Author Topic: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly  (Read 154807 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly
« Reply #540 on: Monday,July 08, 2019, 04:55:37 PM »
Slowly progressing on my heads. This original head framed garbage by the machinist now may have some life left in it. I plugged the two stud holes with bolts torqued with some hi temp locktite. Then today I mounted the manifold and centered where to drill the new stud holes.
  For the wedge experts out there is why aren’t the top two center manifold not drilled out to mount to the two top enter head-stud holes?
 I got around to call Dave Bean , however their still on a long Independence Day vacation, to order some exhaust valves and keepers.
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #541 on: Monday,July 08, 2019, 06:47:19 PM »
Progress Dave, progress.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #542 on: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 12:42:03 PM »
A little more progress today between cutting lawns for my daughters.

Finished upon two rocker arm assemblies. All parts freely move but will go back in a stowage bag until I work out the heads and engine. The only question I have is about an actual tool for holding the pushrod adjustment screw?
  The gasket set and old intake provided me the answer about drilling out thru the manifold that I picked up recently, that has no holes.
   All valves in by I missed one stud hole repair. Now to polish!!!
 You can see I’m dragging my feet a little about extracting the piston pins out of the pistons for there balancing. After examining the two other donor pistons That have the rods still on them have cracks in the skirt. So I only have 4 good pistons and I have them soaking in wd40 and whatever other penetrant I have. I see Dave Bean does have a complete set of p&L and waiting for them to get back from lunch for a price check. I also have to he name of the shop in France and there site is now easily read in English .
Another find was two different timing chain covers.
Dakazman
« Last Edit: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 12:55:05 PM by dakazman »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #543 on: Thursday,July 11, 2019, 07:02:41 PM »
While I’m waiting for my flingers to get shipped from the uk to Dave Bean and a pair of new locking tabs, I thought about the one thing a day to do. I grabbed the speedo cable for some reason. Maybe to finish up the tunnel items. Then some engine parts.
 While on the phone I found out D/B does not have any liners available.😮. Just 1mm oversized with pins and rods , to be installed in your liners all for $890.00. So on my set of pistons on the rods I will take a step back and decided to order a kitchen scale. Once I see the weight difference I will make another decision.
   The 843 block is assembled with a good set of pistons and liners. After talking with Steve Veritas it ay be the route I go. It is also a great candidate for a forward pulley a/c compressor.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #544 on: Thursday,July 11, 2019, 07:13:58 PM »
Pretty polished pieces, D'man!

Good luck with your motor rebuild!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #545 on: Friday,July 12, 2019, 02:25:34 PM »
While cleaning up the valve train I noticed we can make a nice tool for adjustments to to lifter clearance. Get a 1/4 Rod, cut a 5/32 slot in it and cover it with a 5/16 tube. Put a ‘t’ handle on it and your good to go. See pic 1-3.
  I dug out the distributor today and things were moving on beautifully then 1c-clip broke. I continued the reassembly and launched two other c-clips . There must be an easier way to remove the center shaft completely to assemble the vacuum advance counterbalance clips. I probably won’t use this distributor anyway but I still want to rebuild it.  Any help would be appreciated.
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #546 on: Friday,July 12, 2019, 07:08:33 PM »
I have more C clips floating around my garage than I care to admit. My solution.....I bought a box of different sizes just in case. And guess what, I rarely loose one any more. Go figure.....

Nice work as always Dave! 

Offline dakazman

« Reply #547 on: Saturday,July 13, 2019, 09:55:55 AM »
I decided to go with the cross flow engine. The bottom end held water and Has no major concerns other than 2 cylinder head bolt were stripped out in the block. A measurement showed me there was 1” of threads still in the hole so they will get studs instead. I removed the cam and placed a 821 cam in. , the valves look great and measure 39 and 35. I have an intake that will get it up and running with little expense. A set a headers and checking to see if it fits in the frame with a triple pulley balancer.
 Any other help would be appreciated.  Thanks goes out to JB, Galvin and runningwild and
Califkid66.
Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #548 on: Saturday,July 13, 2019, 04:33:29 PM »
It reads as though you are going to use an 821 cam with a crossflow head.  If that's so, it won't work.  The crossflows have a different valve order than the wedge engines.

