Author Topic: Gear Change Rod for a 365 Gearbox Too Short  (Read 234 times)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Gear Change Rod for a 365 Gearbox Too Short
« on: Saturday,July 15, 2023, 03:51:28 AM »
It seems my whole gear change rod assembly is too short. When the rod is fitted to the gearbox, the gear stick is at a very strange angle pointing forward.

I measured the rear part of the rod from the UJ to the back of the gearbox, against another rod I have, and it seems to be 6mm shorter.

I have ordered left hand threaded nuts, half nuts to lock the UJ threads left and right hand, and extra left hand full nuts to weld on the rear part to get the extra 6mm.

Are the rods for other gearboxes shorter?

Are the roll pins locking the UJ threads easy to get out? I have tried drifting them out, but they don't move. Should I heat the rod to get the pins out?

Offline jbcollier

Re: Gear Change Rod for a 365 Gearbox Too Short
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,July 15, 2023, 05:08:12 AM »
A 365 gear change link is longer than a 352 one.  You could lengthen it.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,July 15, 2023, 06:40:32 AM »
You could lengthen it.

I have ordered half and full LH thread nuts (1/2" UNF). Then I will get a nut welded on the end to make it 6mm longer. That seems to be the difference between the two, but is enough to make the gear stick very wonky. The UJ was loose in the LH thread, so the PO must have had problems. Adding the extra thread of the welded nut, and a half nut lock nut should make the rod the right length. New UJ ordered from SJ Sportscars, much cheaper than the Banks equivalent. 

Offline RafM

« Reply #3 on: Friday,July 21, 2023, 04:09:49 AM »

I believe that the banks UJ has been modified so that the studding can be easily unscrewed and replaced, L/h & R/H side.

Useful if you make minor adjustments and the new roll pin holes end up very close to original.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #4 on: Friday,July 21, 2023, 04:44:28 AM »

I believe that the banks UJ has been modified so that the studding can be easily unscrewed and replaced, L/h & R/H side.

Useful if you make minor adjustments and the new roll pin holes end up very close to original.

Very expensive.