Author Topic: Saying “Goodbye” to the Old Bag Part II  (Read 1347 times)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
Saying “Goodbye” to the Old Bag Part II
« on: Sunday,August 24, 2014, 06:14:46 PM »
Some time ago I described how I fitted the original push-to-squirt washer pump with a momentary electric push button.  That setup is still valid, but despite all my attempts to stop it, the entire device still rotates whenever the switch is turned.  My car isn’t on the road, but I can foresee the time I’ll need to use the wipers and be faced with an uncomfortable situation.

For me, over-designing things has become the most enjoyable part of any task I do.  Today, I’ve come up with an unbelievably over designed component to eliminate the issue of a loose wiper/washer switch completely.   Instead of spending 20 minutes hacking something together in the garage, I’ve spent the day designing it and then put my employee (a 3D printer) to work for about an hour and a half making it.  Now, I can display my work so everyone can witness how I waste my time doing things no one will ever see.

The result of my efforts is a mount for the pump-switch that locks everything in place without restricting the switch's removal in any way.  The best part for me is, the locknut and worn out mounting threads no longer need to keep a death-hold on the washer/pump to prevent the unit from turning in its mount.  They only need to be snug enough to keep the device against the dashboard.

The mount is made in 2 parts, a base that screws directly to the back of the dash panel and a collar that holds the washer/wiper switch and prevents it from rotating.

The first time it's installed, the pump/washer will rotate when the knob is turned.  It does this so the washer icon on the knob can be set to its proper up-down position.  There are alignment ridges where the base and collar line up.  The first time the device is installed, the knob is positioned in the proper position and that point on the base is noted and marked.  The pump/switch and collar are removed and a generous amount of acetone applied to the bottom of the collar.  Everything is set back in place and the job is done. 

The pump/washer switch still attaches to and is removed from the dash normally, but is now locked in place with the knob's icon facing the correct position.

The concept can easily be applied in a workshop with materials other than plastic.  If anyone is interested in printing one, I'll attach the stl files.  A fair number of things on my car have been designed and printed in ABS.  Other than my washer/wiper trials, most of alterations change the way things work and look for aesthetic reasons... In a non concours, customized fashion.  Few would be interested in copying them and it's taking much longer than I imagined to do, but I like the way things are beginning to come together.   Eventually, I'll get descriptions and pictures of all my modifications up.

Bruce
« Last Edit: Sunday,August 24, 2014, 06:19:30 PM by LeftAngle »
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline BDA

Re: Saying “Goodbye” to the Old Bag Part II
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,August 24, 2014, 06:37:53 PM »
Very cool! I'll bet that 3-D printer is interesting to play with.

Are you going to make it to the LOG?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,August 24, 2014, 07:41:20 PM »
Well they say we're all somewhere on the spectrum.  I just spent a week making rad/condenser/fan mounts.  First time is just a hands-on thinking process.  After that comes the fun: two versions before deciding to change the fan and then starting again.  I find it satisfyingly therapeutic.

Offline Europaforever

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,August 28, 2014, 05:31:49 AM »
Great, I'm not alone then. I spend time painting things no one would care about, out of the way stuff. Then you
look under the bonnet of your modern car and realise how bad it looks in comparison, no shiny clips etc,  I was polishing the heater valve with
Brasso the other day and thought- how did it come to this! (shined up real good by the way)...

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,August 28, 2014, 07:37:05 AM »
So Europafan, are you going to tease us with descriptions of your heater valve? Where are the pictures?

You too, John. Let's see those rad/condenser/fan mounts!

Offline Europaforever

« Reply #5 on: Monday,September 01, 2014, 05:20:21 AM »
Hi, I posted a pic of the engine bay in Members Cars section...

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,September 28, 2014, 07:09:30 PM »
Bruce,

This is a great idea for fixing the washer switch. I'm just about to get a 3D printer (a RepRap Prusa i3), and think this would be a good part to try - once I've assembled the printer! If I'm not bothered about the orientation of the knob, would the piece be more secure against rotation if it was printed as a single part, rather than two?

Do you have any other STL files for Europa parts? I noticed someone has a design for the instrument binacle, on thingiverse:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:33034

Julian