Author Topic: California Bans New, gas powered vehicles by 2035 !  (Read 1112 times)

Offline dakazman

California Bans New, gas powered vehicles by 2035 !
« on: Thursday,September 24, 2020, 04:38:30 AM »
          Sometimes life takes on old Hollywood movies.

The movie , The last Chance comes to life. Trailer here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=ASCmH1HdG6g

The specifics , you can resell old cars and buy cars out of state and bring them in .  Electric cars ok .

Dakazman

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: California Bans New, gas powered vehicles by 2035 !
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,September 24, 2020, 04:53:40 AM »
A similar thing over this side of the pond....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51366123#:~:text=A%20ban%20on%20selling%20new,virtually%20zero%20carbon%20by%202050.

Announced in February but lost in the Covid19 headlines, given the push into EVs I'm surprised they've not tried for even earlier.

Of course it will make very little difference to the planet, cars aren't the big polluter that some would like to make out and I'm not so sure they hold the same attraction to the modern generation that they did to ours.  Add in the recent experiences from Covid where more folks work from home and commuting drops, if this attitude becomes more prevalent then I reckon the demand for new cars won't be anything like the same as it has been.

Brian

Offline Roger

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,September 24, 2020, 06:07:45 AM »
I understand, Brian, that cars are in fact the biggest polluter in California.
Over here, fossil fuel consumption by transport is much greater than in Europe.  Maybe something to do with distances.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,September 24, 2020, 07:50:23 AM »
Over here, fossil fuel consumption by transport is much greater than in Europe.  Maybe something to do with distances.

Roger , maybe you should look at all the commercial and private aircraft that fly in your state. It is a much larger contributor of carbon emissions. Being on a coastal state you will never be able to stop commerce .  I’m glad they are trying to clean up the environment but where are all these batteries going to be disposed of? Solar shipping and railroads might also be a good start. 
I will agreed also with electric cars if it could be mass produced economically for all at an average price of an economy car. .  I also believe nuclear power will play a huge roll in tomorrow’s world. That’s my 2 cents.
  Dakazman

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Thursday,September 24, 2020, 08:40:23 AM »

I can see the case for pollution Roger and I'd agree that cars are most likely the biggest polluters in our cities over here;  it's clearly not sensible to have single occupancy cars sitting in traffic queues around densely populated areas. I can see a growing movement to ban cars from city centres which I think does make some sense. The elephant in the room is that in the UK at least, there are a lot of jobs/taxes generated from car ownership and it that stopped overnight......  well look at the fuss generated by Brexit and the potential effect on the UK motor industry. (and we don't even make that many !!)

Back on pollution as Dakazman says, cars are a drop in the ocean compared with aircraft both recreational and commercial.  Add in commercial transport such as lorries and the contribution by the private motorist isn't so great - but it is an easy target to sell.

In the end I think we'll see (and buy) EVs in the next decade because the technology is advancing. I've even looked for one as our next "normal" car although like computers, I'm not sure the time is right just yet.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,September 24, 2020, 01:46:25 PM »
I looked into a used ev car. The fiat 500 as they are cheap. I found that batteries loose 2.3% a year. In 10 years they will need to be replaced. Lithium isn't easy to come by for batteries although "they" have managed to work on replacing gov'ts in Ecuador and Bolivia that will gladly give away these resources for cheap. I ask my wife all the time what it will be like in 100 years or 500. 310 million people today, 600 million tomorrow, good luck charging all these batteries daily.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,September 24, 2020, 06:45:00 PM »
  I have also bought into this technology with my Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. It was on the lot and was very well equipped and with all rebates less than a base model. Afterward  finding out the battery is guaranteed for life of the first owner I pulled the trigger.  I can’t wait to get rid of it , it’s constantly switching from gas to ev so sometimes pulling out into traffic is sometimes very sluggish.

The more I read about this technology the less I like it.

Here is a little eye opener,
      https://www.prageru.com/video/are-electric-cars-really-green/

Dakazman

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Thursday,September 24, 2020, 10:13:53 PM »
[thread drift]
Although this is admittedly a "thread drift", I've got to admit that I think the future of transport is electric regardless of the logic, politics will make it so.  I also think we'll be driving far less than we do at the moment and our generation (I'm including every Europa petrolhead in this, regardless of actual age  ;)  ) will probably be one of the last to recognise the fun value of cars/motoring.

I watched the video Dakazman and yep, I agree with everything the guy states, EVs will not save the planet. Never in a million years.

Like the recent UK push to diesel engines claiming they are "greener" (huh, don't these guys do any thinking ?) I reckon in 10yrs time we might well be looking back and thinking "hmmm, now why did we do this ?".  At the risk of even wider thread drift, we might even be looking back and thinking "why on earth were we so hung up on CO2 ?" (dons Nomex suit, retires stage left)

But....     if you do a high mileage, especially in cities or other densely populated areas, EVs will cut down on local pollution. So I could see compulsory EV bus/taxi & smaller delivery vehicles.   That's the thin end of the wedge, if you want to drive in towns you get something that doesn't pollute locally. Heck 50yrs ago when I was a kid, every milk delivery float in our town was electric !

I won't disagree that electricity needs generating and regardless of how it happens, it's causing some negative pollution. But that will never be in the agenda;  a bit like the UK diesel push, fuel density and non-CO2 emissions were never mentioned at the time, "it's lower CO2" was all we saw.

In one way it's a bit sad because petrol engines have come on enormously. My missus changed back to a Suzuki Vitara for her latest car, a 1.6 petrol engine and nominally the same capacity as all the Vitaras she's had. A 4wd "soft" roader, again like all the others. But this one switches automatically between 2wd/4wd when it's needed (and yes, it does work) with the result that for 99%  it's in 2WD and doing 50mpg. (Imperial gallons of course) Her previous ones were also 99% in 2WD with the manual box but struggled to 30-35mpg so to my eyes there's been a massive improvement. (and I don't mean or care about CO2 !)

Personally I don't think it's about Petrol vs EV or saving the planet, it's about oil and where it comes from. We can all shove up a nuclear plant and generate electricity in our back gardens if we want to, but getting oil depends on where our back garden is. I don't even think it's about Peak Oil or it running out, it's all about energy security....

[/back on topic!! ]