Author Topic: Detailing marathon  (Read 266 times)

Offline MAK

Detailing marathon
« on: Thursday,February 09, 2023, 09:42:49 AM »
My best friend and I just spend a couple of days detailing the exterior of 4 of his cars, didn't do the 70's Porsche 930 turbo.
Used Porter Cable dual action buffers, 3m's perfect 3 step, Liquid Glass car polish. Yes, it's back! and is just as good as original. Have used Liquid Glass for 40+ years, used Finish First while LG wasn't available. Not a fan of any Meguiar's products.  The Jag only needed the last 3m polishing compound, Triumph only 2nd & 3rd. Mercedes and Alpina needed all 3.
Some say you can't get a silver car to shine - I think the Jag is shinny. I find detailing cars to be therapeutic.
Garage is awesome, heated, lift tons of outlets and great tunes.  Was fun. can't wait to get a Europa in there. 

« Last Edit: Thursday,February 09, 2023, 09:44:54 AM by MAK »
"The best to you each morning"

Online BDA

Re: Detailing marathon
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,February 09, 2023, 11:01:07 AM »
You're welcome to detail my Europa any time!!!

I think they're all shiny but I will say the shiniest silver car I ever saw was an aluminum E-type! You had to be careful looking at it in the sun!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,February 09, 2023, 11:30:21 AM »
 Mac, excellent taste in cars BTW, I miss my 67 XKE 4.2 convertible in Maroon.  I like silver cars as they hide alot, meaning they hardly ever look dirty.
  The 3M buffer is an excellent tool, however out of my price range. I use the paint shops. LOL
 The 3m 3 step process is a very good choice and I highly recommend it in my posts. Don't get me started on shinny things, and YES, it is
  therapeutic.
  BTW Nice lift and garage.
Dakazman

Offline MAK

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,February 09, 2023, 01:10:48 PM »
Thanks
the Triumph already looked great, but the 3m #2 & #1 really made a difference, it was truly remarkable.

The only car that's mine is the wagon behind the Jag. Couple of years ago went to a car show, friend bought his Jag, and I brought my 85 Colony Park wagon, and they were next to each other. after the show he was pissed because my wagon got more attention than his Jag - told him everyone our age rode in wagons like mine but few families had Jags.
Regret selling the wagon, but its ok because now I'm after a Europa and that will fill the void.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,February 09, 2023, 02:02:52 PM »
  You will definitely be downsizing…😂.
Love the wagon, same grill and headlights as my elky. The wife saw you wagon and ask , “ What are you buying now?
  I have to many now and just trying to finish all of them.

Getting back to polishing, what pads do you use?
Dakazman

Offline MAK

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,February 09, 2023, 10:09:33 PM »
On these cars we used pads from Harbor Freight, mostly their white polishing pad. The Alpina was the only car that needed to have some paint correction due to heavy swirls and scratches, so we used their yellow minor cutting pad with 3m #1 then went to the white polishing pad with 3m's steps 2 & 3. My friend couldn't remember the last time it was polished, the car sits at his lake house which only gets used for a total of about 2 months year. I have used pads from Lake County, 3m and Chemical Guys in the past, they last longer than the Harbour Freight pads but they are considerably more expensive and cannot get locally.  Harbor Freight pads cost under $10, Lake County & Chemical Guys about $13 to $18, 3m $20 to $28 each.

Haven't done a heavy paint correction that required wet sanding or an aggressive pad compound combination in years, so I kind gave up on the expensive pads.   Also found that once the cars finish is at the stage where there are hardly any swirls you don't need to use an aggressive pad or compound.  Liquid Glass polish can be layered on time and time again, can leave it on for hours, do it in the sun and it just buffs off.  I probably have 15 coats on my wagon, so the swirls are actually in the polish not the paint.

This wagon was my 3rd Ford/Mercury wagon, 1st being an 82 County Squire,
2nd 88 Colony park - what was great back then is the front grill headlight style matched most State Highway patrol cars, so when you were speeding up on people they would immediately move over, thinking that you were the cops, ha just a station wagon - makes me laugh even today. HAHA
« Last Edit: Thursday,February 09, 2023, 10:16:19 PM by MAK »