Author Topic: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly  (Read 154432 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly
« Reply #495 on: Tuesday,May 14, 2019, 06:20:10 PM »
Made a trip to the machinist today with a bunch of parts, immediately two of three cams were deemed junk pitted lobes and the other forward section near dowel pin rounded an dowel missing. one of two heads,  junk. PO drill d out the stud hold the manifold on and missed center and angled so bad can not get centered again, not to mention a few broken drill bits lodged inside.
   So one head and one cam ...one engine. Head being milled and some helicoils going in, and a tube extracted. Also my Chevy head going in for a valve seat and valve that was damaged when the pushrod bent after the rocker arm stud backed out.
  I love my press . It’s surpassing all expectations. Certified, a stockpile of metal helps.
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #496 on: Wednesday,May 15, 2019, 02:27:42 AM »
I’m feeling for you Dave after that trip to the machinist. It’s never the news your looking for. The bright side is you do have some salvageable parts!

Yes on the metal bits to use with your press. Go to a metal fabrication shop and ask them for scraps. They will have everything you could want.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #497 on: Wednesday,May 15, 2019, 04:51:16 AM »
Funny but about a three years ago I cleaned out tons of steel copper and aluminum. I still have my shed partially stocked up.
   Since the machinist will not build up a motor, I will need to start buying the assembly tools and compounds. It will be a first for me, usually I do a short block and take it from there on American cars. The initial cleaning was done now is all the final inspections, fine tuning, tap and die sets out cleaning out my garage threads. Mounted the block from the rear on the rear on the engine stand.😀
   A lot of studying to do reading the manual. So expect more questions.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #498 on: Wednesday,May 15, 2019, 05:01:07 PM »
I been reading the manual and cannot find the resurfacing dimension minimum on the flywheel.

Another problem I noticed is that one block I have needs to be milled on the mating surface to the head. Maybe 1-2 thousands inch. To clean up the corrosion. Is this permissible?
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #499 on: Thursday,May 16, 2019, 04:55:45 PM »
Cleaned up another block by soda blasting. Taped up journals on crank and blasted. Took the measurements of the mains and rods. Is the next step bolt all the mains and rods together and determine the correct bearings dimensions ?
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #500 on: Thursday,May 16, 2019, 05:23:35 PM »
Another problem I noticed is that one block I have needs to be milled on the mating surface to the head. Maybe 1-2 thousands inch. To clean up the corrosion. Is this permissible?
Dakazman

I would think milling the block a couple of thousandths would not be a problem as long as everything else is generally in spec.

Cleaned up another block by soda blasting. Taped up journals on crank and blasted. Took the measurements of the mains and rods. Is the next step bolt all the mains and rods together and determine the correct bearings dimensions ?
Dakazman

I think all you need to do is take the crank, rods, and block to your machine shop and let them order the proper bearings for you based on the dimensions of your crank and main journals. They should do any machining on all that that's necessary. It's unlikely that they'll need to monkey with the rod's big ends or main bores. They should tell you what size bearings you'll need. They may have to work on your piston bores, or crank journals.

Are you going to build the motor or have the machine shop do it?

Offline dakazman

« Reply #501 on: Thursday,May 16, 2019, 06:28:24 PM »
I will build it the machinist will not. He basically just handed it back to me when I brought it down to his shop. Very strange, but was more re than happy to work on my Chevy head.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #502 on: Thursday,May 16, 2019, 07:05:41 PM »
Some machinists are more comfortable working on American iron than foreign motors. Look around for a machinist who is comfortable working on something different.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #503 on: Friday,May 17, 2019, 02:59:13 AM »
I echo what BDA said. Some guys just don’t want to look up the specs on engines they don’t know. Plus there is the fact that replacement parts are tough to find if something goes wrong.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #504 on: Friday,May 17, 2019, 05:18:38 PM »
This guy has a great reputation and easy to talk to . It’s sort of a two way street, and I can understand his reluctance to work on the lotus engine.? I’m doing some basics and getting my tooling and sealants ready to order .
Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #505 on: Friday,May 17, 2019, 08:08:59 PM »
Bucket-shim overhead cam engines require precise care when overhauling.   Shims are readily available in a certain range.  You need to machine the seats and valves to suit.  It is also very common to deck the head automatically.  Not good.  Only when needed otherwise the head gets under-sized in a hurry.  If you only did push-rod engines, all this was quite a surprise.  Nowadays, much less so.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #506 on: Saturday,May 18, 2019, 04:53:11 PM »
I see what you mean. My spare donor engine had three cracked pistons and indents of the valves on the hi compression pistons. The main bearings were scored deeply but the rod bearings were all brand new. The valves and guides are perfect. That is the head that’s going on , when i get to that point.

If all else fails the hemi engine will come up your way to alpine. It to has its problem with one of the head bolt threads pulled out.  I keep thinking to use one of the 821-30  blocks for the 843.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #507 on: Friday,May 24, 2019, 06:09:25 AM »
   My bolt collection takes up room and sometimes it’s hard to find that perfect replacement. I worked  home construction and excavation, mainly backhoes and the trailers. I also inherited a lot of items from my grandfathers and father that also were in the trades. 
 So addiction to new hardware is hereditary ,lol. Which pours over to collecting other items. No not pathways in your house either. If I watch that hoarders movie I throw away things the next day. Don’t get me started on computers and maintaining and upgrading them.
So here is my hoard.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #508 on: Tuesday,May 28, 2019, 06:07:26 PM »
Having to work slowly due to a pulled back muscle I decided to work on the head the machinist said was garbage. The studs were broken off and drill bit and extraction bits broken off and jammed. They were now off center. So I went to work and extracted the broken items . Next was to round off the hole so I could thread it, Place a bolt in it, cut them off and then redrill a new stud hole.
 I’m up to installing bolt but couldn’t find two 7/16. 20 1” bolts.
 If all goes well I will have a my original back.

Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #509 on: Tuesday,May 28, 2019, 06:59:13 PM »
Drilling out broken studs. My least favorite job. And don't ask me how many times I have broken the drill bit inside of the broken stud :deadhorse: