Author Topic: Not Lotus, but twin disc clutch and aluminum flywheel on the street?  (Read 172 times)

Online Richard48Y

Not Lotus, but twin disc clutch and aluminum flywheel on the street?
« on: Saturday,May 21, 2022, 08:18:31 PM »
Car will be a TR6 based Dio Tipo.
TR6 2.5 has pretty good torque and the car will be hundreds of pounds lighter than stock.
I bought an unfinished race car and just pulled the engine to bits as it has been sitting a long time.
Nice set of Arias forged pistons in it but other than those, a balanced lower, the alloy flywheel with twin disc clutch, and a  seriously ported head it is not too special.

With the light pistons and flywheel I would expect it to rev well.
Not worried about the light flywheel, only the small clutch.

Pic of the factory demo car.

Offline BDA

Re: Not Lotus, but twin disc clutch and aluminum flywheel on the street?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,May 21, 2022, 08:56:54 PM »
Interesting car! Looks very nice from the picture...

I can't be authoritative about those small racing clutches because I've never used one. I had racing buddies who had them on their Formula Atlantic cars and I never heard any complaints about driving with them but then, those were racing cars. My major concern would be how suddenly they grab. A street clutch disk has springs to help ease the transition as the clutch bites. Having less rotational inertia, there might be some issues with the motor slowing down faster than a normal street motor making shifts a little bit trickier. I have an aluminum flywheel on my engine and I don't notice anything different in that regard but I have a street clutch so I don't think there is a good comparison. I would not worry about clutch handling the torque you expect.

I'd love to see more pictures of your project!