Author Topic: Console  (Read 2111 times)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
Console
« on: Monday,February 25, 2013, 11:28:32 PM »
Speaking of dashboards...My OEM console is cracked and torn in a number of places.  The PO had also drilled several holes for additional switches I won't be using.

Rather than attempting to patch a deteriorating piece of plastic, has anyone upgraded their own console?  If so, I'd be really interested in learning how you did it.
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: Console
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,February 26, 2013, 10:19:23 AM »
I'm interested to know a bit about this myself. My console is in very good condition, but is somewhat warped and that thin plastic they are made of looks cheap. Eventually I'd like to make one that looks more 'quality'. I was reading on the Lotus Talk forum awhile ago where a guy was making interior parts out of some sort of modelling foam material that is lightweight nad easily cut and shaped. It is then covered with an upholstery material of choice. I didn't note the specifics at the time but I think the process is well known to those 'in the biz'.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,February 26, 2013, 10:28:23 AM »
Maybe something like this?

Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,February 26, 2013, 01:39:37 PM »
Lotus Joe,
That console looks great! Is it made out of CF?
The parts car I purchased had a cracked and weathered, warped console. I've fiberglassed the inside, need to repair some external cracks. Purchased some brown leather to have it covered with. Will make a burl wood finish center.
The console that is in my car is fiberglass - came from Banks? Not flimsy at all.
andyh

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,February 26, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
That's a very impressive lay-up Joe.

As the young folks say, "respect" to whoever did it, the way the matt plies are arranged is very neat. I'm not a fan of CF trim myself, but do appreciate good workmanship when I see it.

Brian

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #5 on: Saturday,March 02, 2013, 02:33:50 PM »
Add my name to the "cudos" list Joe... Except add that I hate you :))

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,March 13, 2013, 01:46:10 PM »
Executive Decision:

I think i'm going to make one up from aluminum.  I'll make the sides as individual pieces and the top from 2 pieces, all welded together.  Along the top edges, between the change from side to top, I'd like to add a leather covered aluminum channel that matches the channel across the bottom of the dash.  I'd also like to add a thin plywood veneer on the top that matches the wood of the dash.  I'll also probably mount the carpet on the outside of the aluminum side, ending it under the aluminum channel.  I never liked the plastic over the carpet look anyway.

I'll be adding a bit of special bling to the area where the ashtray and window switches are normally located, so I'll dump the ashtray and re-locate the switches.

I'm also toying with the idea of re-routing the throttle cable THROUGH the tunnel, above the shift bar as opposed to letting it rest across the top.  It would make fitting something a lot less complicated and also allow replacement of the cable without having to disassemble the console.

I'll keep ya'll informed when I get around to doing it.

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,March 27, 2013, 01:17:23 PM »
A quick update to my console.  I was sorting through my sheet materials and noticed how light marine grade 1/4" luan ply is.  I fashioned a stiff, rugged console fitting the joints with pre-bent thin aluminum sheet, pop riveted to both sides of the joint.  This makes the joined panels so strong, it's impossible to adjust the angle after they've been attached.  It's not carbon fiber, but it is light. 
« Last Edit: Wednesday,March 27, 2013, 01:21:05 PM by LeftAngle »

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,March 27, 2013, 06:00:59 PM »
Ok,  what is up with the diamond plate?? i recall that stuff is very heavy...  :huh:

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,March 27, 2013, 08:36:12 PM »
It's 16 gauge, not heavy at all, probably around 15 lbs for both sides.  I'm using it to reinforce the area around the cut-out. 

Offline 3929R

« Reply #10 on: Friday,March 29, 2013, 09:46:40 AM »
Just wondering about the small access hole in your console.  It looks too small to be used to access the shift linkage but if you have to remove the console to access the linkage, why have a hole?   

Now that I'm thinking about it, perhaps the padded armrest that covers this area could be hinged and a small cubbyhole storage bin could be located under it?  Hmmm..... 
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #11 on: Friday,March 29, 2013, 04:58:44 PM »
Good question... The hole has nothing to do with the shift linkage. The console lifts out for that as you surmised. It's for the connection of the choke and heater cables to levers mounted behind the shift.  The top will have to be in 2 prices for the same reason.  I don't like the weave pattern of the leather because it's so hard to keep clean, so I'll probably forego with the arm rest.  I'm kind of designing this as I go along and expect to make changes.  I installed the carpet on the floor, behind the seats and on the side of the console, so those areas are pretty much locked in.