Author Topic: Europa front end bra  (Read 631 times)

Offline Pfreen

Europa front end bra
« on: Friday,January 10, 2020, 11:14:57 AM »
There are a lot of dump trucks on South Florida ruining paint jobs with stone chips.  Does anyone know of a bra made for a Lotus Europa?

Offline Rosco5000

Re: Europa front end bra
« Reply #1 on: Friday,January 10, 2020, 12:25:29 PM »
I would suggest finding your local car wrapping place and see what they can do for putting a clear 3M protective vinyl on the car.  Usually they offer options on how much of the car you want covered. The clear vinyl is quite good.  I have it on my wife's Escalade and it keeps things projected from chips.
R
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #2 on: Friday,January 10, 2020, 12:32:01 PM »
I thought about that.  I was kind of thinking that with the bra, I could take it off at shows.

Can the 3m vinyl be removed? 

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Friday,January 10, 2020, 12:54:37 PM »
I've never seen or heard of a bra for a Europa. From what I am told, they can trap water underneath potentially causing future paint problems.

I believe Rosco is talking about what is sometimes called a "clear bra." I saw one on an S2000 and it was nearly invisible. The only thing you could see - and you had to look for it - wais the line of the end of the "bra." I believe they can be taken off without damage to your paint (I don't know why you would want to), but you should check first. A good wrapping or tint place should be able to handle it but it will be probably be more expensive than for newer cars because there won't be any patterns for a 40+ year old car.

Tint World does Clear Bras (https://www.tintworld.com/services/automotive-services/car-protection-film/paint-protection-film-kits/). I have used Tint World up here in NC and they've been pretty good (admittedly, I don't have much to compare them too). They tinted my Mercedes C230 and my Europa. The Europa was more challenging since, as I said, there are no patterns for it, but they did a great job. I plan on getting a shade tint on the windshield since I sit too high for visors to be useful. They have several locations in your area (https://www.tintworld.com/search-location).
« Last Edit: Friday,January 10, 2020, 01:05:21 PM by BDA »

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #4 on: Friday,January 10, 2020, 02:48:08 PM »
I found a place on the west coast that would do a custom group order (20) if someone in the L.A. area would bring their car in for the exact fit dimensions.  It is the only thing they manufacture. carbras.com  I would definitely in on tht one.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Friday,January 10, 2020, 02:54:02 PM »
The old fashioned black "bras" for the front of the car also had issues.  Movement of the bra due to air flow/wind could scratch the paint.  Long term bra use could lead to "tan lines" where the faded paint met the covered paint.

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #6 on: Friday,January 10, 2020, 03:00:32 PM »
I used a bra on my BMW 2002 for years. The key is to wash it and the car regularly and not leave it on the car for extended periods of time. I liked the look on the 2002, somehow can't see one on the Europa.

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #7 on: Friday,January 10, 2020, 03:16:55 PM »
Well, my stone chips went from the spoiler to 6” up on the front of the hood.  I don’t think film would be attractive there. I would not cover the spoiler with a bra.  I would use the 3m film there.

The comments about the bra are interesting.  I keep my car in a garage so I don’t think paint fading would be a problem.  Abrasive wear of the paint could be a problem if you just left the bra on all the time.

How many of you all would be interested in a group buy?   I would be willing to try one.

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #8 on: Friday,January 10, 2020, 03:42:39 PM »
Paul, you have to stop "tail gating" those trucks! :)   Seriously though, following too closely is most of the problem.   Stay way back or go around them.    I had a bra for my M100 Elan that I fit, then immediately took off and stored away, never to use.   Changes the whole look, risks JBC pointed out, and fiddlely process to install kept me away.   I tried selling it on the LEC forum and no one expressed interest.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline bert knip

« Reply #9 on: Friday,January 10, 2020, 04:01:41 PM »
Yesterday your car looked great, Bert

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #10 on: Friday,January 10, 2020, 04:36:38 PM »
Here you go.....I’m sure it can be adapted to a Europa.

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #11 on: Friday,January 10, 2020, 05:04:16 PM »
Here you go.....I’m sure it can be adapted to a Europa.
I always liked Gurney bumps.

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #12 on: Friday,January 10, 2020, 06:26:43 PM »
I got some stone chips because I drove it over 4000 miles this year.  I just touched up the chips, and I was trying to find a good solution to avoid having to that.  It is not too hard to fix the chips since I have single stage paint.