Author Topic: Hello Forum, here's #1124R  (Read 3511 times)

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
Re: Hello Forum, here's #1024R
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday,February 06, 2019, 12:40:34 PM »
 :Welcome:

I love the bright colours that many Europas were painted. An added bonus, they are visible.
« Last Edit: Friday,February 08, 2019, 09:01:00 AM by 1970EuropaGuy »

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday,February 06, 2019, 12:58:52 PM »
In a driving world today where 90% of all vehicles seem to be a some shade between white and white (and the occasional maroon LOL), it truly brings a smile to my face to be reminded of when the automotive world was filled with so many colors.  Welcome my friend to the forum!!! :beerchug:

Offline Music City Lotus

Re: Hello Forum, here's #1124R
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday,February 06, 2019, 03:08:45 PM »
Yeah, I kinda have a thing for bright green...
That is one of my 2 wheel toys, Rickman CR900 turbo
1971 Lotus Europa Type 65

Offline BDA

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday,February 06, 2019, 05:57:49 PM »
I love the bright colours that many Europas were painted. An added bonus, they are visible.

I seem to remember many years ago - I think it might have been when I was in high school - which means it was an age ago! - that Mercedes did a study of what color is the most visible under all weather and light conditions and I thought the results were that white was the most visible. Obviously, that wouldn't hold true during snow!

That was certainly a long time ago and I could easily be wrong (as readers here surely know!) but I don't think it's a question that bright colors like yellow, orange and lime green would also be VERY visible colors and red under most conditions.

Incidentally, I've always had a thing for white cars and my first Europa was white so I had to go with white almost regardless of how easily it could be seen.

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday,February 06, 2019, 11:15:07 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Lovely car!

It would be hard to ignore pistachio green or Colorado orange! Mine’s going back to Lotus Yellow like Certified’s amazing car. I wonder if Mercedes had a surplus of White paint before the study.

Regards,

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday,February 06, 2019, 11:37:57 PM »
Mercedes did a study of what color is the most visible under all weather and light conditions and I thought the results were that white was the most visible. Obviously, that wouldn't hold true during snow!

Of all the driving conditions, I would like to be seen in fog.

Imagine being caught in fog on a main road, and a large truck coming up from behind and he hasn't seen your lovely white Europa.

I think I won't drive in fog now, after that thought.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #21 on: Thursday,February 07, 2019, 04:42:08 AM »
Fit a "rain light".

Offline BDA

« Reply #22 on: Thursday,February 07, 2019, 08:45:22 AM »
Yeah, fog would probably be a real problem for me (snow too, but then I am very unlikely to drive in the snow) but not so much for a yellow or red car. It could be that the probability of the weather conditions was factored in, that their tests were poorly constructed, or that I misremembered.

So I did a search for "most visible car color" (maybe I should have done that before opening my yap about something I thought I remembered - or misremembered - fifty years ago!) and there appears differences of opinion. This article says bright yellow or blue is the most visible: https://www.cartoq.com/which-car-colours-are-safest-for-you/

Then a little further down this article says that white is: https://www.carsdirect.com/car-safety/what-is-the-safest-car-color-for-avoiding-accidents

There are lots more and there is a bit of variability but it seem that bright colors and white are generally at the top.

If white is the best, I'm happy but my car is white more because I like it than anything else.

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #23 on: Thursday,February 07, 2019, 08:51:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Lovely car!

It would be hard to ignore pistachio green or Colorado orange! Mine’s going back to Lotus Yellow like Certified’s amazing car. I wonder if Mercedes had a surplus of White paint before the study.

Regards,
I was driving on the I5 to Portland a few months ago in the rain and mist and a bright green Ford Focus or something went past me. One of the few modern cars that was really visible at the time. Bright colours rule.

I've always wanted a JPS Europa but after purchasing my yellow one I wouldn't go back.