Author Topic: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly  (Read 154446 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly
« Reply #870 on: Friday,February 07, 2020, 05:27:56 PM »
 Thanks BobW for taking the time to inspect that seal. :trophy:  I will certainly follow it.

My tail lights are tested , installed and off my desk. What fun I is to hold the assembly, with a new seal  and guide the wires into two separate holes. I’m glad the body is still on the work platform and I wasn’t laying on the ground or on my knees. 😥 .
  I got a little side tracked after seeing the engine compartment catch rusting a bit after I plated it.
So I found a old nickel plated door kick plate. It was bronze inside and I didn’t think I could bend it without cracking it. It bent nicely with a tight 1/8 radius. Then I formed the shape drilled the holes and polished it up. It looks like the brass fittings that were on my sailboat. Looks like gold!
  While on a roll I decided to copy JBs dissecting the water pump by pressing out the impeller shaft. I had the shaft soaking in wd40 and some other rust penetrant for a few days. It is only a old pump and badly corroded. Oh well ,after carefully setting it up level I successfully removed the shaft , impeller rusty spring and a 2 piece seal. Thanks JB for all your guidance but I still would like the vendors / parts you used in your A/C mod.
  Another quick question is what glue are we using to install the foam padding on frame ? Contact cement? Silicone?
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #871 on: Saturday,February 08, 2020, 06:48:37 PM »
  Wiper assembly installed, nothing is easy , a little bit of primer and paint on the right side wheelhouse and it would not sit correctly. I added a gasket to the base of both wiper bezels mainly to keep water out.
   Ran across another minor item I need to repair, two missing outboard dash mount inserts. Installed the original dash to mark where I need to add the anchors. I’m still sealing the dash without a radio that will be installed instead of this one. I will add this one to my desktop with a lamp coming out of it.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #872 on: Saturday,February 08, 2020, 07:39:07 PM »
Looking good, D'man! Good that you put a gasket under wiper bezel. One belongs there. I couldn't tell from the pictures but there should be a tube that runs from each wheel box and from the near wheel box to the motor. The flexible rack runs through the tubes.

Keep it up!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #873 on: Sunday,February 09, 2020, 05:11:09 AM »
Looking good, D'man! Good that you put a gasket under wiper bezel. One belongs there. I couldn't tell from the pictures but there should be a tube that runs from each wheel box and from the near wheel box to the motor. The flexible rack runs through the tubes.

BDA, the second and third picture show the gearing run shaft and tubes and orientation of the wheel box on shaft. I found  it easier to install the wheel box and tighten assembly on the body then feed the shaft thru and then place the motor assembly into holder. Afterward feed the ,center, second tube onto shaft, wheel box and end tube and tighten in place. I tested in place and then tightened all the tubes so that the run wouldn’t be strained. The grease helps a lot also.
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #874 on: Sunday,February 09, 2020, 06:35:43 AM »
Exciting Dave. Your making real progress.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #875 on: Sunday,February 09, 2020, 07:31:52 AM »
Water pump parts supplier

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-5qgswm4/A

They have the bearing assemblies as well.  Measure to match.  When reassembling always be very careful that no assembly load is through a the bearing!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #876 on: Sunday,February 09, 2020, 12:35:09 PM »
  Thanks JB , I downloaded their PDF Files and will research later. It’s funny how others are asking about your mod to the pulley system at the same time . Now I have another project for my machinist . Adding  the bearing to carry the larger pulley. Having a hard time finding it on the site.
   Thanks Certified and BDA . I need all the support I can get. I did just get in the rear window by myself. Yes I cheated and stood in the bare engine compartment with the cover removed. I don’t have the firewall panels in so that’s why it made it so easy. It took less than an hour but I forgot to buy the locking strip so I’m not done yet. 😀 I only posted a picture of this site on Instagram, hopefully it will add a few members.
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #877 on: Sunday,February 09, 2020, 12:45:18 PM »
You installed the rear window by yourself in less than a hour? No way...... It took 5 grown men almost 3 hours to install mine. And that was after I tried for hours to do it on my own.

I’m impressed Dave. Keep up the great work  :beerchug:

Offline dakazman

« Reply #878 on: Sunday,February 09, 2020, 01:25:15 PM »
  I can’t imagine doing it alone with a firewall and a engine in place.

Certified what did you use to glue your foam onto the frame?
Thanks in advance .
Dakazman

Ps I found replacement sockets for the tail light assembly . You cut the old one out and install a billet aluminum socket for $26.00 at Ron Francis. Com

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #879 on: Sunday,February 09, 2020, 01:37:04 PM »
I used 3M spray adhesive. Dry mount. Spray both sides, let dry to tack and then fit.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #880 on: Sunday,February 09, 2020, 04:06:55 PM »
Thanks Certified, I do have that stuff, I’ve used it on fabrics... who knew.
 Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #881 on: Wednesday,February 12, 2020, 04:38:29 PM »
  Do any of those have a dual belt system coming off the cam ? That would make it easier to add a a\c compressor. I would add an idler to that some of the load away from that bearing and the index pins.
Thoughts?
Dakazman

I need to start the assembling of the doors to keep the flow going. Completed the final coat of clear on dash and a helmet. They are shiny.😎
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #882 on: Wednesday,February 12, 2020, 05:02:25 PM »
Things are moving along, D'man!

Where are you with your motor? I'm anxious for the big day when the frame is reacquainted with the body!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #883 on: Wednesday,February 12, 2020, 07:13:45 PM »
Thanks BDA,
 I’m making a list in parts needed. Basically Starter, fuel lines, valve timing, misc carb choke plate screws, mine were stripped. Getting rid of the hideous heater lines and plumbing from a hardware
store that I had saved. Exhaust system I will mock up with 1 1/4 plastic pipe and h ad on down to a local Midas muffler shop. I was there a few weeks ago and they said they can bend it up in stainless with a muffler and tailpipe to match. So it’s a small job but the back screen needs to be put in place.
Fabricated a aluminum water tank but need to weld the tube connectors and cap in.

-Rear axle bearings, getting an opinion from the machinist, so that is a little trip.
 -after I get the axle in then I’ll pressurize the brakes.

Then I’ll be ready to put the body on. Doors ?

I also decided I’ll just finish the shroud I was making for the tach/speedometer instead of making copies. Also making a list of original wires and connectors I need , it’s only been a years since I placed it on my board.
 Carpet and seats
 Front window
 Done!
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #884 on: Wednesday,February 12, 2020, 07:29:42 PM »
Now that you put it that way, you should be driving your car in a couple of weeks!  :)

Good luck and continue your updates!