Author Topic: New member. Information gratefully received.  (Read 1096 times)

Offline SimonR

New member. Information gratefully received.
« on: Thursday,November 13, 2014, 04:25:08 PM »
Hello to all.

For the last few months I have looked at a number of Esprits and Europas and yesterday I finally bought a Europa S2. The car had been laid up for 20 odd years until purchased in March by an enthusiast who has done a little light work on it. It is a 1971 car and it has been fitted with a Renault 807-03 engine and what appears to be a Weber 32 DAR carburetor. The gearbox is a five speed 365-32, which has required the chassis to be modified at the rear to fit it in. The previous owner had video of the engine running, but when I bought it this was not the case. My current plans are to spend a little time poking around and making an assessment of what's what, what's good and what's not.

Questions, does anyone know what the 807-03 engine was fitted in, I think it was a Renault 16TS, there is lots of info available on the 807 but I can find no reference to the -03 variant. Likewise lots of info on the 365 box but none on the -32 variant. And as for Mr Webber.......

I will start doing some in depth investigation in the next few days but in the meantime could anyone let me know if I'm going to have a car with five reverse gears. :blowup:

Simon

Online BDA

Re: New member. Information gratefully received.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,November 13, 2014, 07:42:23 PM »
If the motor isn't locked up and you know the firing order, it should be pretty easy to tell if you have five reverse gears!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,November 13, 2014, 11:49:07 PM »
Hi Simon, and  :Welcome:

Judging from the photo on the trailer, it looks like you've got yourself a tidy little project there, I haven't seen that style of aftermarket wheels in years !

I doubt I can be of much help on your request because I'm equally baffled by the number of numerical designations Renault seem to use.  I guess the best source of info would be the Renault clubs and I came across a spreadsheet which confirmed your suspicion that the engine came from a 16TS, 1974-80, and also a web page ( http://www.renault16.com/techniek_en.htm ) which notes the "03" variant and points to you having the correct Weber 32 DAR carburetor installed.

If you hadn't already seen it, that web page also seems to have links to parts & workshop manuals although I haven't checked them out myself.

It's really outside of my experience so I can only suggest the Yahoo Group knowledgebase on Jerry's site to see if anyone else has come across these variants. It covers all of the Yahoo group posts over probably 20+ years, so there's a lot of info hidden away there.

Brian

Offline digby

« Reply #3 on: Friday,November 14, 2014, 04:34:22 AM »
Hi Simon,
Welcome to the forum. The car looks very nice and will keep you busy for a while. Can not help regards the engine and gearbox ID but I'm in West London if you ever need beer and sympathy.  I've got a box of bits that will one day be an S2.

Richard

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Friday,November 14, 2014, 05:28:27 AM »
807-03 = detuned French crossflow:

http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/s1misc/PFEngineering.pdf

(It may well not be "detuned" now)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #5 on: Friday,November 14, 2014, 08:38:17 AM »
Welcome to the forum Simon  :Welcome: Looks like a pretty straight little S2 you have there. Very interesting wheels on it, I don't believe I have seen those before. I'm afraid I can't be much help on Renault engine matters, and my knowledge on transaxel specifics is weak as well. Brian's suggestion to check out the Europa Knowledge Base is a good one. Find it here http://www.lotus-europa.com/ in the menu on the left. Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline SimonR

« Reply #6 on: Friday,November 14, 2014, 10:28:28 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. The Renault site is a good pointer as is the Europe Knowledge Base so thanks for that. Brian thanks for the info on the -03 variant and Richard we should get together for a beer. The wheels are I understand off a Triumph Dolomite 1850HL. I suspect it might be a while before the car hits the road ;)

Simon