Those are not high compression pistons, FYI.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #549 on: Saturday,July 13, 2019, 05:59:39 PM »
G’day D’man,

A few observations:

Replacing head bolts with studs will make it difficult to install (and remove) the head.
I’d suggest looking to longer bolts or a thread repair solution.
If going with longer bolts, be sure there’s some extra room at the bottom of the hole. You don’t want the bolt to bottom out in the hole while you’re torquing it down.

Also, there appears to be a hollow locating dowel near the water pump end but none on the middle bolt hole as is usual.
Measure the head thickness to be sure if it’s serviceable, but it looks OK.

As JB points out, the 821 cam (or any wedge head based cam) won’t work in a cross-flow.

Here in Oz, we got the same version of the R17TS as they did in Europe rated variously at 120 or 125HP - brochure HP. This was the 844 engine of 1605cc & 10.25 compression using EFI.
Valve sizes in those are 42.1 inlet and 35.35 exhaust using different valve springs, con-rods etc.
Cam timing was 40/72/72/40.
I only mention this because it’s a tried and true base configuration for reasonable power without worrying about exotic fuels etc.

I can’t see the piston crowns properly, but do they have a slight dome?
What is the bore diameter?
What car did this engine come from originally?

There’s obviously some coolant circulation differences.
I don’t know for sure but cross-flow heads using a water pump located at the timing chain end also have some slightly different coolant passages as well. It’s possible the intended coolant flow is reversed . . or perhaps straight through from one end of the head to the other? . . dunno.

It’s not insurmountable, but that needs to be figured out.
Probably an electric water pump could sort it.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #550 on: Saturday,July 13, 2019, 06:39:58 PM »
Thanks so much guys,
 Dang it, on the cam ! I guess I’ll call Alpine, runningwild said he brought back two blanks . I thought I could use the cam and have it recut. Guess not now.
 I am certainly learning a lot . Galvin gave me and califkid homework Lol. I also will read both of your post again several times . The cleaned the engine today a will pull off some caps and check the bearings . Are the tappets two pieces like the twin cams? If so how do the shims come off?
  Galvin, Pegasus racing has the studs I was talking about and are made to be taken out , and they or just 1, I will check the stats again on a insert and the depth.

Sorry for jumping around. I’ll keep everyone posted.

On the wedge, I got a kitchen scale today and weighed the total piston-connecting rods . I know it’s not the right way but just curious. They weighed in  141/151/150/138 grams . So they will need to be taken apart.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #551 on: Saturday,July 13, 2019, 08:16:21 PM »
The tappets are the same one piece items as in the wedge head - perhaps exactly the same?
Do you have the original tappets from the cross-flow?

It’s best practice to have tappets go back into their original places.
Tappets don’t seem to suffer much wear but if swapping tappets in from a foreigner, be sure to check dimensions - it’s a mandatory precaution. Note there were also oversize tappets available.
The tappets will need to be refaced to go with the new cam as a matter of course.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #552 on: Saturday,July 13, 2019, 10:23:13 PM »
Yes, same (one piece)  tappets for the wedge and crossflow.  Please have them reground properly.  They are slightly dished.  It matches the slight taper ground into the cam and is there to rotate the tappet for long life.

Thread repair inserts work very well on an alloy block, highly recommended over fitting studs.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #553 on: Sunday,July 14, 2019, 04:50:14 AM »
Galvin,
 Yes I do and  I have them all in order as well as all the head bolts in order. The Engine came from California guy. I will take better pics of it’s unidentifiable markings. The piston size is 79mm.
JB and Galvin,
 I did notice the dish on the tappets on the wedge engines. I will unpack them today.

One last question and my thoughts were to put the wedge head on with the 821 cam. Would hat work?
Dakazman

Offline GavinT

« Reply #554 on: Sunday,July 14, 2019, 07:25:03 AM »
One last question and my thoughts were to put the wedge head on with the 821 cam. Would hat work?

Doubtful.
The pistons shown in your pics are for a cross-flow engine, hence the valve reliefs on both sides.

The wedge head has different valve angles & combustion chamber shape. I'd expect the pistons would make contact with the wedge head itself and probably the valves as well.

Cheers,
Gavin