Author Topic: tyres, grrr  (Read 2308 times)

Offline ron parola

tyres, grrr
« on: Monday,September 22, 2014, 12:36:55 PM »
So I went to 14in wheels due to the dearth of good street tires for my 72 Europa. I was pretty happy with my Brigdestone Potenzas; 195r, 185f. Time for new tyres, BUT no longer produced what are others using that they are happy with? I'd rather not go to 15's; ride is hard enough and I'm not sure the 22's would have the correct look. Thanks Ron Parola

Offline BDA

Re: tyres, grrr
« Reply #1 on: Monday,September 22, 2014, 04:09:01 PM »
I don't have a suggestion since I'm running 15s, but have you checked Tire Rack. Here's a link for 185/60-14s and 195/60-14s (are those the sizes you are looking for?): http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&performance=ALL&frontWidth=185%2F&frontRatio=60&frontDiameter=14&rearWidth=195%2F&rearRatio=60&rearDiameter=14

Offline cal44

« Reply #2 on: Monday,September 22, 2014, 04:20:43 PM »
I have Vredesteins on the Elans.  Been buying them for years.  Used them on the 356's as well.
http://www.cokertire.com/brands/vredestein-tires/vredestein-sprint-classic-3983.html
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Monday,September 22, 2014, 08:48:32 PM »
Great options, Cal! I think I have heard about them from Jay Leno's Garage. It looks like they're keeping those old obsolete sizes alive!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Monday,September 22, 2014, 09:16:34 PM »
They are very well made tires also.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,September 23, 2014, 06:35:48 AM »
I'm running Falken Sincera 175-70/13 F and 185-70/13 R. They are a fine touring trire (and they look good too) which I purchase from Discount Tire on ebay. They are in the neighbourhood of $130/pr. I have to pay $40/tire to ship them to Canada but I think shipping is free in the US. I find the rear tire wear is a bit rapid, but I have alignment issues and it may be down to that.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,September 23, 2014, 07:21:38 AM »
Back when I got my Europa, it was said that steel belted tires would not work on Europas (I don't know if it was true then - they were a fairly new construction then) and Dunlops were supposed to be the best. The rears would last much less than 20,000 miles (I don't remember exactly but it might have been even less than 15,000 miles). The fronts would last 60,000 miles (unheard of life for the day). I think the Dunlops were much softer than most tires. Back then, I also heard that many Europas came with very excessive toe-in - like 1 degree or more- (I might have heard that from someone at the Lotus distributor I used to hang out at, but it was a long time ago so I'm not sure). That didn't surprise me given the short life of the rear tires and that it would be much better to err on the side of safety.

Unfortunately, I haven't driven my car long enough to comment on the tire life. It wouldn't surprise me to find that the rears would wear much faster than the fronts given the weight and and power that goes through them, and of course your are correct that alignment will play a big part.

Offline ron parola

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,September 23, 2014, 01:04:16 PM »
Thanks guys for the input, however nobody seems to love their tyres. I was thinking about the Goodrich gforces but reviews are pretty mixed. Wear is not really an issue with these cars so sticky may be better, who drives 50000 miles a year in a Lotus! Thanks rp

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,September 23, 2014, 05:31:23 PM »
Its very important to use good quality tires on an Europa.  The tires need to have virtually no run-out or out-of-roundness or you will have issues with vibration.

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,September 23, 2014, 06:55:01 PM »
Your're right JB! But something that I've found interesting is that tire related vibrations seem to smooth out at 90 mph!  :)

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,September 23, 2014, 09:03:37 PM »
... and/or as thew empty scotch glasses accumulate!

Offline ron parola

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,September 24, 2014, 03:14:45 PM »
any thoughts on Falken Azenis RT-615k's, maybe a bit more track oriented than needed, and I my case only come in 195/60r14, not 185, may need some adjustment to fit in the frt end rp

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,September 24, 2014, 10:04:28 PM »
No comments on the tyres simply because I've not used them, but I would check out the dimensions. I have 195/50 x15 on the front and there's plenty of clearance in normal running but on full lock I've noticed there has been contact at the outer edge of the tyre against the rear of the front wheelarch. Not enough to worry about or mark the tyre, but the paint is marked. This isn't apparent when the car is jacked up and wheels turned or even static on the garage floor, it's only when I'm in it and moving.

I ran 195/60x14 through my calculator and was surprised to find it's ever so slightly larger OD than mine (576mm vs 589mm). You might need spacers or some mods to get them on, or you might be lucky and your wheels have enough offset to make everything ok. Worth checking with a ruler though. 

Brian