Author Topic: The Zetec 'Ropacane  (Read 83438 times)

Offline Chuck Nukem

Re: The Zetec 'Ropacane
« Reply #45 on: Monday,December 09, 2013, 04:20:47 PM »
I got a new frame! Well a used frame...actually I purchased part of a used frame...First and foremost a huge thank you to Dave at sports car world in Dallas. They hooked me up with 90% of a TC frame and a nice used windshield!

I have taken the measurements I need from the T section off of the creature from the black lagoon. The rear section will be a little easier to make than the front I suspect. I have access to the tools that I need, so get ready to follow me on this little fabrication journey! anybody have any previous experience with frame work? I would love to hear from you!

As for the old frame, after I get this new one finished up, I am going to sandblast it and see what remains. If it can be saved I am going to save it. I would be tickled to death to have the original frame for the original twin cam :)

On a hugely significant side note I finally got to experience a Europa in the flesh! Dave took me for a drive in his '73 JPS special. Words can not describe how thrilled I was. Its a good thing you all know the feeling, because I know that I wont do it justice in writing! As I slid in the passenger seat Dave fired up the very willing motor. I was amazed at the sound!! Surely this can not be a 1.6L!?! We waited a minute for it to warm up as it was an uncharacteristically cold day in Texas. A light scent of twin cam exhaust made its way in to the cabin. He stamped on the pedal...my god what a visceral experience!! A pronounced click from the gear change and my upper back and head pop against the seat. It went on and on! And then there was the turn in...I swear it was telepathic. I haven't even driven the damn thing yet! The ash trey flew out and landed in my lap, an expensive souvenir. We gunned it around the neighborhood a few times...what a riot. I cant wait to get mine running! After hearing that twin cam in person, I would be lying if I told you that I didn't have immediate regrets about going the Zetec route...

Thanks again Dave!

Offline Serge

• http://sleurs-motorsport.com
    • Sleurs Motorsport
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday,December 10, 2013, 03:11:05 AM »
I have quite a bit of experience with frame work. The link below is a video of me repairing the backbone and I have also remade an entire front T section, but I haven't posted any pictures of video about that, but I'll add one to this post. First is the measuring and cutting 16 gauge sheetmetal, second one is all of the parts that will become the T-section and the last picture is the completed T-section completely welded up. Made with nothing more than a vice, a hammer, some holesaws and a TIG-machine.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqBmgBixX2s

Pictures and text:
http://sleurs-motorsport.com/?p=581

Don't forget that the later frames had a different construction of the backbone (one part in stead of the two [ ] shapes.)

Kind regards,

Serge

Offline cal44

« Reply #47 on: Tuesday,December 10, 2013, 04:42:05 AM »
Clamp the crap out of everything that moves

Measure five times....cut once. 

Stitch welding (Tack at point A, Tack at point Z, come back to Point B etc

You are lucky to be close to Sports Car World.

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday,December 10, 2013, 09:31:53 AM »
I'm pretty sure the fuel tanks can be saved.....with new ones.  :beerchug:
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline 3929R

« Reply #49 on: Tuesday,December 10, 2013, 03:40:39 PM »
The frame looks so good in your living room, are you sure you want to use it on the car?  :huh:
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #50 on: Tuesday,December 10, 2013, 03:54:48 PM »
Serge your frame looks wonderful! I have been keeping up with your videos and was wondering when you were going to address the front T section. Inspiring work!

Offline Serge

• http://sleurs-motorsport.com
    • Sleurs Motorsport
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday,December 10, 2013, 06:13:33 PM »
I'll try to get around editing the next couple of videos, the T-section video is the second in line that I need to do. But they'll both be shorter than the last one, so it shouldn't take that long.

My original T-section was too far gone, when I started to try and restore it, it became clear early on that it would be much easier to just build a brand new one. I do not recommend to use the drawings and dimensions on Jerry's website, because when I compared them to my original T-section, everything was way off.

Kind regards,

Serge

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #52 on: Tuesday,December 10, 2013, 06:44:50 PM »
Yeah, I took measurements off of my old frame. I was surprised by how different the construction of the S1/S2 and TC frames were. Should not be too bad! I will be using a mig welder, but I think it will be OK for this job.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #53 on: Thursday,December 12, 2013, 06:33:03 PM »
Hey guys quick question. I am not near my old frame at the moment and I need the diameter of the 5 speed tranny tube. If anyone can run out and measure it for me I would greatly appreciate it! I am going to buy the sheet metal tomorrow and don't have time to run out to see the car.

Much appreciated!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #54 on: Friday,December 20, 2013, 09:19:28 PM »
I got the cooperative axle free from its hub. Still hitting the other one with a daily dose of PB blast and occasional torching. I even tried bathing it in a kerosene/synthetic oil solution for a few days. Hopefully this will pay off when I try to break it loose. I think my axle looks pretty good all things considering! I have definitely seen worse ones out there.

The Head is a different story. I have been hitting it with a ritualistic PB blast in preparation for some gut wrenching...wrenching. Someone has an EZout nestled in one of the spark plug threads. The PO didn't know anything else about it, just that it was there and he didn't want to take a chance with it. It will probably be a few months before I attempt anything on the head, but I want to let it soak.

Hopefully some sandblasting will be happening in the near future...I have a lot of parts to clean....

Offline cal44

« Reply #55 on: Saturday,December 21, 2013, 04:56:05 AM »
Brother Nukem

Be very careful when sandblasting.  I prefer bead or shell on steel (less damage).   Especially on "any" aluminum engine or suspension parts.  Some mediums can and will embed in the soft alloy.  And then may break loose when the engine is put back together for a rather unpleasant surprise. 

I hot tank those pieces.

mike
« Last Edit: Saturday,December 21, 2013, 05:07:46 AM by cal44 »
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #56 on: Saturday,December 21, 2013, 08:26:18 AM »
Sorry, I should have specified a bit more. I am only going to sandblast the steel pieces. I have a nice ultra fine grit that works very well. As for the suspension, head etc, I have access to an ultrasonic parts cleaner that I am going to use.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #57 on: Sunday,December 22, 2013, 03:04:32 PM »
Both axles are free and I have the hubs stripped down.  :BEER3:

Hopefully some new purchases will be on the horizon  :))

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #58 on: Monday,January 13, 2014, 09:20:12 PM »
Let's get this party started!! This is my first attempt at real fabrication, and I am pretty pleased with how it's going so far. I am making an extra set of trailing arms for this new frame I am going to have.  :welder:

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #59 on: Monday,January 13, 2014, 09:23:11 PM »
Here are a few more!