Author Topic: Clutch adjustment per the manual  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

Clutch adjustment per the manual
« on: Thursday,September 18, 2014, 10:57:32 AM »
I'm slowly tying up loose ends on JPS 188 for it's initial startup. I read through the TCS manual supplement on clutch adjustment and it got me a bit confused. It has you set up initial free play at 0.1" at the release lever. You then adjust the clutch pedal forward stop to obtain an additional 0.63" at the release lever. That's almost 3/4" free play. Obviously, I'm not reading section correctly. Anyone adjust their clutch lately?

http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/tcwork/q/index.htm

Joji Tokumoto   

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Clutch adjustment per the manual
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,September 18, 2014, 11:32:21 AM »
Basically it is saying when the release lever has moved by 0.63" at the bellhousing, the stop on the back of the clutch pedal should be hitting the bulkhead.

So the clutch pedal has 0.1 free play at the gearbox end, plus 0.63" of travel at the gearbox end, before you can push the lever down with your foot any move. 

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,September 18, 2014, 01:41:27 PM »
I've just replaced my clutch and the actuating arm inside the bell-housing, so yep, I've just done that job. No measurements I'm afraid, it was all done by "feel".

I adjusted it by moving the external arm forwards (against the internal return spring pressure) until I could feel the release bearing coming into contact with the diaphragm springs, then setting the cable adjuster so that it was just lightly held in place. No real tension on the cable and certainly not enough to leave the bearing in constant contact with the clutch, but not flopping about loosely either.   

That leaves the return spring inside the bell-housing keeping some tension on the cable and in practice the operation feels ok. You can sense some play as the system tightens up and then weight up as the bearing starts to push the clutch springs.

Brian

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,September 21, 2014, 07:10:57 AM »
I've decided to do the clutch cable clearance by feel also. Push in the release lever by hand until resistance is felt then adjust the cable to get the required clearance.

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,September 21, 2014, 11:14:18 AM »
That's pretty much what I did.