Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

TC New Water Pump Leaking.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Pfreen:
I always pressurize the engine with air to 10 psi and check for leaks prior to installing the engine.  That whole front end seals water to air and water to oil.  Either leak is bad.
After two rebuilds of the water pump, I plugged the bearing hole and installed an electric water pump.  I haven't had another problem.

EuropaTC:
Alex - good to hear it's sealing, we can all manage without doing jobs twice !

--- Quote from: Pfreen on Sunday,July 16, 2023, 03:08:01 AM ---After two rebuilds of the water pump, I plugged the bearing hole and installed an electric water pump.  I haven't had another problem.

--- End quote ---
I must admit I'm leaning more towards that solution if I ever have to do one again. Once fitted the original pumps work very well, but the idea of an electric pump that you could leave running for a few moments after stopping the engine to reduce heat soak in the head/block does have some appeal.

Brian

Pfreen:
It's also cheap, can be changed in an hour or so, and I carry a spare just in case.

Bainford:
 I am digging the idea of an electric pump, too. If my stock pump gives up, I'll probably switch.

TheKid#9:
Same thing happened to me, fitted a new water pump, then it leaked. What did I do? I bought Dave Bean's removable water pump assembly and it is being fitted as we speak. Expensive but well worth it if you plan on keeping your car for 10 plus years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version