Author Topic: Quarter Window Seals - fitment  (Read 1772 times)

Offline jjbunn

Quarter Window Seals - fitment
« on: Saturday,October 04, 2014, 10:41:16 PM »
I have a new three piece rubber seal set from Dent for the 1/4 window, driver's side.

The seal that bears against the power window's frame is pretty obvious (if apparently a little large), and I see how it fits.

But I cannot understand how the other two seals that are supposed to fit in the 1/4 window angled channel are fitted. The seals have two grooves in them, running lengthways, one of which must be for the glass: but what edge is the other supposed to fit over? Does the seal really fit into the frame slot - it seems far too big?

I can post photos if it's unclear what I am talking about  :P

Help!?!

Thanks,
Julian

Online BDA

Re: Quarter Window Seals - fitment
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,October 05, 2014, 07:46:30 AM »
Hmmm... Pictures might help.

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,October 05, 2014, 10:19:43 AM »
Here's an end view of the seal, and the channel:

Online BDA

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,October 05, 2014, 11:47:25 AM »
That piece looks like what goes on the leading edge which seals against the door. The other pieces seal between the glass and the aluminum frame. See if this picture helps a bit: http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/tcparts/b/tcbc.pdf

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,October 05, 2014, 12:17:16 PM »
That piece looks like what goes on the leading edge which seals against the door. The other pieces seal between the glass and the aluminum frame. See if this picture helps a bit: http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/tcparts/b/tcbc.pdf

I'm still confused. There are two pieces like the one pictured: they are marked "11" in that diagram. The other piece is marked "12" and I see how it fits.

What is not clear to me is how the "11" pieces (like in my photo) attach to the aluminum frame channel in my photo. The frame attaches directly to the door aperture.

I've looked at my passenger door, which has the seals fitted, but I'm no clearer  :(

Online BDA

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,October 05, 2014, 12:40:50 PM »
I was partially mistaken. The seal in the picture is for both the leading edge and the bottom of the quarter window (#11), the other one (#12) is for the rear, vertical seal. The best I can figure is that the larger groove seals against the thick door and the bottom channel and door and the smaller groove is for the glass. Keep in mind that from the outside, all three of the pieces look the same (i.e. slim rather than the thicker appearance the leading and bottom pieces have looking from the inside. For the #12 piece, I believe the wider groove seals against the aluminum channel and the narrower groove against the glass.

The only pictures I have are from the exploded diagram I referenced and the r.d. enterprises picture. I looked at my car and it's hard to get much more of an idea about it. I think the key is that all three pieces look the same from the outside. My guess is that once you arrange it so that looks like what will happen, it will become clearer.

Let me know if that helps.

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,October 05, 2014, 01:41:05 PM »
Yes, thanks, this helps: it's becoming clearer! I think I need to position the frame in the door, then look at orientations of the seal that result in the same thickness of rubber appearing around the frame on the outside, compared with the fitted seals on my passenger door.

Perhaps the key point is that the seal needs to go over the frame *and* the lip on the door that the frame abuts?

Julian

Online BDA

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,October 05, 2014, 03:34:46 PM »
I think you're right. On the forward edge and the bottom edge, I think it will go over the frame and the door.