Author Topic: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly  (Read 159050 times)

Offline Nockenwelle

Re: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly
« Reply #300 on: Saturday,August 04, 2018, 07:11:58 AM »
Finding faults that have been introduced by attempts of one of the previous owners to 'repair' a thing are often the most difficult to find.
From time to time I'm working on mechanical pinball machines which are filled up with tons of relays and colour coded wiring. 

My most difficult to trace down electronic mystery was a non working relay in a Bally Gator of the sixties.
It took quite some time to find out that someone has replaced the hinged part of the relay with a new one made of stainless steel.
Unfortunately stainless steel is no ferro magnetic material so the new part was quite unimpressed by the magnetic field created by the coil.
I have no idea why the part had been replaced and the new part looked nicely made.

Klaus

Offline dakazman

« Reply #301 on: Saturday,August 04, 2018, 01:14:32 PM »
 Lol , Yes non magnetic. 

My wife, fond of her magnetic note holders was sorry when she purchased a new stainless steel refrigerator and went to place them on it only to end up on the floor. Now it’s tape everywhere...
In your case it probably stood out when it was the only non rusted part in the machine.

Surf, the harness is basically one long strand so the length of a wire is from/to following the harness layout routes and noted on the colored schematic , front bulkhead,rear bulkhead.
Aircraft wiring has an individual wire part number on every wire. With that said,when ordering the wire
You must state the each.ea., means feet. So if you say 1 ea. You’ll get one foot. Not so good if the plane is full of passengers that are waiting to leave on time.

Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #302 on: Sunday,August 05, 2018, 09:29:19 AM »
Found an extra heater on eBay I couldn’t pass up. Cleaned up nicely in my spare time. Lol.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #303 on: Sunday,August 05, 2018, 05:24:05 PM »
    I started on the dash and mock-up. The original dash has a salvageable core . Reglueing inlay in sections. On the original  I striped it down and removed veneer and will be looking for the stock veneer . I’ll go back and read some of the recent post on the original stock type and stain.

Laid out the harness board a little different showing front center and rear sections.

The mock up is to update interior switching, gauges but keep layout.

Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #304 on: Sunday,August 05, 2018, 08:01:29 PM »
Keep the progress going Dakazman! You keeping many of us motivated! (I was working on my Elan today getting ready for the road trip to LOG38).

Offline dakazman

« Reply #305 on: Monday,August 06, 2018, 04:07:23 PM »
Certified ,good luck at log38. Maybe we will both be at 39 with our europa’s.

I was looking into this concours judging. This paragraph jumped out at me and I laughed.(belt high).
So I guess my build would be a low score 100 point car . Originally sand color , now black. I still need to read more about these rule system .
      “.Heimrath kneels down and feels the lower half of the car with his fingers—it’s too smooth, too. “In the assembly plant, they would buff only what you could see—basically above the beltline and the body,” he continues.
“Nobody at the plant cared about the bottom. If you look at an original car, there’s no paint under here”—Heimrath gestures at the rocker panels—“they’re basically just raw Heimrath kneels down and feels the lower half of the car with his fingers—it’s too smooth, too. “In the assembly plant, they would buff only what you could see—basically above the beltline and the body,” he continues.

“Nobody at the plant cared about the bottom. If you look at an original car, there’s no paint under here”—Heimrath gestures at the rocker panels—“they’re basically just raw fibreglass.”
Dakazman

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #306 on: Monday,August 06, 2018, 05:05:41 PM »
So you need crappy paint to win a concours? Sorry D-man, you’re screwed!  :FUNNY:
t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline dakazman

« Reply #307 on: Monday,August 06, 2018, 06:09:49 PM »
Lol Surf,
Well then the fender flares would also be a point reduction? I wanted a Scca battery kill switch , also a reduction, dash another deduction? Now I know why I stay away from contests. Ordered a European walnut veneer today and excited for it to come in .

