Author Topic: Spare wheel is crash protection  (Read 3751 times)

Offline gideon

Spare wheel is crash protection
« on: Tuesday,July 10, 2018, 10:21:52 AM »
I came across this article recently, which is interesting because it is based on a discussion with Mike Kimberley and Chris Dunster, who both worked on the development of the TC.

https://drive-my.com/en/blogs/entry/under-the-skin-of-the-lotus-europa-twin-cam.html

One sentence in particular caught my eye :

“The mounting of the spare wheel onto the chassis was carefully arranged to give us maximum crash intrusion protection,” reveals Kimberley. “Under 30mph barrier crash conditions, we were able to achieve excellent results for the steering column tests.”

It hadn't occurred to me that the spare wheel was part of a crash protection system.  I wasn't planning to carry a spare wheel - but it is, perhaps, a good reason to keep the spare.

Offline BDA

Re: Spare wheel is crash protection
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,July 10, 2018, 10:56:09 AM »
Very interesting! I guess that's just another example of Chunky's penchant for having things have a dual purpose!

Unfortunately, that means I'm less safe because my spare tire is a repair kit and a car battery powered compressor.

Offline StephenH

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,July 11, 2018, 01:19:27 AM »
I might be OK if I go in backwards.....
Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2

Offline dakazman

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,July 11, 2018, 03:57:15 AM »
Just couldn’t resist 😀 LOL ..where did they get the idea ?

Offline gideon

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,July 11, 2018, 07:10:00 AM »
I was surprised they even did crash testing in 1971.  Anyway, the spare wheel is so close to the ground that it would probably only help if you hit a wall straight on, and then the bounce back caused by the tire will snap your neck.  But still, it's the thought that counts.

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,July 11, 2018, 08:22:10 AM »
I remember a tv show in the 70's, maybe some kind of doctor, or police show. There was a car crash, involved a head on between a Europa, and a larger sedan or wagon. The Europa appeared to be a "ramp" that the other car just drove up on. I know staged for TV, but....

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,July 11, 2018, 09:07:44 AM »
Yeah, I would think given the relative weights of the vehicles, that the Europa would more likely dive under another car than the other car driving up on the Europa!

Offline StrawberryCheesecake

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,July 11, 2018, 09:12:36 AM »
Makes sense I guess. It’s a luggage compartment mounted, pre-inflated  airbag for the chassis. Keep it pumped up!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,July 11, 2018, 09:38:20 AM »
Interesting read, Gideon. Thanks for posting.

I often get a good chuckle when the topic of Europa crash 'protection' comes up in conversation.

Unfortunately, that means I'm less safe because my spare tire is a repair kit and a car battery powered compressor.
haha  ;) Yeah, me too. But considering the degree of potential peril into which we place ourselves every time we operate a Europa on public roads, the loss of protection from a missing spare wheel likely won't make much difference. Certainly not enough for me to reinstall mine.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,July 11, 2018, 09:46:41 AM »
Agreed!

Maybe the spare tire was also a device to protect the frame. Just like the way Chunky puts the driver and passenger on either side of frame to protect the valuable frame in the event of an accident!

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,July 11, 2018, 05:54:17 PM »
Yeah, I would think given the relative weights of the vehicles, that the Europa would more likely dive under another car than the other car driving up on the Europa!

Yes. My recollection of the tv show has the front bumper of larger American sedan/wagon about where the drivers head would have been. Hence the ramp effect. Didn't dissuade me, in my later years, from purchasing a Europa, even though I'd never driven one. After actually driving the Europa, I've had second thoughts, when, at a stoplight, I look under the pickup truck beside me, over to the car on it's other side. Of course, with the state of my Europa at present, no chance of a accident happening. Unless I knock frame off the blocks :D

Offline 3929R

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,July 11, 2018, 08:23:15 PM »
I'm more worried about a side impact. However, I claim that my TCS is safer than a motorcycle. No idea if it's true, but that's what I claim.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,July 11, 2018, 09:36:01 PM »
I ride motor cycles as well.  You are a LOT more visible in a motorcycle over a Europa.  Still mostly invisible but not as invisible as when you are in a Europa.  When I am on the right side of a rig-pig, they can't see me, period.

http://i.imgur.com/OTyq8bL.jpg

With a motorcycle, at least they can see my head.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,July 11, 2018, 09:39:27 PM »
There was a great picture from an ad for a red S1A in El Paso a few years back that had a photo of it in traffic with a bunch of lifted 350 series trucks. It literally sat below the body lines of the trucks! I wish I had the picture!

In all honesty it kind of makes me want to get an elise as those should fair a bit better in an accident....Tons of huge trucks in Texas and few drive them carefully.

Offline 2766R

« Reply #14 on: Thursday,July 12, 2018, 02:21:45 AM »
IMHO, one should not dwell on crash protection in a Europa but rather collision avoidance.  Our Europas (as well as all other lotuses) maneuver extremely well and demand constant attention when being driven.  We just have to try and avoid getting involved with all the land yachts with their drivers preoccupied with texting, futzing with the infotainment systems, while sipping their lattes.  Try that while driving a Europa!!
BTW, I had a motorcycle many years ago.  At the time I was given this sage advice: when riding, pretend you're invisible; you'll live longer!   I use the same mind set when driving my Europa.
I guess if one is prone to exploring the limits of the envelope in a Europa, one should consider enhanced crash protection.  Just saying..