Author Topic: Selling JUNK parts !🤬  (Read 738 times)

Offline dakazman

Selling JUNK parts !🤬
« on: Monday,March 02, 2020, 07:54:55 AM »
  I recently purchased a Renault wedge head that was for sale on eBay, it turned out to be complete garbage. My machinist said that it had severe detonation in one cylinder causing the aluminum to undermine the valve seats. I thought to myself the seats could be enlarged , but not so says the machinist. The detonation pits the aluminum and new seats will not hold. So I asked about welding new aluminum in ... he said put it in the garbage. 🤬

So, is it just me or when something is junk why would you sell it to someone else? The seller is still listing other items so beware.
Dakazman

Online BDA

Re: Selling JUNK parts !🤬
« Reply #1 on: Monday,March 02, 2020, 08:15:18 AM »
Maybe you should tell other people interested in Renault stuff who hie is so he can be avoided...

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Monday,March 02, 2020, 08:26:05 AM »
To give the seller the benefit of the doubt, he/she might not know there's been damage (just buying/selling on items ?) or they may consider that whatever the damage it's recoverable. The problem comes when they've got more optimism than practical knowledge !

Until TC heads came back on the market over here, it was amazing what folks did to recover an old head. I've seen photos of combustion chambers and waterways which have been completely covered in weld metal to be machined back. Skimming the head face isn't that tricky but restoring the shape of a combustion chamber does sound challenging. But back then, with no new castings around many folks just had to pay up.

But that's for a TC head, for the Renault head I've no idea if similar sums apply.  It sounds from your machine shop that the cost wouldn't be economic, perhaps they think the welding/machining is going to come in at more than the head sells for ?

Personally I'd be tempted to at least go back to the seller and see what they say.

Brian

Offline gideon

« Reply #3 on: Monday,March 02, 2020, 09:43:51 AM »
If the seller isn't initially helpful, then you may have a claim under the eBay money back guarantee for faulty items

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?id=42

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Monday,March 02, 2020, 10:57:24 AM »
   BDA, it’s S2 Stuff also!  Two items purchased from the seller were bad now that I checked my purchase history. First was a cracked exhaust manifold, now this . I purchased at almost the same time.
 Gideon , thanks I’ll  try that avenue.

Europa  I did contact the seller on both items individual at the time . Not asking for my money back.
This time I got hit with ,  don’t slander me!
Dakazman

Online BDA

« Reply #5 on: Monday,March 02, 2020, 11:15:24 AM »
It sounds like this is not a reliable seller! I hope you get your money back. If you don't, you really should warn the S2 folks here.

I've seen welded repairs on aluminum heads as Brian describes. I was surprised to read that D'man's machinist suggested it was junk but figured he knew more about it than I did (and I'm sure he does!). I wonder if what the machinist was really saying is that it didn't make sense economically. Maybe those Renault heads aren't too hard to find in usable shape at a reasonable price.

Just a thought...

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,March 03, 2020, 07:28:54 AM »
D' man, do you still have the cracked exhaust/ intake manifold? If the intake side is still good I am interested. Thinking of putting on headers and need to cut up a manifold for the intake side. PM me or email.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,March 03, 2020, 03:31:14 PM »
  Sandy man, I have one all ready separated . I can take some pics tomorrow if that’s okay. however I will take pics of both and let you decide.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,March 08, 2020, 11:57:56 AM »
   I noticed I didn’t post a pic , what would you do to this head?
Dakazman

Offline Music City Lotus

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,March 17, 2020, 09:09:35 AM »
You can weld that up, and then reshape and fit new valve seats. I have seen much worse heads saved.
1971 Lotus Europa Type 65

Offline dakazman

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,March 18, 2020, 10:10:51 AM »
Thanks Music , I need some encouragement.
Dakazman