Author Topic: The Zetec 'Ropacane  (Read 70066 times)

Offline Chuck Nukem

Re: The Zetec 'Ropacane
« Reply #585 on: Saturday,September 02, 2023, 09:46:44 AM »
I have been working on my fuel tank assembly line. I am going to make aluminum versions of the S1, S2, TCS, Eclat, and Esprit tanks set up for either in tank FI pumps, or an external pump. Soon my fleet will have clean and rust free fuel pumping :)

The bellhousing is almost ready to burn out. Progress is afoot!

Offline BDA

« Reply #586 on: Saturday,September 02, 2023, 10:12:55 AM »
Great stuff, Chuck!!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #587 on: Saturday,September 02, 2023, 02:08:26 PM »
Awesome!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #588 on: Sunday,September 17, 2023, 02:37:04 PM »
The baffled fuel cell project is under way. I am also producing the coolant header tanks for S1/2, TCS, Elite/Eclat, and Esprit in aluminum. I will post more once everything is done! I have a good friend who is a talented welder and a fellow Europa owner that is helping me out with this undertaking. It's funny how many great things have happened as a result of mutual connections through these little cars. I had to show off his welding skills here. The pic of the bead was his first practice piece that morning!

Offline BDA

« Reply #589 on: Sunday,September 17, 2023, 02:56:40 PM »
Very nicely done!

If you're looking for projects:
NG3 owners either need or will likely need a new input shaft bearing. They are apparently made of unobtanium. One company makes a similar bearing that goes on the Mitsubishi 3000 (https://www.3sx.com/3sx-high-performance-billet-input-shaft-bearing-for-5-6-speeds). Of course it's bigger and can't be used by NG3 owners. The nice thing about their unit is that it can be rebuilt. The bearing and the seal are replaceable. Maybe in your "spare time" you could come up with a similar bearing for us NG3 owners...

Just a thought!  :)

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #590 on: Sunday,September 17, 2023, 03:35:09 PM »
Very nicely done!

If you're looking for projects:
NG3 owners either need or will likely need a new input shaft bearing. They are apparently made of unobtanium. One company makes a similar bearing that goes on the Mitsubishi 3000 (https://www.3sx.com/3sx-high-performance-billet-input-shaft-bearing-for-5-6-speeds). Of course it's bigger and can't be used by NG3 owners. The nice thing about their unit is that it can be rebuilt. The bearing and the seal are replaceable. Maybe in your "spare time" you could come up with a similar bearing for us NG3 owners...

Just a thought!  :)

Thanks BDA. Yes I have an NG3 that I plan to swap eventually. I will look in to it! Once I get a few products off the ground and tested I will have to get a website together :)

Offline BDA

« Reply #591 on: Sunday,September 17, 2023, 03:47:48 PM »
I’m not trying to rush you but do you have one to pattern your design after?

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #592 on: Sunday,September 17, 2023, 05:14:44 PM »
I’m not trying to rush you but do you have one to pattern your design after?

I believe my input shaft bearing is still in the case, I will have to inspect it later. Is this a unique problem to using the box with a TCS bellhousing? I am not so up on the issue.

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #593 on: Sunday,September 17, 2023, 05:29:07 PM »
That is some nice TIG. What machine are you using?

Offline BDA

« Reply #594 on: Sunday,September 17, 2023, 05:41:12 PM »
I don't think it is a unique problem to the TC bellhousing. When I pulled the tranny out of my car, I also changed the clutch disc. There was oil on the flywheel and I highly suspect that some got on the disc and/or friction surface as well even though it wasn't obvious. So I suspect that the seal in mine is likely worn. Since the seal/bearing is no longer available, I'll just have to live with the one I have for now.

I think the fact that somebody made a replacement for the Mitsubishi 3000 suggests that they have a similar problem.

I don't know what kind of seal they use but an 'X' type seal rather than a standard lip seal might be better because when you insert the input shaft into it, you could push the lip out compromising the seal. It might be instructive to find out what kind of seal 3SX Performance uses. I realize that is all something to worry about down the road.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #595 on: Monday,September 18, 2023, 07:26:35 AM »
That is some nice TIG. What machine are you using?

Thanks! It's a Miller Dynasty 350. Results definitely vary because my welding doesn't look anything like that on that machine!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #596 on: Tuesday,October 03, 2023, 02:00:00 PM »
It worked! Mostly! My kiln messed up the burn out so there were a few issues with unburnt plastic fragments being trapped inside. There were no cooling issues like with the intake manifold, and I seemed to get good flow all the way up the 1/8" walls. The voids from the plastic are correctable once I get my kiln working as it should. This piece was meant to be more of a development in order to verify all dimensions after cooling, and to test the heat treatment and milling. I could probably run it if I weld up the voids, so we will see how V2 looks!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #597 on: Tuesday,October 03, 2023, 02:30:02 PM »
Nice work Chuck!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #598 on: Saturday,December 16, 2023, 07:18:33 AM »
It works!!! The next casting should fix all my burnout issues so this is getting closer to being a reality. So far I have one other bellhousing in the works for a friend who is also doing a zetec swap. The moment that it slid on the dowels with the light tap of a rubber mallet was very satisfying :) When I confirmed that every bolt threaded in I began howling like a madman  :trophy:

In other news, I recently won neighbor of the year award when I brought these two darlings home. Notice the structural relief required to get the milling machine under my carport :)

The router is going to help facilitate future casting projects by making patterns for sand molding. The small mill is going to allow me access to a machine without the 2 hour roundtrip commute I am currently making. There are a few other exciting things in the background but I will wait to post about them until I have some more concrete results.

As an aside I am also experimenting with welded bellhousings and tail housings on my Eclat project. My car was a 4 speed and it had issues. Reverse would pop out, 4500 rpm at 70mph...I have decided to fuel inject the car and change over to a T5 transmission. I even found an old Lotus 5 speed but the headache of sourcing parts and rebuilding it with its comically small gears.... The T5 only weighs 75 lbs and it has many more gear ratios available. The Eclat calls for the shift location to be in a non standard position, about 2" behind the face of the tail housing. I was told by a T5 rebuilder that this is the ideal location for sunbeam alpine & tiger guys as well. So in the quest to try something different I cut up a Jensen Healey bellhousing and my plan is to weld a plate to it and machine it after the fact. For the tail housing I cut the detent box out and milled away the rest of the casting. We will see how it goes!

Offline BDA

« Reply #599 on: Saturday,December 16, 2023, 07:57:50 AM »
Amazing stuff, Chuck!! What else can I say? :beerchug: