Author Topic: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly  (Read 154521 times)

Offline jbcollier

Re: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly
« Reply #840 on: Thursday,January 30, 2020, 08:41:03 PM »
Yes, cool air flows in through the front of the rear wheel wells. Hot air exits out through the cover vents.  The air then flows back and some (quite a bit) reenters through the open section in the back of S1/2 Europas.  Hot air recirculation is a significant problem.  Though the open section looks cool, it's a good idea to close it off as they did for the TC/S.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #841 on: Friday,January 31, 2020, 04:35:35 AM »
The original write ups by Peter and then Preen is what got me to modify my air intake for my Weber engine. I used a Weber AIRBOX I had left over from an Elan project and reversed the cover so I could install the air hose coming from the well area in front of the fuel tank. Worked perfectly and after 2000 miles of all kinds of driving the air filter still looks new.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #842 on: Friday,January 31, 2020, 06:23:56 AM »
That's excellent.  I have my Dells hooked up to a standard TC/S set up and the filter gets dirty quickly and gets changed every 2K klicks or so.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #843 on: Friday,January 31, 2020, 06:41:15 AM »
   JB thanks for that link, I spent at least an hour reading most of Dave’s other mods. 👍👍
I’ll see if my oil cooler will fit in that location. Blocking the aft screen is in my list also because my firewall will be in 5 removable panels, with seals to keep the exhaust gases out. Still another cover for looks and sound. (Carpeting)
 Certified , I did see and read about the air box but failed to realize where you got the air from , thinking just the engine cover hole . All in time for now, my single Weber isn’t exactly race quality.
Dakazman

Offline BobW

« Reply #844 on: Friday,January 31, 2020, 03:57:34 PM »
  I’m also thinking about the best way to run the fuel line from the mechanical pump to the carb. I have seen directly over the distributor cap :blowup: and all the way around the front of engine. Any best practices are welcomed?

JB, snake screen...LOL  I hate snakes and spiders.
Dakazman
The original arrangement is over the forward top of the valve cover, where there's a clip under the valve cover nut to hold it, and past the right side of the distributor. One of the few upgrades I've made to my car is braided steel fuel line but I'd still be nervous with it going over top of the distributor. On a crossflow, do the carbs go above the distributor instead of above the exhaust manifold? 

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #845 on: Friday,January 31, 2020, 03:59:32 PM »
I would do everything possible not to have a fuel line located over the distributor or anywhere near the exhaust. SS braided or not.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #846 on: Friday,January 31, 2020, 04:14:26 PM »
The distributor on a crossflow sits on top of the head well clear of the carbs.

When navigating from one part of the engine to another, I prefer to use solid lines with flexible sections for the connections.  Much easier to control position and eliminate any rubbing.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #847 on: Friday,January 31, 2020, 04:42:18 PM »
That’s exactly what I’m concerned about. To further complicate the matter the fuel pump has a 1/4 “ outlet and the carb inlet looks to be 3/8” there is a filter also to fit. What I’m thinking about it a steel fuel line below distributor around the front of engine to carb inlet . I will have to go through the Pegasus catalogue about the SS lines.

Bob, now I understand why people install electric fuel pumps. They can be installed in a better location than stock one size fits all. The hemi the carbs and mechanical fuel pump are on the same side.

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #848 on: Friday,January 31, 2020, 06:51:24 PM »
When I was about 16, I did a tuneup on my sister’s Renault 16.  I changed the fuel filter.  Of course, every good mechanic checks to see if it leaks by starting her up.  The fuel filter was way down low.  So, the car is idling.  I get a flashlight, shine it on the filter and stick my head way down there.  Yup, it’s leaking.  And woomf!  Smoking eyebrows and my sister’s car is running and on fire.

Luckily, I shut it off and put the fire out before too much damage occurs.  Just some melted wires.  However, I learned that a distributor is a good ignition source, and not just in the cylinder.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #849 on: Friday,January 31, 2020, 07:05:37 PM »
When I was in high school there was a auto junk yard 20 minutes from my house. It was filled with sports cars that had caught on fire and totaled. A buddy of mine and I would go there on a regular basis and buy British sports cars that only had engine bay damage and repair them.  I learned early on that worn rubber fuel lines, plastic connectors and loose hose clamps cause a lot of damage. Ever since then I only use SS braided fuel lines and threaded connectors. AND I’m careful of any rub points from vibration.

I’ve been restoring sports cars for a long time. None have ever caught on fire.
« Last Edit: Saturday,February 01, 2020, 03:22:56 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #850 on: Friday,January 31, 2020, 07:24:51 PM »
That’s exactly what I’m concerned about. To further complicate the matter the fuel pump has a 1/4 “ outlet and the carb inlet looks to be 3/8” there is a filter also to fit. What I’m thinking about it a steel fuel line below distributor around the front of engine to carb inlet . I will have to go through the Pegasus catalogue about the SS lines.

Bob, now I understand why people install electric fuel pumps. They can be installed in a better location than stock one size fits all. The hemi the carbs and mechanical fuel pump are on the same side.
If I were still selling Earl's Supply I would love to set you up with the right stuff at a good price, but since I don't have any of that stuff anymore, along with Pegasus, you might want to look at http://performanceplumbing.com, https://pitstopusa.com/, https://www.summitracing.com/, and http://www.bakerprecision.com/. You might be able to save some money.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #851 on: Saturday,February 01, 2020, 08:54:01 AM »
Thanks BDA,
  Right now I’m having the time of my life on what I thought was a simple job... putting on fan belts.
So, at first glance I thought I had the wrong pulley for the water pump, then I thought I had the pullies on wrong, then I read the book, shims???  Aughh, so easy . Now I just have to jack it and adjust . I started out placing all the shins save 1 , the base for the outside, I’ll be adjusting for a bit longer. Nothing like a little 3rd pulley. But now I see adding lightness.
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #852 on: Sunday,February 02, 2020, 07:49:35 AM »
Unbolt the pulley. Put the fan belt on. Rebolt the pulley with the belt in place. That’s what I did on my car.

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #853 on: Sunday,February 02, 2020, 08:26:31 AM »
Renault R15, R16 and R17’s tension the belts with what I would describe as a variable pitch pulley.  Thus the shims.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #854 on: Sunday,February 02, 2020, 01:56:21 PM »
R16s have thew adjustable pulley.  At least later R17s have an idler pulley.