Author Topic: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly  (Read 154596 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly
« Reply #1020 on: Sunday,May 03, 2020, 06:21:29 PM »
  Bob, I would agree with you in that choice however I had a 1” next size 11/4. 😡.
Dakazman

Offline GavinT

« Reply #1021 on: Sunday,May 03, 2020, 09:51:58 PM »
. . anyway, from Front of seat How far is your front bolt, with seat all the way back?
Hi D'man,

I'm not clear what you're asking.
Here's a rough sketch of my cabin with the locations of the stock front and rear bolt holes (red) in the floor.

My seats aren't installed but they can be moved all the way back to the firewall.
I can't remember if the front of the seat track is visible with the seat in the fully rearward position, though.
That help?
« Last Edit: Sunday,May 03, 2020, 09:54:50 PM by GavinT »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1022 on: Monday,May 04, 2020, 02:59:48 AM »
Looking good, D'man.

It appears your side panels are going to be fitted flush with the fibreglass near the tunnel - is that right?
My intention is to do the same because it'll provide ~ 1/2 inch more cabin length for my 6' 2"  frame.

I was trying to answer this question, the front leg Bolt hole of the seat should be forward of the seat frame . I have approximately 3 1/2 “ from the front of seat tray to my forward hole. I don’t have the tracks on seat so I can’t tell if I gained any legroom.  I’ll check your dimensions and compare it to my seat track holes  , they should be similar.

Dakazman

Offline BobW

« Reply #1023 on: Monday,May 04, 2020, 10:54:52 AM »
Hi D'man,
I can't remember if the front of the seat track is visible with the seat in the fully rearward position, though.

The front of my (original) driver's seat cushion is almost right above the front bolt in the seat track with the seat fully rearwards. The seat back is just a couple of mm off the carpet on the firewall.

D'man my only crowsfoot set is metric. I don't remember what size fits.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1024 on: Tuesday,May 05, 2020, 02:33:58 PM »
Bob that definitely will give you the most legroom. You can’t bolt the seat down if racks were further back. With that said, yours and mine have been moved Back approximately 2 1/2 “ . I have no repairs to the seat track body area, hence my conclusion that I gained legroom.

The crowfoot doesn’t work better but with door off outer flange is easily tightened . Adding a washer between the two nuts inside door assures you are just tightening the jam nut.
I found my larger crow feet wrenches ...finally.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1025 on: Wednesday,May 06, 2020, 12:04:16 PM »
  Chevy motor in . Renault motor out . Now to split the bell housing and find out why I can’t turn engine with the gearbox/wheels.  The gearbox need to come out anyway due to the shaft seals leaking. Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1026 on: Wednesday,May 06, 2020, 02:59:13 PM »
   Split the engine/ bell housing. Nothing rubbing on housing. Engine turns freely with a screwdriver on flywheel. Tomorrow I’ll install starter again and spin engine with.
  I noticed I did not document the engine will not turn when in gear . Now I’m thinking it’s something to do with the primary shaft and it pulling as I reported way back.
  Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1027 on: Wednesday,May 13, 2020, 09:02:33 AM »
   I had some time to try to isolate the problem of the gearbox not turning. I pulled the engine and gearbox out. I then installed the flywheel and clutch assembly to my crossflow engine, just crank and pistons installed. Connected up the gearbox. Placed in gear, pinned one side of the differential and tried to turn the other side shaft. I still can not get any rotation.
  Am I going about it incorrectly or is it time to split the gearbox?

i just tried to turn the gearbox with the flywheel , while in gear, i turned the flywheel and the haft shafts don't rotate :help:

third modification<--- gearbox by itseft i turn the primary shaft and lock one side up and the other side works normally in all gears.  it may just have been that turning with the flywheel one tooth at a time is not enought to see any movement.

duh...i should just turn the crank :headbanger:

dakazman
« Last Edit: Wednesday,May 13, 2020, 10:40:01 AM by dakazman »

Offline GavinT

« Reply #1028 on: Wednesday,May 13, 2020, 10:43:31 AM »
G'day Dave,

Is the gearbox in neutral?

