you have an idea it might not be a good one and that linkage system is a prime example of that principle. I posted the other day about the used 151s having a hole out of round by about 0.5mm and they need to be repaired so the throttle shaft line up again to a gnat's ass tolerance. With that linkage the shaft which spans the carbs has to positioned to a gnat's ass too and that is not so easy. Plus the joints add play and make the movement between the carbs disjointed. This is not the KISS solution and if at all possible I would get rid of it and use the straight shot linkage between the carbs.

While the butterflies are near the progressive holes it is imperative that they move together in sync without any sloppiness. As the throttles are opened even more the manifold vacuum drops nearly to zero and then if the butterflies are out of sync it does not really matter all that much. These devices are precision instruments and need to kept in tip top shape.

If you end up looking for alternatives, rd enterprises has some options that Keith would approve of.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1847 on: Friday,February 17, 2023, 04:58:17 PM »
  Thanks BDA , and yes soft mounts with special washers. In picture.
     I purchased their single weber linkage and had no problems arise. By no means am I saying this will go the same way.Trust me , I will be reading that post over and over. I guess I should have asked more questions and glad RD has an alternate. It will be awhile before I run this motor.
  Fuel lines soon, and I know you know them… any advice?
 As you can see the front pulley isn’t connected to anything yet.😃. I also need to swap it to a side mount on the stand to turn motor and adjust valves and check the cam settings.  Then open carbs and see what the difference is in these China carbs.
  Another item is to block off the two water jacket holes under the alternator bracket. Apply sealant to water pump and other plates.  I have all the proper bolts and washers for them now since the originals were all corroded. This stuff takes time, good thing it’s a hobby.
Dakazman
« Last Edit: Friday,February 17, 2023, 05:00:02 PM by dakazman »

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #1848 on: Friday,February 17, 2023, 05:11:06 PM »
Am I seeing a step where your intakes join the head?
Appears the port may be smaller than the manifold?
Hopefully just my eyes deceiving me.

Offline BDA

« Reply #1849 on: Friday,February 17, 2023, 06:00:26 PM »
I made my own fuel lines but r.d. has a braided fuel loom that looks nice (you might check to see if there might be any issues with your application.

If you don’t have a synchronometer (https://www.ebay.com/itm/385299901597?epid=678723086&hash=item59b5a9ec9d:g:lbkAAOSw1VljnfiM&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4Mkm5LI52cg7bwh4KpDpbRzq5uBZXC8BGm1OAeVMEMSKbfcRT3OGUXMcFdck0Wk89msdhowwFQX8qkejbIaK%2BLus7KBEmbqaA6Hl9n1mwSf8jGvAMsQzw4JHo03HJieNGaE5XBytgQ8KbNkIJV6hfNeQkqEL8s5B2jcjbB5%2BeA5D9unimNmrENQh4k1U5M6gnwybgM7bHYCB7V60MTit%2FEjbeFWynaAWOuth%2Bdae9fEbJhot%2B9dX0DhPt52gPXpT%2BisABi8zfWP7f%2B%2F7I61g2j7rXHTFcNFUJfRPKBT64lQG%7Ctkp%3ABFBM5oeko8xh) you should get one.

I would also would advise you to join https://vintagetechnologygarage.groups.io/g/sidedraft/topics. It’s difficult to diagnose issues via email but there is a wealth of information and experience with Webers there.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1850 on: Friday,February 17, 2023, 06:12:49 PM »
Am I seeing a step where your intakes join the head?
Appears the port may be smaller than the manifold?
Hopefully just my eyes deceiving me.
  Yes Rich, there was a step, I tapered it out on all four ports. My machinist said not to polish but leave it semi rough. See pics finished ports
  BDA,
  I have an old sync tool , a floating ball type but I’ll check out your links. I have a bead lock crimp tool what do you think of that type s wedge on fuel lines?
Thanks 🙏

Dakazman
« Last Edit: Friday,February 17, 2023, 06:18:47 PM by dakazman »

Offline BDA

« Reply #1851 on: Friday,February 17, 2023, 06:51:50 PM »
I still have a uni-syn (floating ball type) and there is no comparison with the STE synchronometer. I’m not familiar with s wedge so I can’t comment. I’m partial to stainless steel braided hose with red & blue ends (I guess I’m just a traditionalist!).

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #1852 on: Friday,February 17, 2023, 07:08:39 PM »
Interesting. Seems there are many variations of these heads.
On mine the ports are a little larger than the intakes so I will be able to match the intake to the ports.
Luckily the step is at the top of the manifolds.
My new gaskets match the intakes so I will have to open them up a bit too.
Not sure if I will work on the rough spot myself or have the head shop do it, $$$ may be an issue.
Your step was on the bad side so glad you were able to remove it.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1853 on: Sunday,February 19, 2023, 02:17:58 PM »
  I do not like the anchor point of the redline linkage. I’m about to secure the main shaft to the center bosses as pictured. I can also invert the entire rod to the lower side of the carbs. pic 4 is where the main shaft would need to be drilled out and tapped. 
Any thoughts?
   The distributor seems to have been modified to centrifugal all ready, but it’s an assumption. No vacuum module on it
Day
« Last Edit: Sunday,February 19, 2023, 02:50:39 PM by dakazman »

Offline GavinT

« Reply #1854 on: Sunday,February 19, 2023, 08:43:32 PM »
Interesting. Seems there are many variations of these heads.

I've seen it said that the 843 engine had smaller ports from the factory. Presumably that's associated with the turbo which we didn't get in Oz.

I can't recall if D'man is using an 843 (?) but if that's the case, would be interested in a measurement of the port at the head face.
Gentlemen, start your die grinders . . .

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #1855 on: Sunday,February 19, 2023, 09:15:42 PM »
As emissions took hold, ports and valves got smaller, rods weaker, and compression lower.  That's even between early and late 807-13 engines.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1856 on: Monday,February 20, 2023, 06:02:56 AM »
  Gavin , yes it is an 843.
  I all ready trim them but I have extra gaskets that were a perfect fit to the head. I also have another head that I’m going to check.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1857 on: Wednesday,March 22, 2023, 05:11:13 PM »
  I’m back!  Working inside the Europa first time since late November.  I made a change to the placement of the temp controller so I pulled the dash out and and installed the ballast in the duct leading from the evaporator into cabin.
 Dash back in and full steam ahead connecting the db20 leads and the steering column. Hopefully my body will bend enough to finish up the wiring.
  Then adding the ac lines!
  Last of the fiberglass door repairs with this one the most extensive.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1858 on: Monday,April 24, 2023, 12:56:04 PM »
  I finally circled back to the Europa after finishing up several months of honey doos. Although they were somewhat related to cars but not the Europa. I also pulled my back slat muscles out so I didn’t put up a fight and glad not to get into the lotus position inside car.
  I did make a small miscalculation in wiring run on two leads , missed by two inches but was able to slide the leads inside the harness to where I needed them. However I did some of this lying on my back on the floor, without a seat . Getting out was another challenge one that I don’t want to explore again.
 All thought I did come up with an easy way to get around working under dash .  I found a broken mirror in the garage , that’s my story and I’m sticking to it, deciding not to breakup and throw out found it to be an easy working solution. Now I can reach and see everything from outside the car.
  I’m pretty used to working with mirrors so adapting was just a little learning curve.

Now for the steering column!

Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #1859 on: Monday,April 24, 2023, 01:39:33 PM »
Great use of a busted mirror, D'man! I hope your back gets better so you can continue your progress on your baby!