Author Topic: Synthetic Veil  (Read 1784 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: Synthetic Veil
« Reply #30 on: Saturday,February 25, 2023, 11:47:09 AM »
  Okay, now I understand.  We’re  working on the same problem with different techniques , the epoxy is definitely stronger method.
  Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #31 on: Tuesday,February 28, 2023, 03:34:52 PM »
  The last of the three doors and an engine cover , now ready for primer.  I still have 1/2 gallons to use up. This will all most be the last glass project except for a bonnet as I mentioned before.
  One little job before that is to finish installation of my carbs . It’s very tedious! I did place the carbs into the cavity but need to secure in place . Just giving you all a perspective.
  The highlight for today was a friend of mine returning with a friend.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #32 on: Thursday,March 09, 2023, 02:33:35 PM »
  I realized I put some veil projects on my ,”downtime” thread  but bear with me . The bonnet with all the defects were coated with composite veil and primed . What a difference in first coats. Much cleaner with no pinholes. The bonnet was duplicated, I covered the bonnet in plastic and covered it with the composite veil making a cover, then removed and trimmed. Secondly, reattached to the bonnet to add the sides. After drying I removed the bonnet. Next, flipping it over and building up the sides with Matt .
Keeping the contour was tricky with only the composite veil hold the flex.
  Then added a full sheet to the inside today.
 It’s still much lighter than the original with only the rounded lip on the underside and a cross brace to go. Cut the bobbins but still need to form and drill.
  This will be the experimental version, with the repaired one being a JPS livery.
Dakazman
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #33 on: Tuesday,March 21, 2023, 05:37:42 PM »
  These pieces are now much easier to look at hanging from my ceiling. I’ll break them out and finish when I get some spare supplies. Bonnet and boot both covered in composite veil, Doors are mixed.
 Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #34 on: Tuesday,March 21, 2023, 07:22:56 PM »
Looks great, D'man!!  :beerchug:

Offline dakazman

« Reply #35 on: Wednesday,March 22, 2023, 04:54:23 PM »
  Thanks BDA ,
  I missed this photo!  One other door going up un- primed after I sand it out a bit more. Combining tasks makes life easier. 
Dakazman

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #36 on: Wednesday,March 22, 2023, 06:22:24 PM »
Nice work!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline dakazman

« Reply #37 on: Monday,April 03, 2023, 08:48:48 AM »
  It will be a while before this test can be completed. Ill bake these parts if the hot Florida sun to bake off. Afterwards I'll paint and clearcoat.
 sand and polish up and WAIT for the results. The JPS bonnet is painted but not cleared yet. making my stencil is time consuming.
Dakazman

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #38 on: Monday,April 03, 2023, 06:16:09 PM »
Question dakazman: How do you paint (base coat I presume) and then not clear within the allotted open time?

Offline dakazman

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday,April 04, 2023, 08:04:34 AM »
  Kram,
   In short, I use the repair blending procedures. Apply 1 coat of 222S™ Midcoat Adhesion Promoter over the entire repair area.
then I'm spraying another basecoat of a different color, Black over gold.. then repeat the promoter and spray clear.
  repairing a same color panel is very difficult to buff out without a blend line. some people can cut it just right but I'm not that good or patient. 
  I'm using CHROMAPREMIER® BASECOAT (F) G9900 super jet black.

Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #40 on: Wednesday,November 15, 2023, 05:43:43 PM »
  This seems to be the proper thread, it will be the final painting on the composite veil bonnet.
I’m adding a JPS insignia to the panel. It’s been a PIA but I worked through many of the problems.
  Layout and doing an initial cutout all most complete, but it’s been a time sucker and is just sn experiment.  Hopefully I’ll see an improvement in the final finish.
Dakazman