Author Topic: Changes to Yahoo Groups coming, ie They're killing groups  (Read 3029 times)

Offline BDA

Re: Changes to Yahoo Groups coming, ie They're killing groups
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,October 17, 2019, 03:29:24 PM »
Thanks for doing all that, Brian! If somebody wants a zip file of it, you'll need to upload it to something like google drive and share it with people who want it.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #16 on: Thursday,October 17, 2019, 05:25:02 PM »
    I also have about 90 percent saved. The download files are not going through, probably because of high volume.
Dakazman

Offline Dan C 2624R

« Reply #17 on: Thursday,October 17, 2019, 07:01:54 PM »
Thanks for doing all that work Dave and Brian.

I hope to be able to get some of the files to save as I can't complete any download due to the traffic.
I was hoping to wait out the initial flurry and try again in a few days.

Dan

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #18 on: Thursday,October 17, 2019, 10:52:14 PM »
I probably missed the congestion because I'm over the pond in a different time zone.

Question to anyone who knows....

I have a google email which comes with all sorts of other rubbish but I notice one of those is storage space.  If I put the whole lot up there as a zip file, could everyone access it or would I have to specifically "share" it with individuals ?  I've used large file transfer services to send designs but they are one to one things, not public.

Brian

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #19 on: Friday,October 18, 2019, 05:38:15 AM »
You may be right about any migration, Brian. As for the files, I suppose the context of the Documentation page could be expanded but Dan, who deserves our appreciation for taking over the site, hasn't been very active with it. I sent him a plan I found for gas struts for the boot. He said he would post it and when he didn't I reminded him. He said he'd get it soon but soon never came. I also get the feeling that with the lack of updates, that site has gotten quite stagnant. Obviously, it is still a good reference, and I use it frequently, but I wish our Lotus Joe had taken over. It's a bit sad because there are a lot of great features that if kept up to date would be very interesting and valuable. I'm a member of the Lotus Europa page on Facebook but I don't like Facebook and from what I can tell, they don't keep a very long history of posts (since I don't like it, I don't spend a lot of time on it so I could be wrong here). It also doesn't seem to lend itself to long detailed posts.

Dan Morrison has a lot on his plate managing both the Yahoo Europa mail list and the LEC. I've corresponded with Dan on various topics this past year and he indicated that he is slammed at work. I don't know how much time he can put into the Yahoo problem looming big in the very near future, hopefully he's looking into it and will give us an update.

Offline BDA

« Reply #20 on: Friday,October 18, 2019, 06:16:30 AM »
I figured he was busy with one thing or another or more probably many others, so I hope it didn't sound like I was coming down on him. I hope when he gets lose from the yahoo group, he'll be able to devote more time to it. It's a great site!

Offline gideon

« Reply #21 on: Friday,October 18, 2019, 11:49:49 AM »
Brian, to share a file on google drive with the forum do this

1.  go to drive.google.com
2.  right click on the item you want to share
3.  choose "Share" from the right-click menu
4.  click "Get shareable link" - top right corner of pop up window
5.  copy the link it gives you and paste a copy of that link here

« Last Edit: Friday,October 18, 2019, 12:00:04 PM by gideon »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #22 on: Friday,October 18, 2019, 11:13:24 PM »
Gideon,
Thanks for that, you've explained it very well. I don't really use online storage (a true Luddite, if it's not on a 5.25" floppy then it's not safe  :) ) so your help is appreciated.

I still think it would be preferable to have the files hosted on a recognised Europa site but can also see how much work would be involved. I thought a shared google drive (or anything else) that people can access to get their own copies might be an interim solution "just in case".

I have now got everything sorted in folders - eg top folder might be "F-Transmission" and that contains info on gearboxes, the several versions of cable shifters and reverse lock out, etc. so it should be easy to find. I'll give it some more thought, upload a few sample folders up to the google drive  and then try for the shareable link on this thread.  If it works Joe can either host the files on here or just the link if they don't fit in easily.

Brian

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #23 on: Friday,October 18, 2019, 11:48:15 PM »
can someone check to see if this works ?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uOmTsXhIF3qlutvCvmY8sAaliwc8Rwbj

you should see a google drive with a folder called "Lotus Europa Data".  Inside that folder will be another called "F-Transmission" which contains service bulletins and folders for the Yahoo files on transmissions.

If it works then as an interim measure I'll add the other workshop manual sections and hopefully anyone can make their own copies. I think. (it was far easier when we just handed each other discs)

Brian

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #24 on: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 05:11:12 AM »
Hi Brian,

Wow, you have a lot of info saved. After figuring out how to use Google docs, I was able to the files and folders in your Transmissions folder.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrookm Ca

Offline BDA

« Reply #25 on: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 06:20:30 AM »
Wow Brian! That looks great!  You've obviously put some work into that. Thanks!

