Author Topic: Accelerator Pedal  (Read 2010 times)

Offline TCS4605R

Accelerator Pedal
« on: Wednesday,October 15, 2014, 04:54:45 PM »
I am in the slow process of putting my 1974 TCS back together.  Attached is a photo of the accelerator pedal assembly in place.  My question is - how does the carpeting work around the part of the accelerator pedal assembly that is bolted to the side of the tunnel?  I don't remember how it looked 23 years ago when I took it apart.  Does the carpet go over the arm that secures the cable?  If anyone can take some photos, I'd appreciate it.

Tom
74 TCS - 4605R
« Last Edit: Thursday,October 16, 2014, 02:49:57 PM by LotusJoe »

Offline BDA

Re: Accelerator Pedal
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,October 15, 2014, 07:19:40 PM »
You'll just have to cut a hole where the cable piece (struggling for a name) is bolted on the tunnel. You'll need a slit or how for the cable, also. You bolt the "cable piece" to the tunnel after the carpet is installed. At least that's the best I can tell. You'll also need a slit or hole for the clutch cable.

Does that help?

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,October 15, 2014, 08:04:41 PM »
BDA,

So, as I understand you, the accelerator cable and its sheath (from the engine compartment) are hidden behind the carpet and the piece where the sheath lands (you called it the 'cable piece') peaks thru a slit in the carpet, the sheath lands on the 'cable piece' and the cable runs forward to the clevis at the accelerator pedal - correct?  And, the square piece that the photo shows pop riveted to the fiberglass is also hidden behind the carpet - correct?

Tom

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,October 15, 2014, 08:35:55 PM »
I think that's right. The "cable piece" bolted to the side of the tunnel probably deserves a small hole if you can make one rather than a slit but the truth is, it probably won't matter - especially if you are using the black carpet.

I have a different cable arrangement that is probably tougher to hide. I'm using a 3/16" push-pull control cable that has a threaded sheath. The sheath is tightened with two jam nuts to a piece of aluminum angle that is attached to the tunnel. The carpet has a pretty large slit because the cable hardware is so much bigger than the standard accelerator cable but it is not noticeable at all. If you know what's going on, you might notice the carpet, which is tan in color, is lumpy where the cable comes through but I doubt you'd notice it.

Here's the carburetor end of the cable to give you an idea of what I have.

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,October 15, 2014, 09:34:57 PM »
BDA,

I've got a Weber head (40DCOE's) on my twin cam - where did you source your accelerator cable.  Looks like something from Pegasus Auto Racing.  Do you have a return spring at the accelerator pedal in addition to one at the Webers??

Tom

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,October 15, 2014, 11:29:12 PM »
Tom,

My car is RHD so not exactly the same as yours but it doesn't have an extra spring on the mechanism, just the one on the carburetors.  I did try a home-made one because the dellorto return spring feels lighter than the webers on the Elan, but I wasn't convinced and scrapped it last year.

The throttle cable on mine is the inner/outer wire from a bicycle rear brake, which just needed trimming to length.  Admittedly not as flexy as some cables but in practice I can't tell any difference.  ::)

Brian 

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,October 16, 2014, 08:00:57 AM »
The cable is from Cablecraft (http://www.cablecraft.com/). Morse is another popular brand of push-pull cables and are more readily available since a lot of boat shops stock them, but the cablecraft cables are a lot more flexible. I don't remember where I got the throttle linkage but r.d. enterprises sells similar ones. The linkage has two return springs you can see in the lower right of the picture. You can't see it very well in this picture but I have a small coil spring that goes around the cable end between the rod end and the sheath as an extra safety precaution.

Brian is right about the difference in the cables. I used a Cablecraft cable for the throttle cable on my race car and thought I felt a difference but I really can't say that the difference wasn't at least partially imagined. They are great cables but pretty expensive and as you can see, they're a bit bulky and so my throttle cable "prints" through the carpet a bit. I also have one for the clutch which of course you can't really see.

Why did I get them? I didn't want to go through the hassle of adding a hydraulic clutch (ok, I wimped out  :() so the next best thing was a better cable. It is certainly much stronger and sealed better than the stock clutch cable. As for the throttle cable, I just went a little crazy!  ;D It obviously is a bit safer since it is a whole lot stronger and sealed better than a standard cable but it is a bit more trouble to implement and most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference at their feet.

Offline espurin

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,October 16, 2014, 12:02:26 PM »
Hi,
This is my stock condition carpet around the pedals.  Is this helpful?

Hiro

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,October 16, 2014, 02:07:39 PM »
Espurin & BDA,

Thank you both - that is exactly what I needed.

Tom

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Thursday,October 16, 2014, 05:19:58 PM »
Happy to help! Good luck with your project!