Also while going thru the original service manual found some old receipts from original owner that was from the Massachusetts area , from a place called tingles.ouch what a bill that was... Then the car moved to South Carolina, then Georgia and finally to me in Florida.

Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #308 on: Monday,August 06, 2018, 06:42:23 PM »
Tingles used to be one of the "Usual Suspects" of suppliers. He retired a while ago and he is really a good guy.

I know that generally an "original" car does better at sale time than a modified car. Relating that fact to the recently revealed Bullitt Mustang. Should it be restored? To what level? The way it looked in the movie? A pristine example? Just freshened and repainted?

So, should a real concours Europa have the crappy fit and finish that they were delivered with?

Surf is right, you'd probably loose points on your paint job! But be aware that at all LOGs have a "People's Choice Concours" where people vote their preference and that's where you'd get your just desserts!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #309 on: Monday,August 06, 2018, 07:30:20 PM »
Thanks BDA,
  Oh , I remember the crappy finishing of 70s on cars other than a Lotus. They were bad..,
I just need to read more about this new to me , judging . I read that if you take a class of judging you receive points..., and lose points for newly chromed items... I’m glad there is a People’s Choice . Whew ,
I can’t wait to see some pictures from log38. I think some will be on Instagram link and maybe even Facebook.
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #310 on: Tuesday,August 07, 2018, 02:11:00 AM »
A good friend of mine does high end restoration of very expensive sports cars. He just finished a 100 point car. The level of detail and knowledge needed is simply amazing to do a proper restoration.

I’m not interested in a concourse quality show car. I want to drive mine. By the way, I still win plenty of awards at car shows with my Elan S1. I’m hoping same when I finish my Europa.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #311 on: Tuesday,August 07, 2018, 05:13:19 AM »
Tingles Lotus Center in Tewksbury MA was relatively close to where I live. Unfortunately they are no more. Aged out, I guess. There is another place near me called Burnett's Garage that specializes in MGs and Triumphs. Great, I said, gotta get to know these guys. They took one look at the Europa and shook their heads. "That's way too exotic for us" the old guy said. "It shares half its parts with a Triumph!" I said. "Sorry, but we just can't work on that." he said. Sheesh!  :headbanger:
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BDA

« Reply #312 on: Tuesday,August 07, 2018, 05:35:12 AM »
Yes, Don Tingle retired a few years back.

If they are afraid to work out a Europa, I wouldn't take my Triumph or MG there! But speaking of people being afraid to work on a Europa, I've been trying for months to find someone to replace my windshield and almost nobody wants to touch it even though I told them I already had the new windshield!

Offline gideon

« Reply #313 on: Tuesday,August 07, 2018, 08:35:42 AM »
BDA - is the new windshield identical in construction and thickness to the old one, or has it been updated?  Is the old one damaged?

Offline BDA

« Reply #314 on: Tuesday,August 07, 2018, 09:34:26 AM »
My current windshield is the original windshield. It still has the paper sticker in the upper left hand corner from new. Unfortunately, it attracted a stone on the highway and so developed a star in the upper right hand corner. I normally wouldn't worry about it (at least till it grew) but I'm planning on having a tint put on the top since I don't have visors in my car. The heat gun they use in applying the tine would likely cause the crack in the star to grow. The star is too close to the edge for the star repair tool to be used so it's really not reparable - at least while it's on the car.

My replacement windshield is a Plinkington so it should be an exact replacement (We'll see on Thursday when the guy I finally found will be replacing it but I'm not worried. Plinkington windshields are correct by all accounts and they were the OE supplier back in the day).

The odd thing is that when I was building the car back in 1998, I called a windshield guy to install my windshield. He said he could do it but wouldn't guarantee that it wouldn't leak. I thanked him and then called another guy. He said he could do it so I made the appointment. When he was about half done, I told him about the first guy and he said that he wouldn't guarantee it wouldn't leak either! Well, he was half done so I wasn't going to tell him to pack up and leave. It turned out that I've never had a problem with leaks. This time, I've probably called two dozen places before I found one who would do it.