I was able to download a file so that works as I expected. I do have a couple small organizational suggestions you might consider. In "5sp Reverse Lockout" there are plans for a reverse lockout device. Then in "Modifications to HTU35K" then in "Drivetrain Europa Reverse Gear Spring" there is a picture of (your?) reverse spring set up. Maybe, those two could be combined since they perform a similar function. Also in "Transmission - Clutch Gearbox NG3 Data" there is a file "NG3 Gearbox Fitment and ratios.ods." This contains ratios for more than the NG3 so it might deserve a different name and maybe be put in the "F - Transmission" folder.

Please don't take any of this as criticism! I think you've done a fantastic job and your organizing it into manual sections is a great idea! I suggested to Joe that you and he discuss how this would fit in the forum so I expect he'll contact you.

Thank you for doing this. If you want to divvy some of this stuff up, I'm available.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #26 on: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 08:33:32 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm really pleased that you can get in. I had tried it but as it's my account then I ought to be able to see it !

I have several other folders to go up and yes, there is duplication, in fact there's duplication on the Yahoo files folder as well. As I expect this to be a temporary holding storage I've not bothered too much about slimming it down other than removing the obvious adverts where someone's been selling their car and posted photos.

The "modifications to HTU" folder has crept through by accident.  On my hard drive I've got the manual in sections and have any mods/extra info alongside. I copied the structure to use for Yahoo files and must have missed that one because I know I've deleted some of them.

Keep an eye on the link and see if you can access the others when they go up. Next is "0 - Introduction" and "X-Documents and Brochures" where I've put the owners manuals plus articles, etc. Mostly from Yahoo but there might be a few others I've picked up but you can never have too much to read about Lotus's..... ;)

Edit to add....

I decided to copy everything up as it is. There's some non-Yahoo stuff there but it's all Europa so that can't hurt.  If you look at the image I've posted that's what you should see and hopefully you'll get to the sub folders.   If some of you guys could just try a few random sub-folders and tell me if you run into walls.

At some point over the next week I'll strip out my stuff and create a RAR file that you can download for your very own version of Yahoo......     
« Last Edit: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 09:12:14 AM by EuropaTC »

Offline BDA

« Reply #27 on: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 09:12:19 AM »
Wow Brian!!! I just went to your link and there was a page full of folders all organized!!! Very impressive and thank you!

What are your plans for this? Are you (and Joe) going to provide a link on a sticky post or are you going to incorporate it into the forum directly? On one hand, I can see how this is pretty self contained and fairly easy to navigate once you play with it a little. And, of course, this is a pretty simple facility to download documents. On the other hand, it might be useful to have comments associated with a document. For example, someone might provide sources or part numbers that the original doc left out or that have changed since it was written. Also an improvement of the original idea could be documented. I'm thinking that the forum format lends itself to that pretty easily.

Has this been set up so that anybody can view and download the files. I suspect some who are still on the yahoo group might be interested in this.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #28 on: Saturday,October 19, 2019, 11:49:21 PM »
What are your plans for this? Are you (and Joe) going to provide a link on a sticky post or are you going to incorporate it into the forum directly?

erm, erm...    :-[    I haven't really thought that far, my aim was to ensure that I'd got a set of the Yahoo files for future reference because I could see it vanishing "overnight". If I can share that with everyone else, then it's even better.  It can stay there for as long as it's useful because I don't use the storage myself. If Dan takes it on with the main Europa reference website then that's fine as well, I can delete them when no longer required.

On the other hand, it might be useful to have comments associated with a document. For example, someone might provide sources or part numbers that the original doc left out or that have changed since it was written. Also an improvement of the original idea could be documented. I'm thinking that the forum format lends itself to that pretty easily.

The idea of updating mods with current part numbers, etc, is the way forward and the sort of thing I think you could do better with a "wiki" format rather than a forum thread. For the forum you'd need individual threads per article to stop it becoming a dustbin collection where everything just gets thrown in.   I suspect that would end up in a mess with stuff getting lost. 

Has this been set up so that anybody can view and download the files. I suspect some who are still on the yahoo group might be interested in this.

Yes, I think it's general public access.  I followed Gideon's post and it appears that by making the top folder available to "anyone with the link" then you also get sub folders, which is pretty much what I wanted.  I looked at storing it on a seperate section on my website where we could have made navigation even easier, but I've not got enough space or bandwidth on my subscription, so the freebie google drive seems like a good stopgap.

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #29 on: Sunday,October 20, 2019, 09:11:49 AM »
I was thinking in terms of having a thread for each picture (or group of pictures) but thinking more about it, I guess that might be much more difficult to navigate, not to mention be a lot of work and you've done a super job with this! I would like a way to comment on the pictures such as modifications, sources, etc. but I guess we can hope that people who have tried what is in the pictures could post about them in the Garage or Technical Articles sections.