Author Topic: Lotus F1 "The tobacco years" type 72  (Read 44975 times)

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
Re: Lotus F1 "The tobacco years" type 72
« Reply #165 on: Tuesday,January 08, 2019, 12:57:26 PM »
All the tools you really need when working on a Lotus...

Hammer...check, Vice grips...check, Tape measure...check....oh, and plenty of oil to be sure!

Rindt gets his lid strapped on as he prepares to be belted in...

Notice those large metal thingys leaning up against the pit box wall ?...I'll give you one guess only!

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #166 on: Tuesday,January 08, 2019, 01:26:00 PM »
The round things with the 4 holes and a handle?  I'm guessing a tool for setting up the torsion bars.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #167 on: Tuesday,January 08, 2019, 01:34:12 PM »
My guess is some sort of attachment to the wheels front and rear to measure tracking.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #168 on: Tuesday,January 08, 2019, 02:24:50 PM »
Here is another one.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #169 on: Tuesday,January 08, 2019, 02:31:15 PM »
Here is another one.

You get extra credit for the picture...but alas, this tool has been around for some time...
Think of Archimedes principle...

Offline 4129R

« Reply #170 on: Tuesday,January 08, 2019, 02:43:37 PM »
Here is another one.

You get extra credit for the picture.../quote]

What about extra credit for saying it attaches to the wheels?

Offline 4129R

« Reply #171 on: Tuesday,January 08, 2019, 02:50:00 PM »
I can only remember Archimedes for measuring volume by displacement of water and weighing the water displaced from an Archimedes Eureka beaker with a spout, and using a cork screw type thing to raise water up a tube.

I also believe he was arrested for running around Athens dripping bath water, totally naked, shouting "eureka".

Offline 4129R

« Reply #172 on: Tuesday,January 08, 2019, 03:00:09 PM »
I am guessing the black one is a different diameter for the rear wheels, the round flange centres the torque wrench into the middle of the wheel, and there is a centre part which grips the single locking nut holding the wheel on the hub, and they are pre-set to the correct torques.

P.S. The man in the photo must be doing up a left hand thread on the right side of the car.

Or maybe the red is the right side for left hand threads, and the black is the left side for right hand threads, on the wheel "spinner".

I use a 2 lb mallet on my locking centre wheel nuts, with the note changing when it is tight enough.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #173 on: Tuesday,January 08, 2019, 06:15:16 PM »
I can only remember Archimedes for measuring volume by displacement of water and weighing the water displaced from an Archimedes Eureka beaker with a spout, and using a cork screw type thing to raise water up a tube.

I also believe he was arrested for running around Athens dripping bath water, totally naked, shouting "eureka".

Alex..."Give me a lever long enough and I will move the world"... Archimedes....using a lever for force multiplication.
The first torque wrench or breaker bar...
« Last Edit: Tuesday,January 08, 2019, 06:18:28 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #174 on: Wednesday,April 10, 2019, 01:35:16 PM »
A different twist to this story..."One week"

The 1974 Canadian grand prix at Mosport.
A race of one driver dominating the event, only to relinquish victory with a hand full of laps remaining.
Another who fought through the field, and the debut of a (short lived) rising star.

Lauda, ran away and hid in the 312T, for sixty seven of the eighty laps...only to hit debris, fall off track and gift Fittipaldi in the Mclaren victory. This promoted Reggazoni up to second, and Peterson who started tenth, carved his way to the podium. The gap from second to fourth (Hunt) was a mere five tenths.

Debutant Helmut Koinigg, at his first formula one race surprised most everyone. Driving an uncompetitive Surtees, managed to come home in a very respectful tenth place...

A week later he was to lose his life at the "light bulb" corner at Watkins Glen. I wont go into the details, but I witnessed the aftermath, as we were only about fifty yards up track from the accident. The race continued, as the corner workers quickly determined the crash was fatal, and covered the debris. Seven days had passed, from adulation to sorrow, with Koinigg's life in the balance.  It was another dark weekend for me that October. I was still feeling the effects of Cevert's passing the previous year here.

« Last Edit: Wednesday,April 10, 2019, 02:00:59 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline BDA

« Reply #175 on: Wednesday,April 10, 2019, 08:49:42 PM »
F! is thankfully a lot safer than in years past. The danger added a dimension but I wouldn't say that seeing drivers get killed was worth that dimension. It's distressing to be a race where someone dies. I can remember two. One when I was racing, a FF driver went off in an unusual place. Before he was out of his car, another FF driver spun off and crashed into him. The second guy was hit in the helmet by the exhaust pipe of the first car. After that, the rules for exhaust pipes changed so they weren't so long. At the Runoffs at Atlanta one year (I was a spectator), a F Atlantic driver flipped his car at the bridge turn. He landed on his roll bar which broke off and he was killed. Senseless deaths but there were many people, at the time, who figured death was just part of the sport. Thankfully we've moved on.

I would recommend the movie "1" that is on Amazon Prime for free now. It conicals the history of F1 with a strong focus on the changing attitudes about safety. Your mentioning Koinigg's death reminded me of it since his death was mentioned as was Cevert's. I recommend it highly. It's excellent.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #176 on: Friday,April 12, 2019, 03:09:33 AM »
To mark the history of formula one's 1000Th race, Autosport's new issue will feature a twelve page spread of four of the "Game Changers"

I am patiently awaiting my copy in the post, however I have been told they include types...25,49,72& 79

Offline BDA

« Reply #177 on: Friday,April 12, 2019, 07:25:40 AM »
I'm hoping ESPN will cover some of the ceremony around the 1000th race. I saw on your other thread that Damon Hill will drive a 49. I hope they also have other significant cars, and there are many, especially the 79.

As much as I've loved your pictures and vignettes about the 72, I'm anxious to see the same treatment of the 78 and 79!

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #178 on: Friday,April 12, 2019, 09:22:41 AM »
I'm hoping ESPN will cover some of the ceremony around the 1000th race. I saw on your other thread that Damon Hill will drive a 49. I hope they also have other significant cars, and there are many, especially the 79.

As much as I've loved your pictures and vignettes about the 72, I'm anxious to see the same treatment of the 78 and 79!

Jim, I will do your bidding (types 78 & 79) stay tuned!

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #179 on: Tuesday,April 30, 2019, 06:27:53 PM »
John Player 1975 British Grand Prix...take aways

Graham Hill announced his retirement with hot shoe Tony Brise taking over.
First time in F1, a light system is used for starts.
Tom Pryce's first pole for Shadow.
Peterson and Henton both dnf...engine failure for Ronnie on lap seven, and Brian crashes out.
Hail storm hits track on lap 53...top six cars crash, and a total of sixteen damaged for the day.
Five cars of twenty six starters running when race stopped...
Results reverted to standings before storm.
Fittipaldi Mclaren, Pace Brabham, Scheckter Tyrell.