Author Topic: New Chassis !  (Read 326 times)

Offline jetstream

New Chassis !
« on: Wednesday,July 13, 2022, 01:05:23 PM »
Hi Europa owners , I am restoring an 1970 S2 and need to replace the chassis and might do an engine change . in the past i have used Spyder Sport for Chassis' on my Elan's , I have E-mailed them but am getting no response are they still doing this kind of work or would i be better off going to Banks ! I am U/K based ,sorry for the long winded script .cheers Pete.

Offline europa88

• Europa88
Re: New Chassis !
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,July 13, 2022, 01:08:04 PM »
This would be my first port of call. Chassis is made by Richard winter I believe.

https://www.lotus-supplies.com/parts/chassis/chassis-chassis/chassis-lotus-s2/
If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver.

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,July 13, 2022, 01:13:28 PM »
If you're thinking of an engine change I would call Spyder. I don't think Richard answers e mails either. I bought one of their chassis years ago and the additional access of the tube frame made my Zetec conversion much easier.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,July 13, 2022, 01:37:06 PM »
First off...  :Welcome: jetstream!!

Swift is right, Richard does not do email. I think the guys a Lotus Supplies do but I'd call them anyway.

I have a pre space frame Spyder frame that is very similar to what Lotus Supplies sells. I like it but I think europa88 is right that Spyder can probably cater more specifically to your engine swap. That is a supposition so I'd call both places and discuss what you're wanting to do with them.

Have you made a decision on which motor you want to use. Probably the most popular swap is a Zetec. That means that you'll probably get the most support from frame builders and accessory vendors. For example, Dunnell has made a beautiful set of headers for a buddy of mine. I'd imagine he can provide them for you easily.

I know I speak for everybody here when I say we'd love to see some pictures of your baby - for that matter, we'd all like to track your progress as you restore her!

Good luck!

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,July 13, 2022, 04:06:46 PM »
Spyder doesn't seem to respond to emails. I had to phone them from Canada. Took 9 months to  get the chassis. Fantastic job and the chassis fit perfectly. Good luck!

Offline jetstream

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,July 14, 2022, 07:04:43 AM »
Hi guys ,Thank you for the welcome and advice ,i called Spyder and they said to put my enquiry in an e/mail to Sean ,that was 3 weeks ago !! I will call both Spyder and Lotus Supplies again and keep you posted of my progress . My choice of engines is split between a Lotus T/c and a Zetec .both of which i have ! I think i am likely to use the Zetec  Cheers Pete.

Offline jetstream

« Reply #6 on: Friday,July 15, 2022, 02:30:28 PM »
Hi guys ,at last a response from Sean at Spyder ! needs photo's of what i have ! so over the w/e will sort stuff out .hopefully things will get under way and i can post some updates ,Pete.