Author Topic: s2 wiper switch removal  (Read 2533 times)

Offline exarkun1178

s2 wiper switch removal
« on: Saturday,June 01, 2013, 02:38:58 PM »
Any one know how to remove the wiper switch?

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: s2 wiper switch removal
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,June 01, 2013, 10:41:13 PM »
If it's the same as the TC & Elan (washer pump & switch combo) then to get the plastic knob off the end there's a small button in the side which you depress & then the plastic part will slide off.

As for getting the rest out of the dash, I have no idea about the correct method. What I did was bash a bit of copper pipe to fit the nut hidden away in the recess (I had a spare to make the pattern) and then disconnect the wiring at the back and twist. Probably all wrong, definitely ham-fisted bodging, but it came out. (and more importantly, went back  :)   )

Mine wasn't tightly in, I guess you might be able to just twist it out with any luck ?  Whatever method, make sure you keep all the parts and the assembly order as I think they're hard to find these days. Although they were fitted to lots of UK Fords IIRC ?

Brian

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,June 02, 2013, 03:13:31 AM »
Brian, the nut, way down inside the steel mounting bezel should have 2 slots in it.  A pair of needle nose pliers works nicely to unthread it.  Be careful when putting it back, since the plastic threads strips easily... Don't ask me how I know :headbanger:
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,June 02, 2013, 04:46:31 AM »
Thanks guys,  i do have needle nose.  ill give that method a shot.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Sunday,June 02, 2013, 10:02:05 AM »
Brian, the nut, way down inside the steel mounting bezel should have 2 slots in it.  A pair of needle nose pliers works nicely to unthread it.  Be careful when putting it back, since the plastic threads strips easily... Don't ask me how I know :headbanger:

Umm... I know what you mean but  that's not what I had.   It was a proper nut but a very thin one and I remember doing it because it was such a mess. I even tried jamming it with a screwdriver at one point.  If it's not standard then the DPO must have changed it because I haven't. From your comment about striping the threads, is it plastic ?

Brian

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #5 on: Sunday,June 02, 2013, 02:40:13 PM »
Brian:

It's been a while since I've been in there, so I may be mistaken about the slots, but needle nose pliers would still work, even without them.   The nut itself is metal, but the threaded shaft coming out of the pump/switch is plastic.  That's the part I stripped trying to tighten it too much.  It didn't take much to strip it, so maybe the PO had also over-tightened it.  The permanent repair would be to get a smaller nut and re-thread the plastic part.

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,June 02, 2013, 03:38:57 PM »
the needle nose did the trck.  thank you for the advise.

now i got to figure out how im going to mount all the switches and other  that was screwed into the rear of the wood dash into the new aluminum.

Think gorilla glue will do the trick?

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #7 on: Monday,June 03, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »
I thought I had already responded to this, but I guess I didn't.  You can order, very inexpensively from Harbor Freight an aluminum welding rod that melts at very low temperatures, so a propane torch is all you'll need to use it.  If you cut small aluminum blocks, drill and tap them, it would be an easy job to tack each one to the proper spot behind your dash.  I used this rod to build my aluminum battery box, which is as strong as any welded with "proper" rods.  The only caveat is, aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat, so you'll need to protect the welds you've just made, from the welds you're about to make.  If not, you'll see your completed welds puddle away.  Aluminum doesn't discolor like steel does when heated, so the finish on your dash won't be harmed.  Weld and install.  No cleanup necessary.

If this isn't to your liking, duct tape is always available:)

Bruce

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,June 05, 2013, 04:03:50 AM »
bruce,

will be headed out to hft this weekend to look for that stuff.  my other idea was gorilla glue.  i can cut a few pieces of pine, and glue that to the back of dash.

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,June 05, 2013, 11:30:36 AM »
the needle nose did the trck.  thank you for the advise.

now i got to figure out how im going to mount all the switches and other  that was screwed into the rear of the wood dash into the new aluminum.

Think gorilla glue will do the trick?

A two part epoxy may work.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,June 05, 2013, 02:16:04 PM »
If you're going to use an adhesive, you may want to try one that's flexible, like 3M5200.   Epoxy or other ridged adhesives will be more susceptible to failure due to vibration, which your car is guaranteed to have.