Author Topic: To our Brit friends...  (Read 480 times)

Offline BDA

To our Brit friends...
« on: Tuesday,May 05, 2020, 11:48:26 AM »
I just heard that England has had more deaths than most countries in Europe. You all be safe and careful - especially those of you of the older persuasion!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: To our Brit friends...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,May 05, 2020, 11:29:06 PM »
Yeah, I've just seen that on the morning news as well and if I'm honest it came as a bit of a shocker. I expected us to exceed Italy because we are a couple of weeks behind and the rate of growth looked to me to be climbing faster for a similar time period. And of course we were later into lockdown and did some things which were pretty stupid even without the benefit of hindsight, so perhaps this was inevitable.

Like yourselves over there (and you've had even more deaths) we've had a big cultural & economic shock.   Personally I reckon a vaccine will be here before next winter whether it's needed or not, so long term there's a way out for all of us. 

If there was a defined method of treating this thing and avoiding the longer term lung damage I'd be more relaxed, I could put up with a couple of weeks feeling rough and I expect most others can/would do.  But as of yet, there doesn't seem to be anything definite on the horizon, or at least not reported widely in the media and some of the lasting effects are scary.

After almost 6 weeks of this our mindset has changed and frankly now I don't want to go to the pub, supermarket or anywhere with strangers or crowds.  One of my pastimes is archery, something I'm not very good at but love with a passion. This outbreak cancelled the remainder of our indoor season, my first planned competition and I expect it'll do the same for the one in June because it's a social sport and we have folks from all over competing. Not as significant as football, etc, but the risk is still there.

2020 is going to go down as one of the most damaging years in recent world history for all sorts of reasons - social, economic and emotional.

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,May 06, 2020, 06:25:12 AM »
Yeah, it hasn't been a good year so far and I think there will be a lot of long term effects we can only guess at now. Some will be good and I only hope that those good changes will weigh much more heavily when compared to the bad.

We appear to be starting to come out of it over here and I only hope you all will soon follow.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #3 on: Sunday,May 10, 2020, 10:39:39 AM »
I feel quite safe in a little village in the middle of nowhere in Norfolk.

I am apprehensive to say the least of returning to work in London.

Public transport will be a no go area for a long time.

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,May 10, 2020, 01:14:28 PM »
I think the best place to be is out in the country! I'd stay away from crowded cities too!

Something that is confusing is that two thirds of the people admitted to the hospital in New York City had stayed in their home as much as they could. It makes me wonder how much sense those stay at home orders make...