Author Topic: Steering damper ?  (Read 930 times)

Online gideon

Steering damper ?
« on: Sunday,March 04, 2018, 04:09:37 PM »
I discovered that my car has a steering damper fitted.  At least I assume it's a steering damper.  That's odd, isn't it?  Does anybody else have a steering damper?

The attached pictures show one end of the damper attached to the middle of the steering rack, and the other end attached to the tie rod.

Offline SwiftDB4

Re: Steering damper ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,March 04, 2018, 04:24:55 PM »
Wow that's pretty bizarre. Maybe ball joints or tie rod ends were worn and that's a ham handed way to cover it up? From the looks of your photos you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,March 04, 2018, 04:52:13 PM »
Yep, that's weird.
I also wouldn't be surprised if the PO wasn't trying to "fix" something so I'd be extra careful checking out the steering rack for any issues.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,March 04, 2018, 05:50:14 PM »
Never saw anything like that.  Not even on my jacked up pickup truck.  Very weird !  :WTF:

Online gideon

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,March 04, 2018, 08:15:36 PM »
The front T section of the frame is completely rusted out, so I guess it's possible that the beginnings of frame collapse at the front might have affected the steering. Hence the damper.  At least I can hope it's that and not another yet-to-be-discovered problem. 

Yes, I have a lot to do.

I spent part of today being defeated by a succession of rusted fasteners.  I rounded off one of the inner seat belt mounting bolts, so I left that one for later rather than doing more damage now. The outer/lower seat belt mounting bolts are completely rusted and will probably need to be cut off. The master cylinder won't come off, and I don't now why.  I can't get the steering wheel off.  I think I'm going to have to get some more "weapons" for the battle against rusted fasteners.  Maybe an induction heater coil ...

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,March 04, 2018, 08:18:26 PM »
Sounds like a big project! Are you going to replace or repair your frame?

Good luck! Keep us informed!

:lotus:

Online gideon

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,March 04, 2018, 08:34:18 PM »
I have a replacement frame.  I talked a bit about it in the "1265R is now in my garage" thread.  PO added some "reinforcements" at the front, probably as an over-reaction to the rusted out one.  I'm going to have to take a close look at that and decide whether to leave it as-is, or undo what he did.  At the moment I'm leaning towards undoing it, but I don't have to decide yet.