Author Topic: Quarterlight glass  (Read 437 times)

Offline RafM

Quarterlight glass
« on: Monday,June 21, 2021, 09:26:19 AM »
Has anyone fitted a quarterlight glass as a stand alone job? ie, with all of the frame and sliding window already fixed in place.

It's looks pretty awkward but will the glass actually go in, I'm guessing the point at the top will have to go in first as it sits slightly under
the small piece of cover trim.

Offline SwiftDB4

Re: Quarterlight glass
« Reply #1 on: Monday,June 21, 2021, 11:04:28 AM »
I always removed the frame, inserted the glass in the frame, and installed as a unit.

Offline RafM

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,June 23, 2021, 03:28:34 PM »
I always removed the frame, inserted the glass in the frame, and installed as a unit.

Thanks, I've now done one side like that.

It was very awkward as I was using new rubbers but went in eventually.

Offline RafM

« Reply #3 on: Friday,June 25, 2021, 04:38:34 AM »
I have now fitted the door glass on both sides of the car, it was without doubt the worst job ever and I'll share my thoughts for anyone else that has to do this.

The alloy frames were in poor order, with lot's of deep pitting. I got a mini random orbital sander and started with p80 grit paper and gradually worked through the grades to p2000, then used a polishing compound
on a foam mop and finally metal polish and a sheepskin mop. The results are acceptable I think.

The biggest problem stemmed from the fact that both doors were new and I had no kind of guide, other that looking at photos and trying to remember the set up on previous cars.
I test fitted the frames before painting but should also have drilled all of the holes, cut the new rubbers and installed the glass as well. As it was, I needed to grind out the door moulding in various places, as the
frames were such a tight fit after painting. Also, the quarterlight rubber has an inner lip, which fits over a raised step on the door moulding, this fibreglass step was too thick and  the rubber was incredibly difficult
to install and doesn't sit right on one side at the moment. I left the vertical rubber until last, once the quarterlight glass was installed I fitted 4mm wedges between the vertical sliding glass frame and the glass itself, this
left enough room to carefully push the rubber through the gap and seat it in place. The results are not perfect but pretty reasonable, plus I didn't break any glass, the alloy frames or scratch the paint.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #4 on: Friday,June 25, 2021, 06:11:20 AM »
I think that is a very commendable job - well done !!! (I have all this to look forward to)  :'(

Offline RafM

« Reply #5 on: Friday,June 25, 2021, 06:25:05 AM »
I think that is a very commendable job - well done !!! (I have all this to look forward to)  :'(

Thanks, as I said, take the time to really test fit everything properly if you can.

Also, I put sealer under the bottom of the outer side of the sliding window frame and 1/3 of the way up the rear channel
when installing,

I'm going to fill any gaps up inside and out now that everything is fitted.

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Friday,June 25, 2021, 06:41:20 AM »
I don’t know, I think it looks spectacular! I think you give yourself way too little credit. Well done!  :beerchug:

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #7 on: Friday,June 25, 2021, 12:30:48 PM »
Looks great from here!     :beerchug:
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline dakazman

« Reply #8 on: Friday,June 25, 2021, 03:11:53 PM »
    Good job !
 BUT , if it doesn’t pass a water test I suggest a small tube of  ac-251 black b2. A 3.5 oz tube should be enough to seam the seals . Carefully tape off straight lines and smear in a mixed portion of the sealant and lift the rubber up and down to identify the seam . Then clean off excess to that point. Do not get ti on any other part of trim . It is hard to get off when it sets up.

BTW,    I LOVE YOUR PAINT SCHEME!
Dakazman

Offline RafM

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,June 26, 2021, 07:34:01 AM »
    Good job !
 BUT , if it doesn%u2019t pass a water test I suggest a small tube of  ac-251 black b2. A 3.5 oz tube should be enough to seam the seals . Carefully tape off straight lines and smear in a mixed portion of the sealant and lift the rubber up and down to identify the seam . Then clean off excess to that point. Do not get ti on any other part of trim . It is hard to get off when it sets up.

BTW,    I LOVE YOUR PAINT SCHEME!
Dakazman

Thanks, it definitely won't pass the water test yet! I have a tube of polyester sealer ready to go, I'll mask everything off first and caulk up all round the frames.

If the rubbers let in water I'll get some sealant from a friend who is a windscreen fitter.

« Last Edit: Saturday,June 26, 2021, 07:38:05 AM by RafM »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,June 26, 2021, 08:05:18 AM »
  Probably cheaper also. This is aircraft grade.

Get the name and mfg number of the sealant he uses .
Dakazman