Author Topic: No/very "weak" weber sound  (Read 837 times)

Offline Lyngeled

No/very "weak" weber sound
« on: Monday,March 18, 2019, 11:33:31 PM »
Hello
I have 2 dcoe 45s and was searching after what people was talking about of this sound weber have. I did not notice any impressive sound. Now I've found a YouTube video which I think is comparable to my engine: https://youtu.be/-EIrl4-tTDo. The sound of my engine is no as distinctive as these. I was thinking that there is a problem with the the adjustment of valves and timing. Maybe if these are very wrong it could make the weber sound weak?

Regards Lars

Offline Lyngeled

Re: No/very "weak" weber sound
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,March 19, 2019, 03:45:56 AM »
... It's not the most important thing with the engine. But it may be a another sign of the that the engine is not adjusted right.

Offline Nero

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,March 19, 2019, 04:38:44 AM »
Are the carbs set up properly? Most engines run very rich at idle to compensate for cold start, a more lean engine does sound kind of “weak”. Get a lambda/ air fuel ratio sensor or find somebody who has one. That’s the easiest way to tell.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,March 19, 2019, 06:25:29 AM »
The intake and exhaust sounds an engine makes depends on many things.  I wouldn’t tune an engine to get a certain sound.  Tune the engine to optimal settings and then the sounds are just what you get.  So, start with checking that the valve clearances and valve timing are correct.  Then do a compression test to see if there are internal issues.  Next check the ignition timing and advance curve.  Then, and only then, set up your carbs.

My former boss and I have Ducati singles.  His is a 450 with a straight pipe.  Mine is a 250 with a megaphone stuffed with fiberglas batting.  His actually sounds pretty quiet and restrained.  Mine barks and howls like a mad thing.  The real difference is that he has a stock cam and I have a full race cam.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,March 19, 2019, 08:52:08 AM »
My former boss and I have Ducati singles.  His is a 450 with a straight pipe.  Mine is a 250 with a megaphone stuffed with fiberglas batting.  His actually sounds pretty quiet and restrained.  Mine barks and howls like a mad thing.  The real difference is that he has a stock cam and I have a full race cam.

And a cylinder with half the displacement.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,March 19, 2019, 12:39:04 PM »
Like JB said there is more to the intake and exhaust note than webers.  I had a mini with little intake ducting with and SU carb, it sounded pretty sweet.  I think what happens more often with Webers as a performance upgrade people install higher flowing air filter set ups, more air in also means more sound waves out especially if they don't have any piping or air system to flow through.  That is the weber sound I think people look for, unmuffled intake noise.  You also get pulses off the back of the intake valve that will sound different with individual runners versus an intake that consolidates 4 or 2 ports into 1.
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter