Author Topic: WTB: S1/S2  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Richard48Y

Re: WTB: S1/S2
« Reply #15 on: Friday,April 23, 2021, 05:51:09 PM »
My type 65 with TS head and Webers was just about exactly what I had been looking for.
Prices seem to be going up pretty rapidly of late, maybe because the Porsche price demand has already gotten ridiculous despite their being common and inferior?  >:D  :))
So waiting for just the right Europa may no be an option much longer.
If the price of admission gets too high what is left for the restoration?
If you are rebuilding an engine anyway the TS conversion may be less expensive than buying a car already converted?

Offline Clifton

« Reply #16 on: Friday,April 23, 2021, 07:17:14 PM »
I don't know all the avenues you are using to search but I used adhuntr to search Craigslist ads on my side of the country. I ended up finding something out of state.

Offline zeuna

« Reply #17 on: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 08:46:27 AM »
@Richard48Y: is a TS head the factory wedge head (non-crossflow) that came on the original Renault engine?  Are you running a dual Weber setup (side-drafts I assume)?  Would you mind posting a photo?

@Clifton: yes, my search is pretty wide ranging.  I am looking nationwide (perhaps I should be looking in Canada as well?) and did recently talk to a gentleman with an S2 for sale.  I'm waiting for some more detailed photos from him after our discussion yesterday.  I'd appreciate a link to anything you stumble upon that might be of interest.

Thanks again to everyone!

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #18 on: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 09:37:46 AM »
"TS" head is the cross-flow head.
Seems calling it a "Gordini" is not technically correct.
"Hemi is not completely true either as the combustion chamber uses a large quench area between the cylinders.

But Gordini and Hemi are the commonly used terms for it.
My car has some hill-climb and Auto-X history, the engine is fairly radical but in need of freshening after sitting for a long time.

Offline zeuna

« Reply #20 on: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 04:11:05 PM »
Thanks for the clarification @Richard48Y.

And thanks for the links @Clifton.  I spoke to the KC owner yesterday, but hadn't seen the LA car yet...

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #21 on: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 07:27:57 PM »
I would jump on one of those!
I have about $8K into mine and it is still a major project.
And I suspect that recent paint may be more valuable than an engine rebuild these days.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #22 on: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 09:35:21 PM »
If, if (!), the paint is properly done.  Had mine done, OMG it looked gorgeous.  3 months later the first stress crack started to show through under the clear coat.

Offline Bud

• 416-949-2778
« Reply #23 on: Thursday,May 06, 2021, 06:56:20 AM »
One thing you don't want to do as a novice is to get an S1. I almost bought one only to find out that certain parts are really hard to find and with fixed side windows, there is little circulation, especially on a hot day. Do your research and dig till you are comfortable with a pre determined purchase. I finally bought one after looking for a year and a half and will have a lot of work to do but hopefully it will be worth it when it is complete. Good luck