Disconnect the gearbox from the engine.

Attempt to turn the input shaft while it's in gear - what happens?
Attempt to turn an output shaft while it's in gear - what happens?

EDIT:
Great minds think alike.  :beerchug:
« Last Edit: Wednesday,May 13, 2020, 10:48:35 AM by GavinT »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1029 on: Wednesday,May 13, 2020, 11:26:47 AM »
  Gavin, let me just say this, i now know that the gearbox is indeed going into the gears.
 turning the crankshaft clockwise with one shaft pinned the other shaft turns just as if it were going down the road.

then i tried to turn the shaft to spin engine __locked.

Attempt to turn the input shaft while it's in gear - what happens?  answer -  shafts rotate ( With 1 side pinned)

Attempt to turn an output shaft while it's in gear - what happens? answer - input shaft turns  ( With 1 side pinned)

what got me to this point was pg54 of the engine section adjusting belts. it wasnt possible before because i didnt have all the wheels on.

dave
« Last Edit: Wednesday,May 13, 2020, 11:45:31 AM by dakazman »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1030 on: Saturday,May 16, 2020, 04:52:34 PM »
   While I gathered more information on the amount of torque needed to rotate engine from rear wheel it it quite considerable from two other S2 owners.
  Wife is busy sewing up door panels and seat panels. I try not to micromanage...but I worked with some of the worse Monday morning quarterbacks EVER!!! With that said I agreed with all her suggestions. Plus I like to eat 😂😂😂 :FUNNY:
   As fate would have it I found a complete Chemise for my spare 821-30, so that block went up on the stand so I can start cleaning all the threaded holes.
  At the same time I was working on the hemi head , ordering the last of the expendable parts. Cleaning all those threaded holes also. The one head bolt has enough threads in block but will need a longer stud of bolt.
  While engine and gearbox out I managed to install the e brake cable but when weather permits I’ll push it outside and connect up the cables at the brake assemblies. Then pull out the cooling tubes and install the aft grommets In frame.
  Corvette should be running tomorrow 🤪   I’ll try to upload a video to you tube.

Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #1031 on: Saturday,May 16, 2020, 04:56:13 PM »
It looks like you have a garage stuffed with projects, D'man!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1032 on: Saturday,May 16, 2020, 05:52:48 PM »
  All coming together at the same time. Did I mention the fridge that finally crashed, I found the Freon  leak Inside the fridge, another thing to fix. The repair man couldn’t even find the leak.😡🤬
   One day I’ll finish the Elcamino, it just needs an h system exhaust system and maybe a speedometer panel. Corvette another paint job😂😀
  That’s what retirement is for!
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1033 on: Monday,May 18, 2020, 04:58:30 PM »
   Some rainy day projects going on installed the rear w/w close out panels. Yes I know , this is where air enters. Not any more!
 Second project was headliner. I went old school and fabricated a series of brake lines that will hold up the fabric . It was an added bonus that my welding rods fit perfectly inside the tubing. After my wife pleats up a few curtain rod loops I will assemble the entire headliner inside vehicle without any glue. Using the Welding rods to Connect the tubing as I work it thru the fabric.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1034 on: Thursday,May 21, 2020, 03:52:05 PM »
    I have E brakes,  :pirate:  After walking away from some of the tunnel work I decided to finish it up today . Installed the new aft cable and while I was In there I pulled the cooling tubes and installed the grommets. Lessons learned.
  I hooked up the crossflow engine to the gearbox today for positioning. Mine still has the extended crankshaft for pulley out the front.

I really want to keep that pulley for the A/C . So I’ll mock it up and see where the geometry of the shifter tubes takes me. 
The problem with the 843 is that the (sealed) timing cover covers the crankshaft but by with the retainer bolt for the timing gear.

So work continues with fitting the wheel well close out panels. Done , except to buy correct 8-32 screws.

Headliner rods coming along . No glue works very long in this heat so I will hang it . Making the template for my wife to sew is next.
Dakazman